Page 3 of 13  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next
7 years ago  ::  Oct 25, 2007 - 9:28PM #21
religionfree
[QUOTE=javababe;16070]That's interesting. In practice it seems that way as well; there are cliques within the religious network of church and folks usually are discouraged from 'mingling' with those of other groups. Folks who are former churchgoers know exactly what I mean.  That is why I turn down offers to attend church. Im now seeking other methods of spiritual expression in solitary and with others, if I can find those of likeminded seeking. (no luck thus far)[/QUOTE]

I understand exactly what you are saying here.  I tried that for a time, because I rather missed the grouping-together.  I then, had a full understanding that I would never find a group of like-minded believers.  Why?  Because we are SOOOO individualistic.  I am now okay with this.  This is one of the reasons that I like coming to BN, because there are more people who are close enough to my beliefs than are not.
"When I don't know who I Am, I follow You
When I know who I am, You & I are One"

Namaste
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2007 - 2:43PM #22
silverjudy
I didn't know a group such as this existed.  See what you can find when you search the web?  What a great find.

I have always felt as an outsider since I knew there were other ways to believe ourside of organized religion.  As a child and young adult, I was never comfortable in the church my family belonged to.  I attended, it was expected, but my mental questions were never explained.  I kept my thoughts ro myself. 

It was only upon leaving Louisiana and setteling in NYC, that I was comfortable exploring other ways to believe.  What a wonderful freedom!

I don't know how to explain my beliefs, except to say they are deeply rooted in GOD and JESUS, and are certainly spiritual.  My trip has been long and sometimes difficult in erasing all the hurts and hang-ups I once had, and erace them I have.  I won't go into the ways and means, a long story, amazing to me that I have reached the pinacle I now occupy.  I am so thankful and blessed to be as I am at this point, and hope to learn much more from this group, if you will let me. 

I am in my early 80's, always young at heart and open to all good things.  .

Blessings to all of you, SilverJudy ( I am a silversmith.)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2007 - 11:44PM #23
anap
Hi everyone....

This caught my eye. I am spiritual but not religious.

I am a Buddhist but I also believe in God, Angels and Saints. I do chant but not as often as I should. I do meditate and I often speak to God.
I was raised Catholic and once I became an adult I realized I did not agreed with the Catholicism teachings.

I do not agree when people say that if I am not saved I will go to hell. I believe that hell and heaven exists right here right now. It all depends on one's life condition.
I also believe that the actions we make today will have consequences tomorrow.

Am I making sense? I hope so.... BTW: First time posting on here. I usually hang around the singles board.

AP
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2007 - 8:26PM #24
nahwal
I like that question, and it's been a while since I ve jumped into a thread or forum or whatever............
Spiritual but not religious.  To me that means not moving around filled with convictions & beliefs that are not my own.  And being open-handed , with an empty dock allows me to receive new & fresh information & knowledge and keep that which touches me & discard the rest.  I find belief systems quite limiting.  Personally I love pragmatism.

"Truth & meaning are determined by one's actions and the consequences of those actions." Unknown

"Religion is for people who don't want to go to hell -
Spirit is for those who've been there."    Anonymous
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2007 - 11:48PM #25
anap
[QUOTE=nahwal;39173]I like that question, and it's been a while since I ve jumped into a thread or forum or whatever............
Spiritual but not religious.  To me that means not moving around filled with convictions & beliefs that are not my own.  And being open-handed , with an empty dock allows me to receive new & fresh information & knowledge and keep that which touches me & discard the rest.  I find belief systems quite limiting.  Personally I love pragmatism.

"Truth & meaning are determined by one's actions and the consequences of those actions." Unknown

"Religion is for people who don't want to go to hell -
Spirit is for those who've been there."    Anonymous[/QUOTE]

Love the quote in the end
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 8:30PM #26
Bravo88
Holistic presumably means a whole approach (as opposed to a partial?) to spirituality?  Religion I presume refers to having a religion so possibly holistic is more like individiualistic?

Having said that, I am Christian having entered the faith after accepting Jesus Christ into my life.  I have attempted to look at other faiths/religions though perhaps the source material was biased one way or another.  I agree wholeheartedly with what the Christian faith expresses and describes.  I find, whether biased or not, that other religions or belief systems cannot compare favourably with it.

As to another poster's claim that "we are all seekers of truth", I have to strongly disagree unless the statement refers to only Beliefnet members.  Why?  Well, I do not think that criminals are seekers of truth, therefore not all humans are "truth seekers".   Some people are genuinely seeking truth, one wonders though whether they will find it or not. 

As for me, I was not seeking truth or not consciously before becoming a Christian.  I have since then examined other faiths, examined my own and in a sense become a "truth seeker" but mostly I seek to have better relationships with the people whom I meet or as much as my contrary human spirit will allow me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 2:42PM #27
Maireaine
Hi there everyone!  I officially joined BN...um...yesterday, I think.  Though I've been poking around here for a couple weeks.  I stumbled across this forum today, and thought that my Daily Buddhist Wisdom for today was appropriate.

"I believe there is an important distinction to be made between religion and spirituality. Religion I take to be concerned with belief in the claims to salvation of one faith tradition or another--an aspect of which is acceptance of some form of meta-physical or philosophical reality, including perhaps an idea of heaven or hell. Connected with this are religious teachings or dogma, ritual, prayers and so on. Spirituality I take to be concerned with those qualities of the human spirit--such as love and compassion, patience, tolerance, forgiveness, contentment, a sense of responsibility, a sense of harmony, which bring happiness to both self and others."

--His Holiness the Dalai Lama

I was raised in the Church of Christ (not LDS).  My father was a minister, so I am a preacher's kid!  :-O  I've been interested in other religions my entire life, because what was taught in Sunday School just didn't seem to be the whole picture, if that makes any sense.  I fully understand the widespread sentiment against organized religion, I share it myself.  Things have gotten interesting in the last few years, as my husband is Catholic, and I, obviously am not.  Hmm...I think I got a little off topic there.  Sorry!  :-D
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 2:43PM #28
hithrael

anap wrote:

I believe that hell and heaven exists right here right now. It all depends on one's life condition.
I also believe that the actions we make today will have consequences tomorrow.

Am I making sense? I hope so.... BTW: First time posting on here. I usually hang around the singles board.

AP

I have to say that what you said right there really struck me, as its something I think about but never quite manage to say.  It reminds me of what Achilles said [I believe in Dante's Inferno] about better to be a pauper alive than king amongst the dead.

~N

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2007 - 9:42AM #29
spiritalk
Sites like Beliefnet and other spirituality groups on the internet have become the religion of the modern era.  They have replaced the churches in drawing a crowd.  People have turned away from the old and tried in churches. 

There are more modern religious groups meeting to examine individual spirituality in a holistic manner.  They have replaced the old and tired.  They, too, are drawing the attention of those who like to meet in groups.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2007 - 1:58PM #30
piecesofthewhole
I just wanted to say that I really enjoy reading your definitions of "holistic spirituality". 

Thank you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 13  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook