Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View 14 Out of How Many?
1 year ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 4:36PM #11
MMarcoe

Oct 30, 2015 -- 2:53PM, Aka_me wrote:

Oct 30, 2015 -- 1:29PM, MMarcoe wrote:

We educate ourselves so we can make positive changes.

It's better to light one candle than to curse the darkness.

Are you cursing the darkness? Does it make you feel good to do that?

I'm not faulting you... I just see it as wishful thinking. like expecting aliens to save us.

my view of reality is "we're driving to the hospital with contractions getting closer and closer together!"

after birthing pains finish a whole new world will unfold before us. whether:

1. environmental issues

2. debt implosion

3. large scale conventional war

4. social issues from scientific progress (think printing ak47's at the rate we print 8.5x11 pages today then mount on drones enabling ONE person to perform a charlie hebdo attack PER major city, on a daily basis)

pushes us over the edge is neither here nor there

today's paradigm is NOT sustainable, bring on the crises, and get us through the birthing pains FASTER rather than slower.

You said "After birthing pains finish a whole new world will unfold before us."

I agree with that to some extent, but I also believe that the new world is unfolding even now, and has been slowly unfolding for hundreds of years.

So I see both the birthing pains and the new world occurring simultaneously.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is the original nothingness of the universe.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 4:38PM #12
MMarcoe

Oct 30, 2015 -- 3:35PM, solfeggio wrote:

Sadly enough, I have to agree with Midutch, Rabello, and Aka_me that I just don't think our world is going to be one we'd be pleased to leave to our grandchildren.

And, because of climate change, rising and acidic oceans, so many species going extinct, and probably most especially overpopulation, I don't even think our world will be a very pleasant place in which to live in another fifty or one hundred years.

I can't say that I think my country of New Zealand might be a better place to live,either, mainly because we have so much erosion and species depletion from the dairy industry over the country.  Raising enormous numbers of cattle is a great way to destroy your land and everything in it.  And our government isn't doing anything to address this serious problem.

I can only imagine what is happening in other countries, and what the people in charge of those countries plan to do to at least halt the destruction.

If I sound bitter, it's because I am.  Over the years, I've become a glass-is-half-empty sort of person, sorry to say.

I used to be like you. Then I decided to start reading the data. And the data says things are getting better overall, despite numerous setbacks. Even many of the setbacks are paving the way for better things to come.

From the data, I believe I can conclude that the future will be better than the past and present.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 5:17PM #13
rabello

Extinction is forever

And 60+ elephants in Zimbabwe have been poisoned to death with cyanide and then beheaded just for their ivory tusks in less than 2 months time -- and that's in the PRESERVE where Cecil the Lion lived

It is appalling

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
There is no such thing as "illegals"
LGBT Lives Matter
Poor Women's Lives Matter

"If we jump too quickly to the universal formulation, 'all lives matter,' then we miss the fact that black people have not yet been included in the idea of 'all lives.'"

--Professor Judith Butler
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 5:33PM #14
MMarcoe

Oct 30, 2015 -- 5:17PM, rabello wrote:

Extinction is forever

And 60+ elephants in Zimbabwe have been poisoned to death with cyanide and then beheaded just for their ivory tusks in less than 2 months time -- and that's in the PRESERVE where Cecil the Lion lived

It is appalling

Right. I did not say otherwise, in case that was lost on you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 5:35PM #15
Stardove

Maybe all is not lost!

Lazarus species: 13 'extinct' animals found alive

Rediscovered

They're called "Lazarus species" — creatures that have disappeared, sometimes for millions of years, only to miraculously be rediscovered again in modern times. Just as Lazarus was raised from the dead by Jesus in the Gospel of John, so these species manage to survive. Their rediscoveries are a bewildering reminder that when given a chance, life finds a way to survive. Here's a short list of 13 animals long-feared extinct that, in fact, have been rediscovered.

Pictures and more information found at link.

And then this:

9 newly discovered species

In all the time that humankind has been scientifically categorizing life, we've managed to get slightly fewer than 2 million species catalogued. About 46 new species were discovered every day in 2006, according to researchers at Arizona State University's International Institute for Species Exploration. Some scientists say that Earth could hold as many as 100 million different species, so we still have our work cut out for us.

Most new species are small invertebrates that would be overlooked by anyone other than a scientist; however, every now and then we stumble across a new monkey, large lizard or some other incredible animal that we've never seen before. Here are nine amazing newly.

Pictures and more information at link.

Guess my glass is filling up.  Wink

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove

People change for two main reasons: either their minds have been opened or their hearts have been broken.
---Anonymous

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 5:36PM #16
rabello

And now federal lands are open the US for wolf and coyote hunting, when, just like Florida's black bears, they just came off the endangered species list

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
There is no such thing as "illegals"
LGBT Lives Matter
Poor Women's Lives Matter

"If we jump too quickly to the universal formulation, 'all lives matter,' then we miss the fact that black people have not yet been included in the idea of 'all lives.'"

--Professor Judith Butler
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook