Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View 14 Out of How Many?
1 year ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 8:43AM #1
Midutch
www.csmonitor.com/Science/2015/1022/14-a...

I know there are people here on Bnet who really don't give a cr@p, but what kind of world do you want to leave to your children and grandchildren?

Me, personally, I am very sad that my grandchildren will inherit a world that does not have the Formosan Cloud Leopard (and all of the rest) in it. I have never seen one, was not likely to ever see a one in real life, but knowing it is gone saddens me tremendously.

www.pixable.com/article/heres-every-sing...
"creationism" ... 2000+ years worth of ABYSMAL FAILURE ... and proud of it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 9:34AM #2
rabello

It is very sad and what we have today is not anything even close to what I envisioned for the future when I was in my 20s and 30s.   I thought the environmental and "back to nature" movements of the late 60s and the 70s would be consciousness raising for the entire planet.  Instead, people got mad at ecologists and decided that "trees cause pollution"

So, no, the world we are leaving to future generations is not one that I want to leave for them

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
There is no such thing as "illegals"
LGBT Lives Matter
Poor Women's Lives Matter

"If we jump too quickly to the universal formulation, 'all lives matter,' then we miss the fact that black people have not yet been included in the idea of 'all lives.'"

--Professor Judith Butler
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 10:21AM #3
Aka_me

www.eoearth.org/view/article/150962/

someday we're going to NEED to become willing to talk about solutions to overpopulation

or... not, and just wait for catastrophy to handle it for us.

I dream in my lifetime uhmericans will come to realize hezbollah, hamas, and isis gain followers by helping society AND the only way to defeat them is to perform greater good.

the average person is 8 times more likely to be murdered by a cop than a radical terrorist
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 11:58AM #4
MMarcoe

Oct 30, 2015 -- 9:34AM, rabello wrote:

It is very sad and what we have today is not anything even close to what I envisioned for the future when I was in my 20s and 30s.   I thought the environmental and "back to nature" movements of the late 60s and the 70s would be consciousness raising for the entire planet.  Instead, people got mad at ecologists and decided that "trees cause pollution"

So, no, the world we are leaving to future generations is not one that I want to leave for them

Your cynicism aside (BTW, "people" did not decide that trees caused pollution), and certain things to the contrary, the world is improving overall. We will likely lose several more species, but the world we leave to our grandkids will be better than the one it is today.

We can thank communications and awareness for making this possible.

Don't be a cynic.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is the original nothingness of the universe.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 12:38PM #5
Aka_me

Oct 30, 2015 -- 11:58AM, MMarcoe wrote:

Don't be a cynic.

not being a cynic REQUIRES not being aware of the big picture...

Scientists estimate we’re now losing species at 1,000 to 10,000 times the background rate, with literally dozens going extinct every day [1]. It could be a scary future indeed, with as many as 30 to 50 percent of all species possibly heading toward extinction by mid-century [2].

we're in the midst of the sixth mass extinction.

continued human population growth will only make matters worse for species like cod.

mother nature will fix what humans are incapable of talking about (overpopulation).

I dream in my lifetime uhmericans will come to realize hezbollah, hamas, and isis gain followers by helping society AND the only way to defeat them is to perform greater good.

the average person is 8 times more likely to be murdered by a cop than a radical terrorist
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 12:54PM #6
Midutch

Oct 30, 2015 -- 12:38PM, Aka_me wrote:

Don't be a cynic.

Scientists estimate we’re now losing species at 1,000 to 10,000 times the background rate, with literally dozens going extinct every day. It could be a scary future indeed, with as many as 30 to 50 percent of all species possibly heading toward extinction by mid-century.

For some people, this is the world getting better and better every single day.

"creationism" ... 2000+ years worth of ABYSMAL FAILURE ... and proud of it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 1:29PM #7
MMarcoe

Don't be a cynic.

Scientists estimate we’re now losing species at 1,000 to 10,000 times the background rate, with literally dozens going extinct every day [1]. It could be a scary future indeed, with as many as 30 to 50 percent of all species possibly heading toward extinction by mid-century [2].

continued human population growth will only make matters worse for species like cod.

mother nature will fix what humans are incapable of talking about (overpopulation).

Not being a cynic REQUIRES not being aware of the big picture, you say?

Nonsense.

Not being a cynic requires BEING AWARE of the big picture, because information is necessary in order to formulate plans to take action.

We educate ourselves so we can make positive changes.

It's better to light one candle than to curse the darkness.

Are you cursing the darkness? Does it make you feel good to do that?

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 1:31PM #8
MMarcoe

Oct 30, 2015 -- 12:54PM, Midutch wrote:

Don't be a cynic.

Scientists estimate we’re now losing species at 1,000 to 10,000 times the background rate, with literally dozens going extinct every day. It could be a scary future indeed, with as many as 30 to 50 percent of all species possibly heading toward extinction by mid-century.

For some people, this is the world getting better and better every single day.

Uh, no, and your response is inaccurate and way off-base.

Optimists do not disregard bad information. They integrate it in the service of lighting their candles against the darkness.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 2:53PM #9
Aka_me

Oct 30, 2015 -- 1:29PM, MMarcoe wrote:

We educate ourselves so we can make positive changes.

It's better to light one candle than to curse the darkness.

Are you cursing the darkness? Does it make you feel good to do that?

I'm not faulting you... I just see it as wishful thinking. like expecting aliens to save us.

my view of reality is "we're driving to the hospital with contractions getting closer and closer together!"

after birthing pains finish a whole new world will unfold before us. whether:

1. environmental issues

2. debt implosion

3. large scale conventional war

4. social issues from scientific progress (think printing ak47's at the rate we print 8.5x11 pages today then mount on drones enabling ONE person to perform a charlie hebdo attack PER major city, on a daily basis)

pushes us over the edge is neither here nor there

today's paradigm is NOT sustainable, bring on the crises, and get us through the birthing pains FASTER rather than slower.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 3:35PM #10
solfeggio

Sadly enough, I have to agree with Midutch, Rabello, and Aka_me that I just don't think our world is going to be one we'd be pleased to leave to our grandchildren.

And, because of climate change, rising and acidic oceans, so many species going extinct, and probably most especially overpopulation, I don't even think our world will be a very pleasant place in which to live in another fifty or one hundred years.

I can't say that I think my country of New Zealand might be a better place to live,either, mainly because we have so much erosion and species depletion from the dairy industry over the country.  Raising enormous numbers of cattle is a great way to destroy your land and everything in it.  And our government isn't doing anything to address this serious problem.

I can only imagine what is happening in other countries, and what the people in charge of those countries plan to do to at least halt the destruction.

If I sound bitter, it's because I am.  Over the years, I've become a glass-is-half-empty sort of person, sorry to say.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook