Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

2 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2015 - 11:32PM #1
habesor
Discussing the Arab-Israeli conflict on this forum has been an interesting experience and I have also learned quite a bit. I wondered what I should post as a last message and decided to re-post something that I wrote and posted four years ago. Not only is it based on what I think is the root cause of the conflict but it is a suggestion of eleven principles upon which a peace agreement could be based. At the end I provide my real name and an address of sorts. To all of the participants here I wish you health and happiness.  Here is what I wrote four years ago in its entirety.

Principles for a Palestinian-Israeli Peace Agreement

The following should be viewed as a set of general proposals or principles upon which a peace agreement to be negotiated between the State of Israel and the Palestinian Authority should be based. It is my opinion that the Palestinian party to the negotiation should be a Palestinian State. However at the moment one does not exist and my preference is to work with what exists now rather than add the complicating issue of statehood for the Palestinians to the situation. It should be recognized that the end result of the proposed principles is, among other things, Palestinian statehood.

The principles below do not constitute a peace agreement. The details of such an agreement would be worked out through direct negotiations between the two parties. The principles are based on generally accepted practices under international law, precedents of existing successfully functioning political arrangements and institutions and, where possible, reciprocity. The principles are also based on lessons drawn from past attempts, both successes and failures, of peacemaking efforts in the Middle East and elsewhere. The order of these principles is not random but represents the order of each element of agreement which, in my opinion, must be concluded before the next can be negotiated.

1. The agreement will be an end of conflict agreement. Once negotiated, signed and properly ratified, no additional claims or demands by either party can be made against the other.

2. The Palestinian Authority will formally recognize the legitimacy of the national aspirations of the Jewish people and the Israeli state will formally recognize the legitimacy of the national aspirations of the Palestinian Arab people. The Palestinian and Israeli governments will undertake all necessary educational and cultural steps to ensure that such legitimacy is accepted by the citizenry of both states.

3. The land boundaries will be based on current residency, contiguity, dual citizenship, reciprocity and self-determination. Areas of the territory on the Jordanian side of the 1949 Armistice lines containing a majority of Jewish residents and contiguous with the 1949 Armistice lines will be demarcated and the populations within those territories will, by democratic vote, decide whether to be annexed to the State of Israel or annexed to the State of Palestine. Jewish residents outside of those areas will be offered the option of dual citizenship in the Palestinian and Israeli states. They will also be offered the option of moving to areas of Israeli sovereignty, the costs of such moves to be borne by the Israeli government.

4. Areas of similar size on the Israeli side of and contiguous with the 1949 Armistice lines containing majorities of Arab residents will also be demarcated. The populations of those areas will decide, by democratic vote, whether to be annexed to the State of Palestine or annexed to the State of Israel. Arab residents outside of those areas will be offered dual citizenship in the State of Israel and the State of Palestine. They will also be offered the option of moving to areas of Palestinian sovereignty, the costs of such moves to be borne by the Palestinian government.

5. When the democratic decisions of the relevant populations have been made an international border recognized by both states will be demarcated, taking into account the democratic plebiscites in the areas designated in paragraphs 3 and 4.

6. The city of Jerusalem will be placed under the sovereignty of the State of Israel. Arab residents of Jerusalem will be offered dual citizenship in the State of Israel and the State of Palestine.

7. Areas of Jerusalem designated as Muslim holy sites will be governed under an extra-territorial regime, modeled after that of the Vatican State in Rome. The Organization of the Islamic Conference, upon agreement, will administer this extraterritorial area. Along with administrative personnel there will also be an Islamic Guard Force which will be responsible, in cooperation with the Israeli civilian police and judicial authorities, for the security of the area. The Islamic Guard will consist of 313 personnel commanded by an officer selected by the State of Palestine. The personnel will be provided equally by each member state of the Organization of the Islamic Conference which has diplomatic relations with the State of Israel and establishes an embassy to the State of Israel in the City of Jerusalem. The States of Egypt and Jordan will not be required to establish an embassy in Jerusalem in order to participate in the Islamic Guard Force.

8. The State of Israel and the State of Palestine will sign a mutual defense treaty. Under that treaty any foreign military force which enters the State of Palestine for any reason will be considered as an act of aggression against the State of Palestine and the State of Israel. The State of Palestine will create and maintain a civilian police force of a size that its government shall determine as necessary for domestic security. The State of Palestinian will establish an armed force of a size to be determined by its government. This armed force will not possess any offensive military weapons. The designation of what constitutes offensive weapons is to be determined in negotiations between the Palestinian Authority and the State of Israel and will be an integral part of the peace agreement. Negotiations between the State of Palestine and the State or Israel aimed at revising such designations may be requested at five year intervals or when seen necessary by either party. Such revisions as may be made will require the agreement of both parties.

9. Immigration into the State of Palestine will be subject to the laws of that state. Immigration into the State of Israel will be subject to the laws of that state.

10. All economic, trade and other agreements will be concluded by the Israeli and Palestinian sovereign governments once the peace agreement has been signed and ratified by the relevant authorities.

11. Upon ratification of the peace agreement by both parties, the State of Israel will recommend full membership for the State of Palestine in the United Nations Organization to the United Nations Security Council.

The eleven principles suggested above are offered as a possible guide to implement what has become known as a two-state solution to the Israel-Palestine conflict. They are not meant to result in a peace agreement to die for but in a peace agreement with which everyone can live.

Efraim Perlmutter

Moshav Sde Nitzan

Israel

October 7, 2011

Habesor
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2015 - 11:58PM #2
Shusha

Habesor,

I remember that post and I thought it was both brilliantly detailed and an effective solution to the conflict.  

I can not thank you enough for your participation on the politcal boards.  You are one of the most learned and intelligent posters we have and I have learned so much from not only your informative posts, but your demeanor as well.

I shall miss you.  

Shusha

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 5:17AM #3
Ibn

Dear Habesor,

I am neither a Palestinian nor an Israeli but it is clear to me that there is absolutely no chance of Palestinians agreeing to No. 6 proposal. Jerusalem has to be the Palestine capital even if it is a shared capital with Israel.

I agree with Shusha that you have worked hard in putting together some kind of peace proposal. Unfortunately the sides are not going to agree on Jerusalem, particularly on the Temple/Masjid Mount. Palestinians will never give up the Mount or to be outside their State. The only way to keep it for the purpose of praying on it is if it is in Palestine. It is also the best way to open up access for Jewish people to go and pray on the Mount openly. Palestinians will never agree to a situation which will be repeat of the destructions on the Mount. Muslim Palestinians are protecting it. Jewish people have failed twice in the past to protect it. Palestinians cannot allow history to repeat.

I honestly believe that the Jewish people can benefit more if East Jerusalem and the Mount remains in Palestine than be in Israel. It will open up so many possibilities towards peace between the two sides. In the long run, Israel needs her neighbours to be in agreement with her and her in agreement with them. Conflict is not in the best long term interests of any side. 

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
(Winston Churchill)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 6:57AM #4
JRoadrunner

Oct 30, 2015 -- 5:17AM, Ibn wrote:

Dear Habesor,

I am neither a Palestinian nor an Israeli but it is clear to me that there is absolutely no chance of Palestinians agreeing to No. 6 proposal. Jerusalem has to be the Palestine capital even if it is a shared capital with Israel.

I believe Ibn has hit the nail on the head here... and why there can be no real peace (all the good will, misguided or otherwise, notwithstanding).

It also happens to be prophesized in the prophets of Tanach long ago that in the End of Days the final battle (spiritual and physical) either before or during the coming of the Messaih will center around Jerusalem. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 8:43AM #5
rocketjsquirell

Habesor

It was a good plan when you first posted it. It remains a good plan now. I had more hope that the Arab Palestinains might agree to that plan or a similar one back then.  Maybe I am jaded or maybe I have spent too long here on Beliefnet reading the posts of the anti-Israel folks.  

Perhaps, one day there will be peace in Israel. May it be real soon and in our lifetime.

Thanks

Jonathan aka RJS

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2015 - 3:25PM #6
BDboy

Habesor,

Thanks for taking time and share your sincere ideas with members of B-net. I always enjoyed talking to you.

Your ideas for long term peace is worth considering. I imagine the Palestinians will like to alter some of it. But this is how negotiations works anyway.

Anything is better than constant violence.

Salaam/shalom/peace!

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook