Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View For Fun Before the End: The Myer-Briggs Personality Test
2 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2015 - 4:40PM #1
rabello

I think many, if not most, if not all, of our contentious discussions, here, have been examples of the Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicators.

What are your 4 indicators that define your personality type?

MTBI Basics

The purpose of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®) personality inventory is to make the theory of psychological types described by C. G. Jung understandable and useful in people's lives. The essence of the theory is that much seemingly random variation in the behavior is actually quite orderly and consistent, being due to basic differences in the ways individuals prefer to use their perception and judgment.

"Perception involves all the ways of becoming aware of things, people, happenings, or ideas. Judgment involves all the ways of coming to conclusions about what has been perceived. If people differ systematically in what they perceive and in how they reach conclusions, then it is only reasonable for them to differ correspondingly in their interests, reactions, values, motivations, and skills."

In developing the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator [instrument], the aim of Isabel Briggs Myers, and her mother, Katharine Briggs, was to make the insights of type theory accessible to individuals and groups. They addressed the two related goals in the developments and application of the MBTI instrument:

The 16 personality types of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® instrument are listed here as they are often shown in what is called a "type table."

The test and the table are on the link.

Not saying that the M-B Indicator is right, but it does help us remember that people disagree with each other, often strenuously, because people are different in ways that are independent of "liberal" and "conservative"

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
There is no such thing as "illegals"
LGBT Lives Matter
Poor Women's Lives Matter

"If we jump too quickly to the universal formulation, 'all lives matter,' then we miss the fact that black people have not yet been included in the idea of 'all lives.'"

--Professor Judith Butler
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2015 - 4:59PM #2
solfeggio

Looks interesting, Rabello.  Thank you for posting.

What struck me when I was looking at the test was how useful it would have been for all of us to help better understand where we're all coming from here.

Some of the posts that have been coming in this last week have really given us insights into the personalities of the people who regularly post here.  Maybe we are finally beginning to realise that we're all shades of gray when it comes to personalities.

We've always been so quick to judge.  But, when you consider that all we know of people here is based on a few sentences on a relatively limited range of topics, I suppose that would be natural.

Ah, well.

I'm sincerely sorry to see it end.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2015 - 5:10PM #3
rabello

Oct 29, 2015 -- 4:59PM, solfeggio wrote:

Looks interesting, Rabello.  Thank you for posting.

What struck me when I was looking at the test was how useful it would have been for all of us to help better understand where we're all coming from here.

Some of the posts that have been coming in this last week have really given us insights into the personalities of the people who regularly post here.  Maybe we are finally beginning to realise that we're all shades of gray when it comes to personalities.

We've always been so quick to judge.  But, when you consider that all we know of people here is based on a few sentences on a relatively limited range of topics, I suppose that would be natural.

Ah, well.

I agree it's going to take some getting used to, not being able to run here to see what everybody else thinks about the ever-present outrages and pleasantries we see in the news

A lot of misunderstandings between posters, I think, are due to not understanding other people's perceptions, just like it happens in the real world.   Rather than the old nasty claim of "partisanship" to describe every disagreement

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
LGBT Lives Matter

"If we jump too quickly to the universal formulation, 'all lives matter,' then we miss the fact that black people have not yet been included in the idea of 'all lives.'"

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2015 - 7:13PM #4
Stardove

I've done the test before, but it has been a while.  Who knows I may have changed.  Wink

I listed some site links which may be of interest at the end of site thread in two posts.

The Facebook links are also at that thread.  I've only joined the News for now.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove

People change for two main reasons: either their minds have been opened or their hearts have been broken.
---Anonymous

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 5:04PM #5
Do_unto_others

I took the MBTI at work about 10 years ago and found it supremely UN-helpful. It SHOULD have "help[ed employees] better understand where [the other employees were] all coming from". It SHOULD have helped employees be more empathetic to the people they served, including their co-workers. Most just made a game of it as if an NTSJ is 'better' than an INTF, etc. It quickly became an 'alphabet soup. One employee in particular simply continued to treat all of her customers AND her co-workers like crap.

IOW, any "insights" gained were not particularly applicable in practice.

Sorry, not a big fan of it. Seemed a corporate scheme to me.

But isn't that just common sense?

Me too.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 5:10PM #6
rabello

I would say most people don't understand what the results mean when they make a game of it.

I only brought it up to try to explain why the differences in opinion are so very stark.  For me, it seems that those who score high on the judgemental (haha) personality trait tend to be the most condemning of everyone else.  I don't think it's because of their partisan attitudes but because of how they perceive the world.

At any rate, it's been done on this board before, and nobody seems interested in repeating it.  Now that BNet is closing down, my biggest take-away is just how unfairly judgemental (haha) so many Americans are towards people they don't even know! 

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
LGBT Lives Matter

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook