Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Prize-Winning Show Horse Killed and Carved Up for Meat in Florida
2 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2015 - 4:39AM #1
rabello

Prize-Winning Show Horse Killed and Carved Up for Meat in Florida

Phedras de Blondel was an experienced, prize-winning show horse when equestrian Debbie Stephens brought him to the United States. Stephens had been planning to ride the 12-year-old chestnut gelding for the first time at a Grand Prix competition next month. But then, last weekend, barely a day after he had arrived on Stephens’ farm in Palmetto, Florida, Phedras was led out of his stall and brutally butchered

Stephens’ assistant found the carcass of the prized horse in a remote field near the farm on Sunday morning. The body was missing the legs and most of the torso; only the head, neck, and rib cage remained. The horse was “carved up so professionally,” the Timeswrote, “that the authorities are investigating it as a case of animal cruelty carried out by an expert butcher for meat.”

“It's one of the cruelest things that could happen to any horse,” Stephens told the Associated Press.

A necropsy revealed that Phedras had been stabbed in the heart, and the carving was clearly “professional” and “deliberate,” Stephens told the Times. The horse’s death comes after a wave of similar killings of livestock for meat in the state, including several cows that were stolen and slaughtered in Central Florida. Less recently, at least 17 horses were killed in Miami-Dade County in 2009, according to the Washington Post.

On the black market, the Post reports, the meat can cost anywhere from $10 to $20 a pound. According to reporting in the wake of the killing, Phedras weighed between 1,300 and 1,500 pounds.

every year more than 100,000 American horses are shipped to Canada and Mexico to be slaughtered for sale in foreign markets, according to the Guardian and the Humane Society of the United States.

I heard about this horrible crime while flipping through channels.  I am almost sorry I found it

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
There is no such thing as "illegals"
LGBT Lives Matter
Poor Women's Lives Matter

"If we jump too quickly to the universal formulation, 'all lives matter,' then we miss the fact that black people have not yet been included in the idea of 'all lives.'"

--Professor Judith Butler
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2015 - 4:47AM #2
rabello

More:

The gruesome killing of a show horse and Florida’s horse meat black market

Still, the demand for the banned commodity has spawned a black market in the diverse state, according to animal rights activists.

In 2009, at least 17 butchered horses were found in Miami-Dade County, where officials reported a dramatic increase in the horse meat market. Activists at the time said the meat can cost anywhere from $10 to $20 a pound.

Earlier this month, authorities in Palm Beach County raided three slaughterhouses and arrested six people in connection with the illegal slaughter and sale of horses. And in July, a three-year-old competitive show horse named Smart Amanda Whiz was found slaughtered for its meat.

“It’s actually more common than you think,” said South Florida SPCA spokeswoman Laurie Waggoner, who noted that Phedras de Blondel’s killing was unique because it was so brazen. “There’s a lot of horses that we never know about. [Authorities] find a couple of carcasses every month.”

Often these horses are slaughtered on the spot, and with the average horse weighing about 1,200 pounds, the haul can be enormous.

As for Phedras de Blondel’s death, “this is not an easy case to solve,” Bristow said. There are no witnesses to the crime, which could have taken place anytime overnight Saturday into Sunday morning. Officials have no suspects and would consider burglary, grand theft and animal cruelty felony charges.

Steve Stephens told the Herald that the horse may have been targeted because of its size.

“These people came to butcher this horse out,” Stephens told the paper. “They didn’t just come with those sharp knives for nothing. They had all intentions of doing what they did. They knew what they were going to do.”

Intolerable

Moderated by Merope on Oct 28, 2015 - 08:02PM
Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
LGBT Lives Matter

"If we jump too quickly to the universal formulation, 'all lives matter,' then we miss the fact that black people have not yet been included in the idea of 'all lives.'"

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2015 - 6:35PM #3
Erey

obviously this was a very valuable horse and worth alot of money.

But a horse getting slaughtered is is not worse or more sinful than a cow getting slaughtered.  They are both large hooved  herd animals.  Horses are not eaten in the US very much but in other parts of the world horses and cows are slaughtered and eaten.

It remains to be criminal to destroy someone's property,  just as it is criminal to steal someone's cattle. 

I might look at a rival horse team.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 12:52PM #4
rabello

I'll put you down as one who isn't interested in donating the the American Humane Society

Thanks for playing

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
LGBT Lives Matter

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 3:08PM #5
christine3

Most humans don't give a twit about what they eat, unfortunately. Dogs, cats, horses, and all the rest. Vegetarian here. I work at a Horse Ranch which gives special needs children a thrill. I take therapy dogs to a nearby hospital also. 

I stand by the horse with one hand on the saddle blanket as the horse goes around the course, just in case a kid leans too far while doing the activities and starts to slip off. Another human is on the other side. Most kids have muscular dystrophy. They ride around doing various exercises that require coordination, strength and memory. This month, one fun thing to do is throw the bean bag into the cut out eyes or mouth of a large standing board with a pumpkin painted on it. There are about 10 different things they do while riding the horse. All horses are decorated with costumes and so are we. 

We'll do the same at Thanksgiving and Christmas with different decorations. The children get prizes and presents and desert. You never saw such happy kids. The horses get treats at the end of their 3-hour therapy-giving day...apples, pears, carrots. 

All this is a far cry from the slaughter house and I'm a privileged character to be there adding another smile, a pet, and a "Good job!"

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 3:33PM #6
christine3

Oct 28, 2015 -- 6:35PM, Erey wrote:

That poses a problem for the rest of us, that everything on this planet is graded as to money worth.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 4:10PM #7
Erey

Oct 30, 2015 -- 3:33PM, christine3 wrote:

That poses a problem for the rest of us, that everything on this planet is graded as to money worth.

That is one way of doing things. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 4:32PM #8
rabello

Oct 30, 2015 -- 3:08PM, christine3 wrote:

Most humans don't give a twit about what they eat, unfortunately. Dogs, cats, horses, and all the rest. Vegetarian here. I work at a Horse Ranch which gives special needs children a thrill. I take therapy dogs to a nearby hospital also. 

I stand by the horse with one hand on the saddle blanket as the horse goes around the course, just in case a kid leans too far while doing the activities and starts to slip off. Another human is on the other side. Most kids have muscular dystrophy. They ride around doing various exercises that require coordination, strength and memory. This month, one fun thing to do is throw the bean bag into the cut out eyes or mouth of a large standing board with a pumpkin painted on it. There are about 10 different things they do while riding the horse. All horses are decorated with costumes and so are we. 

We'll do the same at Thanksgiving and Christmas with different decorations. The children get prizes and presents and desert. You never saw such happy kids. The horses get treats at the end of their 3-hour therapy-giving day...apples, pears, carrots. 

All this is a far cry from the slaughter house and I'm a privileged character to be there adding another smile, a pet, and a "Good job!"

Oct 30, 2015 -- 3:33PM, christine3 wrote:

Christine!  So good to see you here!! Thank you for the work you do on behalf of the humane treatment of animals!!

Spot-ON, both posts!!

Take care

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
LGBT Lives Matter

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 10:06PM #9
christine3

Oct 30, 2015 -- 4:32PM, rabello wrote:

Christine!  So good to see you here!! Thank you for the work you do on behalf of the humane treatment of animals!!

Spot-ON, both posts!!

Take care

And the same to you dear friend. I left a message in your inbox and hope you get it before this little window shuts down. 

Good wishes to all who have posted on these boards. --Christine

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook