Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 13  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next
Switch to Forum Live View SC Student 'Brutalized' by School Resource Officer, Lawyer Says
1 year ago  ::  Oct 28, 2015 - 12:08AM #1
rabello

SC Student 'Brutalized' by School Resource Officer, Lawyer Says

The lawyer for the South Carolina student violently dragged out of her classroom by a school resource officer says the deputy "brutalized" his client, and criticized law enforcement for still not saying the officer's actions were wrong.

"She is hurt and literally, this is someone who is physically in pain because of what she endured, as she literally flew across the classroom," attorney Todd Rutherford said.

He said the girl's arm is in a cast, she has a rug burn on her forehead and has pain in her neck and back. She was hospitalized Monday night and saw a doctor today, he said.

The officer has been suspended without pay, and a decision on whether Fields will keep his job will be made based on the results of the sheriff's office's internal investigation, which is expected to be completed within 24 hours, Lott said. He stressed that the focus of the sheriff's office's investigation will only be how the officer responded to student.

"They simply stood behind their officer. They are going to wait 48 to 72 hours to determine whether he did anything wrong, when the rest of the world can determine instantly that something is wrong, that you should never treat a child that like, that a classroom is not a wrestling mat," he said.

The worst part is that a second female student, also black, was ARRESTED for trying to stand up for the victim and to get the other two adults in the room -- the teacher and the school's administrator to stop the violence.

Spring Valley School Police Video Update: Second South Carolina Student Arrested After Standing Up For Black Classmate

[Niya]Kenny told WLTX she filmed part of the incident on her phone. The six-second video shows Fields approaching the student sitting at a desk in a classroom. The officer then grabs her arm while putting his own arm around the girl’s neck.

"I was crying, screaming and crying like a baby," she told the news station early Tuesday. "I was in disbelief."

She said, in an interview on one of the MSNBC programs tonight, that the officer -- Ben Fields -- is known in the school as "Officer Slam" because he "slams" students

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
There is no such thing as "illegals"
LGBT Lives Matter
Poor Women's Lives Matter

"If we jump too quickly to the universal formulation, 'all lives matter,' then we miss the fact that black people have not yet been included in the idea of 'all lives.'"

--Professor Judith Butler
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 28, 2015 - 8:12AM #2
jlb32168

According to NBC News, another video has surfaced that shows the student "flailing at the officer as he is already in the middle of flipping her chair over."  It seems to me that it needs to be determined who initiated the altercation.  The superintendant says that he doesn't think race is an issue here because the officer in question has been seeing an African-American on a personal/social basis for "quite some time."

Victim of this, victim of that, your mama’s too thin and your daddy’s too fat, get over it! - the Eagles
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 28, 2015 - 10:28AM #3
Ironhold

National Review is saying that the officer was called into the classroom to remove the student in question. 

The officer only laid hands on the student when the student refused to leave on their own accord, at which point the student started flailing at the officer. It was when the punches started that the officer got rough. 

At the least, it's a case of "neither party is innocent here". 

Personally, I'd like to know just what the student did to where the teacher wanted them gone. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 28, 2015 - 10:31AM #4
TENAC
Its called do as you're told
Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 28, 2015 - 10:41AM #5
F1fan

Oct 28, 2015 -- 8:12AM, jlb32168 wrote:

According to NBC News, another video has surfaced that shows the student "flailing at the officer as he is already in the middle of flipping her chair over."  It seems to me that it needs to be determined who initiated the altercation.  

Since the student's arm came up AFTER the officer was flipping her on her back I suggest it is irrelevant.  It's obvious from all three videos the officer initiated the violence.  It's hard to determine if the girl's arms were offensive or defensive.  That doesn't matter since the officer shouldn't have acted so violently.  

I'd be curious if these resource officers have training about how to deal with children.  Neither girl had criminal behavior.  

The superintendant says that he doesn't think race is an issue here because the officer in question has been seeing an African-American on a personal/social basis for "quite some time."

Some officers don't deal well with being disresepcted, and many teenagers do rebel against authority, the police being the epitome of authority.  So these officers need to be well trained and tolerant.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 28, 2015 - 10:46AM #6
F1fan

I will add that when I was a kid in elementary and middle school we got paddled if we acted up.  Being suspended was rare.  We did have a fear of being paddled, not because it hurt, but because it was embarrassing.  I wonder about the discipline of kids today.  I'm not sure if paddling is OK or not, but I know it kept a lot of us in line.  

Today there seems more PC intolerance for punishment of kids.  I think there needs to be some sort of agreement among parents and schools about how to discipline kids.  If they don't learn discipline now they aren't going to have it later in life.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 28, 2015 - 10:46AM #7
amcolph

Oct 28, 2015 -- 10:31AM, TENAC wrote:

Its called do as you're told

No, it's called call the cops because the adminstrators are too cowardly and indifferent to back the teachers up on discipline.

This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 28, 2015 - 10:51AM #8
F1fan

Oct 28, 2015 -- 10:28AM, Ironhold wrote:

National Review is saying that the officer was called into the classroom to remove the student in question. 

The officer only laid hands on the student when the student refused to leave on their own accord, at which point the student started flailing at the officer. It was when the punches started that the officer got rough.

The degree of roughness was too extreme.  A big guy like that, with training, can't control a teenage girl without that sort of violence?  

At the least, it's a case of "neither party is innocent here".

I'll agree that some kids do not have very good discipline nor respect for school and authority.  But then much of that is due to what we see in sociaety every day, from Congress to our schools.  Why expect teenagers to behave civilly when Congress members can't?

Personally, I'd like to know just what the student did to where the teacher wanted them gone. 

Witnesses say she was on her phone and wouldn't put it away.  That was it.  The teacher called an administrator, and then the administrator called the officer.

Then the other girl stood up and said to leave her alone after the officer flipped her and threw her towards the door. The other girl was arrested too.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 28, 2015 - 10:52AM #9
amcolph

Oct 28, 2015 -- 10:46AM, F1fan wrote:

I will add that when I was a kid in elementary and middle school we got paddled if we acted up.  Being suspended was rare.  We did have a fear of being paddled, not because it hurt, but because it was embarrassing.  I wonder about the discipline of kids today.  I'm not sure if paddling is OK or not, but I know it kept a lot of us in line.  

Today there seems more PC intolerance for punishment of kids.  I think there needs to be some sort of agreement among parents and schools about how to discipline kids.  If they don't learn discipline now they aren't going to have it later in life.  

My classroom teaching experience tells me that discipline can be maintained without corporal punishment.

But the adminsitrators have to take some responsibility for it.

This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 28, 2015 - 10:53AM #10
Jasr

It seems to me that it needs to be determined who initiated the altercation.

It would certainly be good to determine this, but it does not excuse the officer's action. She was much smaller and weaker, was sitting when he was standing and she had no weapon. By flipping the chair backwards he could have caused a serious injury to the student's head or spine. It bordered on lethal force.

The superintendant says that he doesn't think race is an issue here because the officer in question has been seeing an African-American on a personal/social basis for "quite some time."

Well that's a relief.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 13  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook