Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Hundreds of Unreported Police Homicides
2 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2015 - 2:38PM #1
Aka_me

www.examiner.com/article/cops-killing-am...

I've been saying we need an annual report of police statistics for years now

that police can get away without reporting their murders to the FBI is kinda surprising

I dream in my lifetime uhmericans will come to realize hezbollah, hamas, and isis gain followers by helping society AND the only way to defeat them is to perform greater good.

the average person is 8 times more likely to be murdered by a cop than a radical terrorist
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2015 - 11:41PM #2
rabello

Only kind of surprising.   Before citizens could record cop's behavior, they had pretty much a free ride.  They still do, but now at least the rest of us know a lot of them are just bullies with guns and billy clubs who seem to actually like to fight and beat people up.  Makes you wonder how these guys are screened before they are ever hired.

Maybe things will change.  They won't in my lifetime.  It is still dangerous to be black in America.

I just heard a story about how 6 male cops killed a handcuffed woman by beating her up and tazing her 6 times, even tho she was handcuffed.   It's is unacceptable.  A lot of it is just a hold-over from our racist past when it was OK to treat a slave as though he/she was so non-human that he/she could not feel pain.

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
There is no such thing as "illegals"
LGBT Lives Matter
Poor Women's Lives Matter

"If we jump too quickly to the universal formulation, 'all lives matter,' then we miss the fact that black people have not yet been included in the idea of 'all lives.'"

--Professor Judith Butler
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2015 - 1:09PM #3
Erey

AT least part of the blame falls to the Police Unions who have institutionalized situations that make it easier for police officers to opperate above the law. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2015 - 1:19PM #4
rabello

Oct 28, 2015 -- 1:09PM, Erey wrote:

AT least part of the blame falls to the Police Unions who have institutionalized situations that make it easier for police officers to opperate above the law. 

Yeah, blame the union instead of the "thin blue line" and the people on juries who automatically take the cops' side no matter what.

The union tells cops to kill people?

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
LGBT Lives Matter

"If we jump too quickly to the universal formulation, 'all lives matter,' then we miss the fact that black people have not yet been included in the idea of 'all lives.'"

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2015 - 1:39PM #5
REteach

Well, we could pony up tax money for better education, screening, higher quality.  Of course, that would require us to do more than complain.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2015 - 1:47PM #6
rabello

I don't see recognizing a cover-up that benefits killer-cops as "complaining."

I doubt it is just money that stops police departments from hiring violent men as cops

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
LGBT Lives Matter

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2015 - 2:20PM #7
Erey

Oct 28, 2015 -- 1:19PM, rabello wrote:

Yeah, blame the union instead of the "thin blue line" and the people on juries who automatically take the cops' side no matter what.

The "thin blue line"  exists because unions have created laws that allow it to exist.   The union has negotiated situations where it is very difficult to prosecute cops and very difficult to find them guilty.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2015 - 3:08PM #8
rabello

Oct 28, 2015 -- 2:20PM, Erey wrote:

The "thin blue line"  exists because unions have created laws that allow it to exist.   The union has negotiated situations where it is very difficult to prosecute cops and very difficult to find them guilty.

Well, you'll have to explain how a union created the "thin blue line"

It is not difficult to prosecute cops who kill, it is fellow cops who lie and cover up for them, and it is juries that give them a pass. 

I don't think unions have anything to do with it.

Unions protect employees from unlawful terminations and unfair disciplinary actions by bosses, not to condone and protect criminal behavior

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
LGBT Lives Matter

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2015 - 3:29PM #9
Stardove

This story has been on the ABQ news a lot this summer.

Albuquerque to pay $5m to family of homeless man killed by police

James Boyd was fatally shot last year by officers who face murder charges
    Settlement follows lawsuit filed in June 2014

The city of Albuquerque has agreed to pay $5m to the family of a homeless man who was fatally shot by police officers last year, in a case that has helped fuel major reforms within the police force.

The settlement was announced on Friday by an attorney representing the family of James Boyd, who was killed during a March 2014 standoff in the foothills of the Sandia Mountains where he had been illegally camping.

At one point during the hours-long incident, Boyd pulled out two knives and threatened to kill officers. Video from an officer’s helmet camera showed police fired on Boyd, who authorities say was schizophrenic, as he appeared to be preparing to surrender.

The incident sparked angry demonstrations around Albuquerque, with protesters calling for reform after numerous police shootings. Boyd’s family filed a lawsuit in June 2014.

A special prosecutor announced that two police officers would be charged with second-degree murder in the case. The two officers have denied any wrongdoing, but each could face up to 15 years in prison if convicted.

Even before Boyd’s death, the US Justice Department had been investigating the Albuquerque police department over allegations of excessive force. Federal officials harshly criticized the department but reached an agreement with the city to improve training and dismantle troubled units.

More at the link. The settlement comes before the murder trial.

One channel out of ABQ uses the term boom-a-rang thugs a lot.  The station does reports on these repeat offenders.  Of course I thought about how many times I've seen thugs on USNP.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove

People change for two main reasons: either their minds have been opened or their hearts have been broken.
---Anonymous

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2015 - 5:43PM #10
Erey

Oct 28, 2015 -- 3:08PM, rabello wrote:

Oct 28, 2015 -- 2:20PM, Erey wrote:

Well, you'll have to explain how a union created the "thin blue line"

It is not difficult to prosecute cops who kill, it is fellow cops who lie and cover up for them, and it is juries that give them a pass. 

I don't think unions have anything to do with it.

Unions protect employees from unlawful terminations and unfair disciplinary actions by bosses, not to condone and protect criminal behavior

Gee that commment is so cute,  so darn adorable!  I had to laugh

BOOM!  from the ATlantic no less  how police unions are fucking over the rest of us

www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/201...

Look,  I don't begrude anyone the "right to assembly".  Some will say that public employees should not have that right,  I disagree.     What is a union if not a special interest group with a very narrow focus?   Unions  like PETA or the Sierra Club, LULAC, or the NRA all are just special interest groups and I don't ever recall encountering a special interest group that is wholistic -  focused on the whole of society and how thier special community fits within it.   Nope  special interest groups are by definitions grabbing what they can,  when they can as much as they can and let the other chips fall where they may. 

This is true of police unions,  teacher unions,   auto worker unions, etc.    And I say,   let them.  They have the right to set the agenda they want to set and go for what they want.

I am not anti-union,  if you want to join a union please do so.   I just don't think the rest of society should default be forced to sit back and put up with the abuses.   In some cases a union is even beneficial.   Some unions and other special interest groups have done positive things.   I do believe in the power of assembly  Just I know that power can be a force of good or a force of evil.  

The problem often happens with unions when a union gets too much political power.   Once a union has too much political power they can get implemented laws and policies that are good for them but bad for the rest of society.  In the case of police unions they have it appears way too much political power. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook