Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Marco Rubio - Hillary Clinton's Worst Nightmare?
1 year ago  ::  Oct 27, 2015 - 8:37AM #1
Girlchristian

Hillary Clinton has strengthened her position as the Democrat to beat in her quest to become the country's first woman president. But the biggest obstacle in her path to victory could be a young senator who few outside Florida know much about.

If Republican strategists were to assemble their ideal presidential candidate in a factory, a product resembling Marco Rubio would come rolling off the conveyor belts in a perfect package.

Young. Tick.

Clear communicator. Tick.

Good on television. Tick.

American Dream life story. Tick.

Strong Hispanic appeal. Tick.

Keeps gaffes to a minimum. Tick.

While other Republicans have gained far more attention, the 44-year-old Cuban-American has been quietly impressive.

Too quiet to trouble the leaders, one could joke. In the Republican race, he lies a distant third in an average of national polling by RealClear Politics, a long way behind Donald Trump and brain surgeon Ben Carson.

But for some who have closely followed US elections for years, he is the "real" frontrunner.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34546317

They don't want to nominate another "old, white guy" if they want a chance, he says, and Rubio's background would put him ahead of the well-financed but struggling ex-Florida governor, Jeb Bush.

A lot of candidates like to cast their life story as a rags-to-riches American fable, but Rubio has a strong and compelling case to make.

Born in Miami to Cuban immigrants, he lived in Las Vegas for a while as a child, where his father was a barman and his mother a housekeeper. After high school in Miami, his degrees in political science and then in law amassed a $100,000 student debt that he only paid off in recent years.

He scaled the political ladder in Florida at speed, culminating in a Senate seat in 2010 after a race he was never expected to win.

"When I entered that race, the only people who thought I could win all lived in my home. Four of them were under the age of 10," he has said.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 27, 2015 - 8:44AM #2
rabello

More like Jeb Bush's worst nightmare!

Marco's not really that good on tv and he has missed almost half of the Senate votes he was responsible for casting, saying they didn't matter anyway, and doesn't attend Senate Intelligence committee meetings, leaving it to a staff member to do the word and then report back to him, sort of like a butler would do.

He's already got a lot of baggage but could certainly give a fellow Floridian -- like Jeb! -- a run for his money in Florida.

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
There is no such thing as "illegals"
LGBT Lives Matter
Poor Women's Lives Matter

"If we jump too quickly to the universal formulation, 'all lives matter,' then we miss the fact that black people have not yet been included in the idea of 'all lives.'"

--Professor Judith Butler
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 27, 2015 - 9:26AM #3
Druac

I could probably live with that. Of all the choices on the Republican ticket, I think I could probably live with that.

8 reasons why Marco Rubio is right: The Senate stinks

www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2...

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 27, 2015 - 10:38AM #4
Girlchristian

Oct 27, 2015 -- 9:26AM, Druac wrote:

I could probably live with that. Of all the choices on the Republican ticket, I think I could probably live with that.

Agreed. He's not my first pick, but I could be okay with him.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 27, 2015 - 11:07AM #5
vra

Oct 27, 2015 -- 10:38AM, Girlchristian wrote:

Who's #1 with you?  Don't worry, I won't harrass you-- much.  Laughing

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 27, 2015 - 11:14AM #6
Girlchristian

Oct 27, 2015 -- 11:07AM, vra wrote:

Who's #1 with you?  Don't worry, I won't harrass you-- much.  

Ha ha, no worries. Pataki would be my first choice, but he's too moderate for the right-wing and the religous right.

I could reluctantly vote for Rubio, but if he were up against Sanders, I could vote for Sanders just because I think he'd be different.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 27, 2015 - 11:23AM #7
mountain_man

Oct 27, 2015 -- 8:37AM, Girlchristian wrote:

Hillary Clinton has strengthened her position as the Democrat to beat in her quest to become the country's first woman president. But the biggest obstacle in her path to victory could be a young senator who few outside Florida know much about.

If Republican strategists were to assemble their ideal presidential candidate in a factory, a product resembling Marco Rubio would come rolling off the conveyor belts in a perfect package......

Except that he's psychotic. That has already come out and he's no longer a threat.... never was anyway.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 27, 2015 - 11:30AM #8
F1fan

I don't know much about him.  I saw his response to the State of the Union a few years ago.  He has a bit of a problem with confidence and poise.  He has missed a lot of votes, as already pointed out.  If you don't like government then get out of it.  Go get a job where if you don't do it you get fired.

One thing I noticed is his voice is somewhat high.  In psychological studies people have more respect for people with lower voices than higher pitched, so while not an issue of competency it may be a subconscious negative for those who are on the fence about him.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 27, 2015 - 11:40AM #9
vra

Oct 27, 2015 -- 11:14AM, Girlchristian wrote:

Oct 27, 2015 -- 11:07AM, vra wrote:

Who's #1 with you?  Don't worry, I won't harrass you-- much.  

Ha ha, no worries. Pataki would be my first choice, but he's too moderate for the right-wing and the religous right.

I could reluctantly vote for Rubio, but if he were up against Sanders, I could vote for Sanders just because I think he'd be different.

Good last choice. Wink

Personally, I dread the thought of having any Republican president matched with Republican control of Congress.  They can't even run their own party let alone the country.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 27, 2015 - 12:13PM #10
Jasr

His economic platform consists of the usual Republican supply side voodoo of tax cuts for the rich. He lied about his family backstory for years...claiming his parents were refugees from Fidel Castro, presumably to give himself street cred with the Miami Cuban community. And he is a disastrous money manager.

www.nytimes.com/2015/06/10/us/politics/m...

As far as I can tell he has never done anything but dabble in politics and pretend to practice law.

On the plus side he does seem to be more qualified than George W. Bush.

I am sure Hillary has plenty of nightmares but I don't think Rubio is in any of them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook