Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Farewell Thread
2 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2015 - 12:42PM #1
Girlchristian
Beliefnet will shut down in less than a week now. Some of us have been posting here a long time. Some of us have changed our stances on some things and in other things our convictions have just gotten stronger. A very few of us, myself included, have changed a lot of our stances. I started posting here as Lovtophish, a pro-choice, liberal Democrat, but I'm ending my time here as GirlChristian, a pro-life, socially liberal and fiscally conservative Independent. 

Let's use this thread to say farewell. Not to argue and not to debate, but to just appreciate the friendships that have been made and the time spent on these boards together.

And since it's the last week, I'll sign off with my real name.

~ Stephanie
(also known as lovtophish, Christiangal, Girlchristian, and USN&P co-host) 
"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2015 - 12:44PM #2
REteach

I think I have been here about 10 years. If anything, I have gotten more liberal, but a lot of that is work related too. My username comes from the fact that I was teaching religious ed at our parish.  More liberal, less religious (and oddly, I can thank Beliefnet for becoming less religious!)  My picture is related both to working a lot with patients with constipation, and being FOS at time.  :)

I'll see some of you on Facebook.

Joni

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2015 - 2:40PM #3
Cesmom

I joined Bnet back in 2008, but haven't been posting on this board for nearly that long.  I'm definitely not a USN&P veteran like many here!  

I've really enjoyed this board.  It's been enlightening, that's for sure.  One thing about defending your stance - it forces you to dig a little deeper into the issues.  I once saw myself clearly as a liberal.  I have come to realize that I disagree with way too many liberal ideas to call myself a liberal.  I also disagree with way too many conservative ideas to call myself a conservative.  Perhaps that just makes me disagreeable?  :p

Interacting with most of you has been fun, even those I may not always agree with.  Others, maybe not quite so much fun.  But I manage to take away something from each debate, so it's all good.

My free time has been very limited lately, as I've been trying to finish up my degree.  I was looking forward to having more time to spend here once my semester ended, so I'm kind of bummed that I won't get the chance.

I will see a few of you on facebook.  It's been fun and I will miss it!  Best wishes to you all!

~Tracie

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2015 - 2:47PM #4
amcolph

It's been fun, getting to snarl at those of opposing political views who we would generally be civil to if we met them in person.

This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2015 - 3:00PM #5
Aka_me

seen many people come and go since somewhere around 2000...

definitely sorry to see the forums close, and think it's a bad business decision because overall traffic is going to drop.

might have to give reddit another try, but didn't seem like anyone there actually knows anyone else.

so long and thanks for all the fish!

I dream in my lifetime uhmericans will come to realize hezbollah, hamas, and isis gain followers by helping society AND the only way to defeat them is to perform greater good.

the average person is 8 times more likely to be murdered by a cop than a radical terrorist
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2015 - 5:07PM #6
solfeggio

I've been posting here for about eight years, I think.  Maybe more, for all I know.  I came upon the site quite by accident when web-surfing years ago, and I spent years on the Animal Rights forum before there was some sort of changeover here and that forum went dead.

Then, I did the Hot Topics for quite awhile.

My screen name Solfeggio is just a musical term that has to do with singing.  I used it because I've been a musician all my life.

I came into these discussions as a far-left liberal atheist, and nothing I've ever read here has caused me to change.  If anything, reading people's opinions has made me more liberal.

Moderated by Merope on Oct 28, 2015 - 01:14PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2015 - 7:09PM #7
Druac

Peace Out!

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2015 - 7:34AM #8
Karma_yeshe_dorje

I've been posting on this site for a long time, by Internet standards. It used to be big and wild. Then there were multiple changes of ownership. And anyone with any fight in them left ages ago!

My name was given by a guru. And I've gone from Buddhist to Unitarian Universalist. Conservative Christianity gives me the horrors!

Cultural differences across the Pacific have given me mirth. Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2015 - 12:40PM #9
MMarcoe

I've learned a lot in the 12 years I've been posting here. I have opened up my opinions and positions a lot. I've also learned that "liberal" does not always mean "left-wing," and the same for "conservative" and "right-wing."

And I'm slowly learning not to take myself so seriously in debates.

Lastly, I've learned that some people who post online are bat***t crazy, do not want to be open-minded, and aren't even aware of these things about themselves.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is the original nothingness of the universe.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2015 - 2:25PM #10
F1fan

I joined in 2000 at the old site.  I've been F1fan from the start, because I'm a fan of F1 auto racing.  Met lots of cool people over the years, many friends on Facebook.  The discussions have declined after the old site closed.  The diversity declined.  

It has served as a means to understand who people are and where they stand on various social issues.  It's also allowed me to reflect on my own positions and why I take the stands I do.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook