Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View After His Car Broke Down, Florida Church Drummer Shot and Killed by Plainclothes Officer
1 year ago  ::  Oct 21, 2015 - 11:20AM #1
rabello

After his car broke down, Florida church drummer shot and killed by plainclothes officer

Their band, Future Prezidents, had finished their gig almost an hour earlier, so bass player Mathew Huntsberger was surprised to get a call from drummer Corey Jones, 31, around 1:45 a.m. on Sunday.

Jones told Huntsberger that his SUV had broken down and asked if he could help, so Huntsberger drove to find his bandmate, who was stranded north of West Palm Beach, Fla., on Interstate 95. He brought along some oil, but when that didn’t work, the two decided to look up numbers for a tow truck.

“I tried to help him the best I could, but I’m not a mechanic or anything,” Huntsberger said in an interview with The Washington Post on Monday afternoon.

Huntsberger said he called roadside assistance for his bandmate and then, about 2:30 a.m., left to head home while Jones waited for the tow truck.

About 45 minutes later, Jones was dead — shot and killed by a police officer.

“When I left him he was sitting in his car calling roadside assistance,” Huntsberger said. “I never would have thought that someone was going to come kill him.”

Few details have been released about the Oct. 18 shooting — which is one of more than 780 fatal police shootings so far in 2015, according to a Washington Post database of all deadly on-duty shootings by police officers in 2015.

In a statement issued Monday afternoon, the Palm Beach Gardens Police Department said that officer Nouman Raja was in plainclothes in an unmarked car when he stopped to investigate what he believed to be an abandoned vehicle on an Interstate 95 exit ramp.

“As the officer exited his vehicle, he was suddenly confronted by an armed subject,” the police department said in a statement. “As a result of the confrontation, the officer discharged his firearm, resulting in the death of the subject.”

“They’re saying he was armed, but I don’t know if I believe it,” said Huntsberger, who described Jones as a really mellow, church-going guy. “Of course they’re going to say that. If I was there, maybe it’s a different situation. I just don’t know what happened.”

Family members, several of whom are clergy members in the Palm Beach region, and friends have described Jones as a well-known and liked church drummer at Bible Church of God in Boynton Beach.  Jones family plans to gather tonight at a local church to share memories of him, and are making funeral plans for Saturday.

Hearst said family members are upset at how little information has been provided about the shooting. They want to know how many shots were fired, and what weapon he allegedly was carrying when he was killed. They  say Jones never carried a firearm.

I wonder how some people can want to remain in their jobs after doing something like this.

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
There is no such thing as "illegals"
LGBT Lives Matter
Poor Women's Lives Matter

"If we jump too quickly to the universal formulation, 'all lives matter,' then we miss the fact that black people have not yet been included in the idea of 'all lives.'"

--Professor Judith Butler
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 21, 2015 - 3:16PM #2
Stardove

Just in case the link was missed in the quote here it is:

789 people shot dead by police this year

The total of shooting and by state are charted at the site. Also show are sex, race, age, weapons/toys and other information.

Each death is shown and information given.

To me it seems death by law enforcement is happening way too often in USA.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove

People change for two main reasons: either their minds have been opened or their hearts have been broken.
---Anonymous

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 22, 2015 - 12:52AM #3
Merope

Jones never fired his weapon at the officer, prosecutors have reportedly told Jones’ family.  “We have confirmed that Corey never fired his gun,” said Benjamin L. Crump, a lawyer for Jones’ family, citing information he said had been provided by the state attorney.  “It really makes you wonder why the officer fired his.”

Mike Edmonson, a spokesman for the Palm Beach County state attorney, Dave Aronberg, said the office would not confirm any details of the case.

But the police say that Jones was holding his weapon as the officer approached, and that the gun was found at the scene, an account that contrasts sharply with other cases in which victims were found to have been unarmed.  The police have declined to say how many times the officer fired his weapon, whether words were exchanged, or whether Jones was pointing his weapon.

www.nytimes.com/2015/10/22/us/corey-jone...

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 22, 2015 - 12:54AM #4
Merope

Governor Rick Scott’s office says the governor has reached out to the state attorney’s office and the Palm Beach County sheriff’s office and offered assistance with their investigations.

Members of the Florida Legislature’s Black Caucus held a news conference Wednesday asking the governor to start an independent investigation.

Jones’ family is expected to meet Thursday morning with the Palm Beach County state attorney.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 22, 2015 - 1:11AM #5
Merope

Records released Wednesday by the police departments where Officer Raja worked raised other questions about the officer, who is on paid leave.  Raja — who has been on the job at Palm Beach Gardens for just 6 months — reportedly failed to disclose on his job application that he had been reprimanded at his last police job for neglecting to turn over morphine recovered from a suspect, records from his previous job show.

Internal affairs records reportedly show that in January 2013, Raja’s supervisor at the police department in Atlantis discovered that Raja was still in possession of morphine pills that he had seized 3 weeks earlier.

Raja reportedly never wrote a report or turned in the evidence, according to an Atlantis police internal affairs file.  Prosecutors were forced to drop the case against the suspect because of questions raised about the chain of custody, the records show.

Raja later filed a report stating he had been unable to place the drugs into evidence or finish the report because of “work-related issues.”  He had failed to file reports on several other cases as well, for which he received a written reprimand.

The Palm Beach Gardens police job application asks whether the applicant has ever been reprimanded.  Raja listed only minor incidents that took place at his previous job, such as one in which he violated procedures by opening a residential community’s gates before security guards arrived.

Noting that Raja is a firearms instructor who speaks 5 languages, Palm Beach Gardens is paying him 5% more than other rookies because of his “exceptional experience” as an officer in a neighboring department, his personnel record shows.

A spokeswoman for the Palm Beach Gardens police did not respond to a request for comment about the discrepancy on Raja’s application or to clarify whether he had revealed the internal affairs case during his job interview.

The Jones family lawyer said, “I think that certainly, credibility is a huge issue at this point.”

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 22, 2015 - 10:22AM #6
rabello

Wow, thanks for all the additional information, Merope. 

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
There is no such thing as "illegals"
LGBT Lives Matter
Poor Women's Lives Matter

"If we jump too quickly to the universal formulation, 'all lives matter,' then we miss the fact that black people have not yet been included in the idea of 'all lives.'"

--Professor Judith Butler
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 22, 2015 - 12:30PM #7
Merope

Oct 22, 2015 -- 10:22AM, rabello wrote:

Wow, thanks for all the additional information, Merope. 

You're welcome (-:

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 22, 2015 - 12:39PM #8
Merope

This morning, Jones' family met with Palm Beach County State Attorney Dave Aronberg.  Thereafter, the family and their attorneys held a press conference on the steps of the Palm Beach County Courthouse.

There, an attorney for the family told reporters Aronberg said Officer Raja fired 6 times at Jones.  The bullets struck him 3 times; 1 bullet broke his arm and another bullet entered his side, going through his aorta and lodging somewhere in his upper body.

Raja was not wearing a body camera, and none of the department's squad cars are fitted with dashboard cameras.  Raja has been placed on paid administrative leave.

www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/...

www.washingtonpost.com/national/the-late...

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 22, 2015 - 8:43PM #9
Merope

ABC World News Tonight is reporting that Officer Raja never displayed his badge to Jones.

It's not yet known whether Raja identified himself in some other way or at all.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 23, 2015 - 2:59PM #10
REteach

Sounds like he doesn't exactly have a good track record as a cop.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook