Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 11  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next
Switch to Forum Live View America in Decline?
2 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2015 - 11:47PM #1
solfeggio

This is an Op-Ed piece from RT:

www.rt.com/op-edge/318986-america-bomb-s...

The author, writer Sam Gerrarns, says that America is in decline and can be compared to a bomb waiting to go off.

He starts out by saying that food logistics are dangerously extended, and that the vast majority of Americans do not have the means to feed themselves should supply lines break for some reason.

Then, he goes on to point out America's present weak economic system, based 'on pro-active war.'  America is a fiat economy, whose money is legal tender that is not baced by a physical commodity.  And, as Gerrans points out: 'Fiat economies always collapse.'

He also talks about mind-altering drugs, and about the decline of morals.  He claims that American society today is 'undisciplined, unrealistic, and selfish.' 

He closes by saying that he thinks 'that all the ingredients are there for complete breakdown...given the right initiating incident.'

Fortune magazine also published an article talking about America in decline:

fortune.com/2015/07/20/united-states-dec...

That piece talks about child poverty, median adult wealth, life satisfaction, health, and education in America as measured against other countries.

They back up their claims with impressive figures to show that America is no longer the world's foremost economic powerhouse.  As well, America's diplomacy has been compromised by dysfunction and partisanship in Washington.

Is this decline an inevitable process, or was it pushed along by self-interested elites?

Did the decline start with the long wars?  Did the detention centre at Guantanamo undermine American ideals?

Edit: fixed broken links ~ now click on them!

Moderated by Stardove on Oct 20, 2015 - 05:01PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2015 - 1:06AM #2
mountain_man

Oct 19, 2015 -- 11:47PM, solfeggio wrote:

This is an Op-Ed piece.....

Which makes it a worthless opinion piece. From what I read it was just a bunch of grandiose nonsense.

Moderated by Stardove on Oct 20, 2015 - 02:33PM
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2015 - 2:50AM #3
SeraphimR

The author, writer Sam Gerrarns, says that America is in decline and can be compared to a bomb waiting to go off.

He starts out by saying that food logistics are dangerously extended, and that the vast majority of Americans do not have the means to feed themselves should supply lines break for some reason.

Then, he goes on to point out America's present weak economic system, based 'on pro-active war.'  America is a fiat economy, whose money is legal tender that is not baced by a physical commodity.  And, as Gerrans points out: 'Fiat economies always collapse.'

He also talks about mind-altering drugs, and about the decline of morals.  He claims that American society today is 'undisciplined, unrealistic, and selfish.' 

He closes by saying that he thinks 'that all the ingredients are there for complete breakdown...given the right initiating incident.'

That piece talks about child poverty, median adult wealth, life satisfaction, health, and education in America as measured against other countries.

They back up their claims with impressive figures to show that America is no longer the world's foremost economic powerhouse.  As well, America's diplomacy has been compromised by dysfunction and partisanship in Washington.

Is this kdecline an inevitable process, or was it pushed along by self-interested elites?

Did the decline start with the long wars?  Did the detention centre at Guantanamo undermine American ideals?

Decline is an inevitable process.  Civilizations get worn oout.

But the accelerants in this case wre abortion and homosexuality, both indications of hedonism and the breakdown of morals.

Europe, too, suffers from a similar malaise.

The Europeans are so decadent, they can't be bothered to reproduce themselves.  Interestingly, Russia is the only country trying to stave off economic collapse and with some indication of success.

But as Adam Smith once said, there is a lot of ruin in a nation, and the situation could be turned around.  I think the European migrant crisis might be the stimulus for Europeans to wake up from their narcissistic, atheistic, narcotized sleep and reasset themselves.  Which change would be inevitably reflected here.

“So long as there is squalor in the world, those obsessed with social justice feel obliged not only to live in it themselves but also to spread it evenly.”

http://takimag.com/article/the_ugly_truth_theodore_dalrymple
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2015 - 8:12AM #4
MMarcoe

Is this decline an inevitable process, or was it pushed along by self-interested elites?

No, the decline did not start with the long wars. It's been in the works for many decades, and you should be an honest leftist and admit that the Left has played just as much a role in it as the Right.

Anyway, America will emerge from its problems just fine.

Moderated by Stardove on Oct 20, 2015 - 02:38PM
1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is the original nothingness of the universe.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2015 - 10:02AM #5
Midutch

Oct 20, 2015 -- 2:50AM, SeraphimR wrote:

But the accelerants in this case wre abortion and homosexuality, both indications of hedonism and the breakdown of morals.

Very odd.

EVERY homosexual that I have ever known has WAAAAAAY better morals than the bigoted idiots who say things like that posted above.

In my opinion, if the United States were MORE like the LGBT community than it is like the fundagelic extremeists who wish them harm, the United States would be a much better place.

"creationism" ... 2000+ years worth of ABYSMAL FAILURE ... and proud of it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2015 - 10:05AM #6
Midutch

Oct 20, 2015 -- 8:12AM, MMarcoe wrote:

No, the decline did not start with the long wars. It's been in the works for many decades, and you should be an honest leftist and admit that the Left has played just as much a role in it as the Right.

Anyway, America will emerge from its problems just fine.

It's pretty much everyone to the left of you.

Moderated by Stardove on Oct 20, 2015 - 02:39PM
"creationism" ... 2000+ years worth of ABYSMAL FAILURE ... and proud of it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2015 - 10:14AM #7
Druac

Greed is and will be the biggest factor in our decline as a civilizaton...and the left nor the right have a corner on that market...we are all at fault. Neither wants to face reality...instead, we just keep blaming each other...as you can see from some of the posts here.

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2015 - 10:23AM #8
Aka_me

Oct 20, 2015 -- 1:06AM, mountain_man wrote:

This is an Op-Ed piece.....

Which makes it a worthless opinion piece. From what I read it was just a bunch of grandiose nonsense.

in debate... vigorous hand waving always trumps statistics and point by point refuting of the original claim Innocent

Edit: quote

Moderated by Stardove on Oct 20, 2015 - 02:35PM
I dream in my lifetime uhmericans will come to realize hezbollah, hamas, and isis gain followers by helping society AND the only way to defeat them is to perform greater good.

the average person is 8 times more likely to be murdered by a cop than a radical terrorist
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2015 - 10:25AM #9
Jasr

Oct 20, 2015 -- 2:50AM, SeraphimR wrote:

Interestingly, Russia is the only country trying to stave off economic collapse and with some indication of success.

This is one of the most puzzling statements I have ever seen on this board. I am sure there is some kind of explanation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2015 - 10:30AM #10
mecdukebec
Russia is a petro state.  How is it a model?

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 11  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook