Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Feds to Require Registration of Recreational Drones
1 year ago  ::  Oct 29, 2015 - 4:47AM #11
Merope

Oct 28, 2015 -- 12:19PM, Erey wrote:

Darn it!  Just when I was going to buy my first drone

lol

Apparently, they are a huge Christmas gift item.  Who knew?  So drone retailers (whoever they are :-) are bent out of shape about these impending regs because the regs will, reportedly, put a dent in their sales.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 29, 2015 - 9:52AM #12
Druac

Oct 29, 2015 -- 12:47AM, Aka_me wrote:

I wonder how difficult it would be to add enough electronics to drones that they could take advantage of something like Google Earth with aeronautical overlays to identify whether it is currently in a restricted category of airspace.

instead of looking at street information one can look at color coded space indicating what kind of zone one is currently in:

www.wikihow.com/Overlay-Sectional-Aerona...

and not take off if currently in a restricted zone, or "automatically return home" if attempting to fly into a restricted zone.

They already do that...with geofencing...the good ones have built in GPS...like the DJI models.

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 9:29AM #13
Aka_me

Oct 29, 2015 -- 9:52AM, Druac wrote:

They already do that...with geofencing...the good ones have built in GPS...like the DJI models.

I figr'd it would be too much power consumption, weight, memory, etc. et.c

but your right...

The new update will add more airports to its no-fly-zone database as the 709 no-fly-zones already in the Phantom’s flight controller software will expand to more than 10,000, with additional restrictions added to prevent flight across national borders.

leave it to the Chinese to inovate gooder than american drone manufacturers.

I dream in my lifetime uhmericans will come to realize hezbollah, hamas, and isis gain followers by helping society AND the only way to defeat them is to perform greater good.

the average person is 8 times more likely to be murdered by a cop than a radical terrorist
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 9:47AM #14
Druac

Oct 30, 2015 -- 9:29AM, Aka_me wrote:

Oct 29, 2015 -- 9:52AM, Druac wrote:

I figr'd it would be too much power consumption, weight, memory, etc. et.c

but your right...

The new update will add more airports to its no-fly-zone database as the 709 no-fly-zones already in the Phantom’s flight controller software will expand to more than 10,000, with additional restrictions added to prevent flight across national borders.

leave it to the Chinese to inovate gooder than american drone manufacturers.

Yes, technology has come a long way in terms of weight and power. These intelligent batteries are awesome. They have firmware you update and are smart enough to discharge themselves if you store them full, etc. They still only provide about 20 minutes of flight time, depending on the conditions and how you fly them. Of course, they carry a premium because of it.

GPS controllers have also come a long ways. These quad-copters will just stop and hover in place when you let go of the sticks...much different than model airplane or helicopter flying where you must be in control of the sticks at all times. They do this utilizing down-facing sensors and cameras as well as GPS. And if given time to set their 'Home Location', they will just come back home automatically if they lose connection to the controller or get low on battery.

And yes, in terms of complete package drone manufacturing and the technology behind it, the Chinese are kicking our asses.

[George Carlin]
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 12:19PM #15
Erey

Oct 29, 2015 -- 4:47AM, Merope wrote:

Oct 28, 2015 -- 12:19PM, Erey wrote:

Darn it!  Just when I was going to buy my first drone

lol

Apparently, they are a huge Christmas gift item.  Who knew?  So drone retailers (whoever they are :-) are bent out of shape about these impending regs because the regs will, reportedly, put a dent in their sales.

I can imagine.  I really dont' want a drone but I can see the appeal.  If I needed an additional regulation I probably would not get it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 2:09PM #16
Aka_me

Oct 30, 2015 -- 12:19PM, Erey wrote:

I can imagine.  I really dont' want a drone but I can see the appeal.  If I needed an additional regulation I probably would not get it.

friend of mine was sitting at the kirkland waterfront and a drone nearby was hopping from condo to condo looking in windows.

which has to be frustrating as hell because there's too many people around to shoot the damn thing.

EDIT

perfect solution to the drone problem:

makezine.com/2015/10/21/we-talk-to-the-m...

I dream in my lifetime uhmericans will come to realize hezbollah, hamas, and isis gain followers by helping society AND the only way to defeat them is to perform greater good.

the average person is 8 times more likely to be murdered by a cop than a radical terrorist
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Oct 31, 2015 - 10:36AM #17
Druac

A good example of a video created using the DJI Inspire 1 Drone. Best viewed full-screen in hd.

[George Carlin]
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook