Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 7 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Switch to Forum Live View Ahmed Mohamed Meets with Genocidal Leader
2 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 4:25PM #61
rabello

Oct 30, 2015 -- 2:22PM, jlb32168 wrote:

Oct 29, 2015 -- 3:57PM, rabello wrote:

I am not one who sits in judgement (haha) of others because I admit that I cannot KNOW what is in their hearts, the way you apparently think you can.

Except that you do.  You presume to say that people who criticize this father’s actions are Islamophobes rather than simply being outraged that someone would introduce their son to a genocide.

Was it morally responsible of Edward VIII to meet with Hitler?  Was it morally responsible for Dennnis Rodman to meet with N. Korean dictator Kim Jun Un?  I think it was morally reprehensible for the two to do what they did.  Do you think that it is judgmental of someone to say that about the actions of these two men? 

I doubt you’ll answer that and I am absolutely amazed that you could allow for a hypothetically unknown but possibly acceptable reason for why this young man’s  parents accepted an invitation for their child to meet with someone who has been indicted for crimes against humanity.

“The Americans arrested my son as a terrorist.  I know that millions of Americans found that to be abhorrent but that’s irrelevant.  Some of them arrested my son; therefore, I’ll accept the invitation to see a man who raped and killed hundreds of thousands of my people.  At least he’s not an Islamophobe who’ll arrest my son.” 

la de dah -- Did Ahmed's father say what you are attributing to him, quote/unquote, or did you make it up?

You may or not be aware of the original title of this thread, or of similar threads that the OPer has started to bait people like Kindredsai, or to just express his general, rightwing, xenophobic attitude towards Muslims, or you may not give a sh*t

I could not care less what you think of me

How can a parent introduce a child to "a genocide," anyway?  I suspect Ahmed has heard about Dafur, possibly when his father ran against al-Bashir for Presdent of his country.  You do realize Ahmed and his father are Sudanese, right?  A genocide is not a person. 

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
There is no such thing as "illegals"
LGBT Lives Matter
Poor Women's Lives Matter

"If we jump too quickly to the universal formulation, 'all lives matter,' then we miss the fact that black people have not yet been included in the idea of 'all lives.'"

--Professor Judith Butler
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2015 - 8:39PM #62
jlb32168

Oct 30, 2015 -- 4:25PM, rabello wrote:

How can a parent introduce a child to "a genocide," anyway?

A parricide is the crime of murdering one’s parent or father but it is also the killer him/herself.  The same goes for the word “genocide.”  It is both an act and the person who committed the act. 

Concentrate on the minors in efforts to hide the fact that you’ve not tackled the majors, namely, that you’re suggesting that there might be some inscrutable good reason for why this father met with this monster and introduced his son to him – and brand anyone who finds this parenting choice reprehensible an “Islamaphobe.”

Victim of this, victim of that, your mama’s too thin and your daddy’s too fat, get over it! - the Eagles
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2015 - 12:10AM #63
rabello

Oct 30, 2015 -- 8:39PM, jlb32168 wrote:

Oct 30, 2015 -- 4:25PM, rabello wrote:

How can a parent introduce a child to "a genocide," anyway?

A parricide is the crime of murdering one’s parent or father but it is also the killer him/herself.  The same goes for the word “genocide.”  It is both an act and the person who committed the act. 

Genocide

The crime of destroying or conspiring to destroy a national, ethnic, racial, or religious group.

Genocide can be committed in a number of ways, including killing members of a group or causing them serious mental or bodily harm, deliberately inflicting conditions that will bring about a group's physical destruction, imposing measures on a group to prevent births, and forcefully transferring children from one group to another.

Apart from the Holocaust, there have been a number of other events that at least some commentators have described as genocide. These include the devastation of numerous Native American tribes through battles with European settlers and exposure to their diseases; the killing of some 1.5 million Armenians by the Turks during and after World War I; the deaths of approximately 1.7 million Cambodians under the Khmer Rouge regime in Cambodia between 1975 and 1979; the killing of hundreds of thousands of civilians during the Vietnam War; the deaths of more than 20,000 Christian Orthodox Serbs, Muslims, and Roman Catholic Croats in "ethnic cleansing" arising out of the civil war in Croatia and Bosnia-Herzegovina during the early 1990s; and the deaths of more than one million Rwandan civilians in ethnic clashes between the Hutu and Tutsi peoples, also during the early 1990s.

legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/G...

Full Definition of GENOCIDE

:  the deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group

geno·cid·al \ˌje-nə-ˈsī-dəl\ adjective

Genocide

noun

the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group.

Derived Forms

genocidal, adjective

Word Origin

C20: from geno-, from Greek genos race + -cide

Contemporary Examples

Predicting Palestinian genocide of Jews under a one-state solution is a mite farfetched, I would submit.

When there is genocide in Darfur, systematic rape in Congo, repression in Burma -- there must be consequences.

To get a resolution about genocide passed, he devised a letter-writing campaign

Genocide

NOUN

1. the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation

www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/

Genocide

“Genocide,” a term used to describe violence against members of a national, ethnical, racial or religious group with the intent to destroy the entire group, came into general usage only after World War II, when the full extent of the atrocities committed by the Nazi regime against the Jews of Europe during that conflict became known. In 1948, the United Nations declared genocide to be an international crime; the term would later be applied to the horrific acts of violence committed during conflicts in the former Yugoslavia and in the African country of Rwanda in the 1990s

The word genocide owes its existence to Raphael Lemkin, a Polish-Jewish lawyer who fled the Nazi occupation of Poland and arrived in the United States in 1941. As a boy, Lemkin had been horrified when he learned of the Turkish massacre of hundreds of thousands of Armenians during World War I. As an adult, he set out to come up with a term to describe Nazi crimes against European Jews during World War II, and to enter that term into the world of international law in the hopes of preventing and punishing such horrific crimes against innocent people. In 1944, he coined the term “genocide” by combining genos, the Greek word for race or tribe, with the Latin suffix cide (“to kill”).

www.history.com/topics/what-is-genocide

International legal definition

The international legal definition of the crime of genocide is found in Articles II and III of the 1948 Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of Genocide.

Article II describes two elements of the crime of genocide:

1) the mental element, meaning the "intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such", and

2) the physical element which includes five acts described in sections a, b, c, d and e. A crime must include both elements to be called "genocide."

Article III described five punishable forms of the crime of genocide: genocide; conspiracy, incitement, attempt and complicity.

www.preventgenocide.org/genocide/officia...

What is Genocide

The term “genocide” did not exist prior to 1944. It is a very specific term, referring to violent crimes committed against a group with the intent to destroy the existence of the group. Human rights, as laid out in the US Bill of Rights or the 1948 United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights, concern the rights of individuals.

www.ushmm.org/confront-genocide/defining...

There are more references available if anyone reading this needs more

Genocide and Parricide do not have the same origins/deriviations

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
There is no such thing as "illegals"
LGBT Lives Matter
Poor Women's Lives Matter

"If we jump too quickly to the universal formulation, 'all lives matter,' then we miss the fact that black people have not yet been included in the idea of 'all lives.'"

--Professor Judith Butler
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 7 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook