Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 3 of 16  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Next
Switch to Forum Live View More Obama Foreign Policy Legacy
2 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2015 - 12:53PM #21
nnsecu
If I remember correctly didnt Obama send around 400 or so troops in Syria earlier this year to train the opposition forces?   they may be in sneakers so Obama can keep his pledge of "no boots".
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2015 - 1:02PM #22
mecdukebec
Well I proably know the differences of an 11B or an 0300 having buried a few...better than a flacid Chickenhawk but I keep wondering what large numbers of deployments at present the OP is making.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2015 - 1:09PM #23
nnsecu
There may not be a massive amount of troops, but their are some there.  You asked the question, but already knew the answer.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2015 - 1:11PM #24
mecdukebec
I was hinting at an MOS which flew right past you.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2015 - 1:12PM #25
Jasr

Oct 1, 2015 -- 12:34PM, TENAC wrote:

Pulling our troops home so they don't get hit by Russian bombing missions.

Really?

Not long ago you were all about starting another war. You were going to pay for it by federal worker fuloughs, remember?

The reemergence of the Soviet Union is not going to look good in a room in obama's library.

What a silly thing to say.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2015 - 1:19PM #26
nnsecu
no i got your MoS reference and understand the difference between someone in an advisory role verse ground pounder.  but to claim there are no troops is false.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2015 - 1:40PM #27
looshawn

TENAC, here's an article that should help answer some the questions that many are asking.

Putin dares, Obama dithers

The danger of Russia’s intervention in Syria, and America’s timidity in Afghanistan

TO HEAR Vladimir Putin, Russia has become the leader of a new global war on terrorism. By contrast Barack Obama seems wearier by the day with the wars in the Muslim world that America has been fighting for more than a decade. On September 30th Russian jets went into action to support Bashar al-Assad’s beleaguered troops. It is setting up an intelligence-sharing network with Iraq and Iran. The Russian Orthodox church talks of holy war. Mr Putin’s claim to be fighting Islamic State (IS) is questionable at best. The evidence of Russia’s first day of bombing is that it attacked other Sunni rebels, including some supported by America. Even if this is little more than political theatre, Russia is making its biggest move in the Middle East, hitherto America’s domain, since the Soviet Union was evicted in the 1970s.

In Afghanistan, meanwhile, America’s campaign against the Taliban has suffered a blow. On September 28th Taliban rebels captured the northern town of Kunduz—the first provincial capital to fall to them since they were evicted from power in 2001. Afghan troops retook the centre three days later. But even if they establish full control, the attack was a humiliation.

Both Kunduz and Russia’s bombing are symptoms of the same phenomenon: the vacuum created by Barack Obama’s attempt to stand back from the wars of the Muslim world. America’s president told the UN General Assembly this week that his country had learned it “cannot by itself impose stability on a foreign land”; others, Iran and Russia included, should help in Syria. Mr Obama is not entirely wrong. But his proposition hides many dangers: that America throws up its hands; that regional powers, sensing American disengagement, will be sucked into a free-for-all; and that Russia’s intervention will make a bloody war bloodier still. Unless Mr Obama changes course, expect more deaths, refugees and extremism.

Moderated by Merope on Oct 01, 2015 - 02:25PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2015 - 2:17PM #28
Stardove

Obama, Putin agree militaries to hold talks to avoid conflicts in Syria

U.S. President Barack Obama and Russian President Vladimir Putin agreed on Monday to direct their militaries to hold talks to avoid conflict over potential operations in Syria, a U.S. official said.

The two men also agreed to explore options for a political solution in Syria, but disagreed on the future of President Bashar al-Assad.

Obama and Putin met on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly. Their roughly 90-minute talk covered Ukraine and Syria, the official said.

Continued at www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/29/us-un...

I suppose the Pope being in the US was bigger news than Putin being in the US.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove

People change for two main reasons: either their minds have been opened or their hearts have been broken.
---Anonymous

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2015 - 2:33PM #29
Jasr

And Here's another that debunks the fallacy that Putin is intervening as a show of strength.

In fact, Putin does not have the military muscle to project genuine influence into the Middle East. He won’t be able to build up his forces stealthily, as he did in Ukraine. Nor does he get anything of material or strategic importance out of his alliance with the embattled Syrian dictator, Bashar al-Assad. But he will attain the appearance of influence, and that’s all that matters. It could certainly be useful abroad: Together with his appearance at the U.N. for the first time in a decade and his long interview with Charlie Rose, it might—indeed, almost certainly will—help draw U.S. and European attention away from the humanitarian disaster he has created in eastern Ukraine, and help lift the sanctions that are dragging down the Russian economy and hitting the wallets of some of his closest friends.

www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2015 - 3:10PM #30
vra

The reemergence of the Soviet Union is not going to look good in a room in obama's library.

Let me ask you again as I asked earlier: What would you have Obama do?   

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 16  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook