Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

 
Post Reply
Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Will Non-Jews Soon Be Second-Class Citizens in Israel?
3 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2014 - 5:04AM #1
BDboy
Posts: 8,220

An Israeli daily commented on a new bill in Israel which will legally make Israel a "Jewish state". Where non-Jews cannot legally ask for equal treatment. It is an interesting development. 


As an Australian newspaper said, it will make Arabs second class citizens.


There are other concerns as well. Now officially there will be no differences between Jewish state of Israel and Islamic state of Iran


Israel has been slowly but steadly sliding down to right wingers and recent development are sure signs of that. The situation in Jerusalem is another reflection of rise of religious fanaticism in Israel 


I am sharing some excerpts from an Israeli daily on this topic: 


In Israel, instead of equal rights, no equality at all


Source: www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.62798... 


 " ...The principles of liberty, justice and peace expressed by the prophets of Israel remain, but complete social and political equality, which, it should be noted, never came to fruition, has been replaced by personal rights of all citizens "according to any law." The wording is vague, limiting personal rights to "according to any law," and renders the clause effectively useless when the "law" itself is discriminatory. Moreover, personal rights don't include collective rights, like the right to language and culture... 


... As to the declaration of democracy, equal citizenship is indeed a basic component of democracy, but the whole bill is based on undermining equal citizenship by equating the state with only part of its citizenry. The right to self-determination in the state, according to the bill, is limited to Jews... 


... Complete constitutional equality would also undermine the inequality between men and women, which is maintained by the fact that marriage and divorce in Israel are controlled by a religious system that prohibits women from being judges and that doesn't consider both sexes equal before the law...


........................ 


 


The declaration in the proposed law that "the right to exercise national self-determination in Israel is exclusive to the Jewish people" undermines the notion that a large national minority in Israel is also entitled to representation and not just "individual" rights. In that respect, the proposal is a step toward greater discrimination against the country's Arab population, or perhaps toward Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman's plan – to remove that population from within the country's borders.


Source: www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.62798...

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Dec 20, 2014 - 05:47AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2014 - 9:11AM #2
Iwantamotto
Posts: 9,234

Well, clearly this can't be true because to suggest that the Israeli government is racist is racist and anti-Semitic.  To point out that Netanyahu and his cabinet clearly would like ethnic cleansing of "their" country makes you a Nazi.

Moderated by Merope on Nov 24, 2014 - 12:00PM
Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2014 - 10:30AM #3
shmuelgoldstein
Posts: 3,014

Nov 24, 2014 -- 9:11AM, Iwantamotto wrote:

 Well, clearly this can't be true



Oh, it's true. But that's not why pointing it out is antisemitic.


The reason pointing it out is antisemitic is that only negative things are pointed out. 


For example, has it been pointed out that the quoted newspaper source is itself Israeli? 


Or the fact that there is now a coalition crisis because Tzipi Livni and Yair Lapid voted *against* this proposed law? 


No. 

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Dec 20, 2014 - 05:48AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2014 - 11:09AM #4
mountain_man
Posts: 44,029

Nov 24, 2014 -- 9:11AM, Iwantamotto wrote:

Well, clearly this can't be true because to suggest that the Israeli government is racist is racist and anti-Semitic.  To point out that Netanyahu and his cabinet clearly would like ethnic cleansing of "their" country makes you a Nazi.


I know.... that would be horrible to accuse Israel of such things...... but.... it is true.


Here's a quote from one source; "The Israeli cabinet approved on Sunday the controversial "National Law" bill based on the versions submitted by MK Ze'ev Elkin of Likud and a nearly identical version proposed by MKs Ayelet Shaked of Jewish Home, Yariv Levin of Likud and Robert Ilatov of Yisrael Beytenu, Israel's Channel 7news reported on Monday.


The National Law aims to recognise the State of Israel as "the national home of the Jewish people," where "the right to realisation of national self-determination in Israel is exclusive to the Jewish people." The non-Jewish Arab population in Israel is about 20 per cent."


They're just making law what they've been doing for a long time. They expelled the Palestinians in 1948 and want to get rid of the rest.... except for those that do menial jobs that Israelis don't want to do.

Moderated by Merope on Nov 24, 2014 - 12:01PM
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2014 - 11:10AM #5
LeahOne
Posts: 18,418

First of all, this is a PROPOSED law - not one which has passed, not one which has been validated by the Supreme Court (as I'm sure it will be challenged).


Second, the fact that some pol proposes distasteful legislation is NOT an indictment of the entire society - or anyone in the US would have no 'moral high ground' to sneer from.  We've had a POTUS publically state that 'atheists can't be patriots' - which is about the same level of reasonable.

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Dec 20, 2014 - 05:49AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2014 - 11:17AM #6
mountain_man
Posts: 44,029

Nov 24, 2014 -- 11:10AM, LeahOne wrote:

First of all, this is a PROPOSED law - not one which has passed, not one which has been validated by the Supreme Court (as I'm sure it will be challenged).


That they even proposed this bill validates all that some of us has been saying about Israel.


Second, the fact that some pol proposes distasteful legislation is NOT an indictment of the entire society....


It does. Those people were voted into power.

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Dec 20, 2014 - 05:53AM
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2014 - 12:29PM #7
Iwantamotto
Posts: 9,234

It does. Those people were voted into power.



I disagree.  I didn't vote for the assholes going into the government.  When Democrats were available on the ballot, I voted for them.  It ultimately didn't matter.  Texas is going to continue its downward slide and I DID vote for "the other guy".

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Dec 20, 2014 - 05:57AM
Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2014 - 12:42PM #8
mountain_man
Posts: 44,029

Nov 24, 2014 -- 12:29PM, Iwantamotto wrote:

It does. Those people were voted into power.


I disagree.  I didn't vote for the assholes going into the government. ...


Yes, but we are talking about Israel that has voted for these kind of politicians for generations. The party that regularly supports this kind of behavior was founded by terrorists, so it's not unexpected.

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Dec 20, 2014 - 05:54AM
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2014 - 12:53PM #9
LeahOne
Posts: 18,418

Nov 24, 2014 -- 11:17AM, mountain_man wrote:


Nov 24, 2014 -- 11:10AM, LeahOne wrote:

First of all, this is a PROPOSED law - not one which has passed, not one which has been validated by the Supreme Court (as I'm sure it will be challenged).


That they even proposed this bill validates all that some of us has been saying about Israel.


So you claim:  where's the facts to back it up? 


Second, the fact that some pol proposes distasteful legislation is NOT an indictment of the entire society....


It does. Those people were voted into power.


Er, NO:  first of all I'm an American and don't vote in Israeli elections.  And second, are you accepting responsibility for ALL actions of ALL US pols?  


Not to mention the sheer idiocy in assuming that one 'knows' how anyone else cast their vote.




Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Dec 20, 2014 - 05:55AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2014 - 12:56PM #10
LeahOne
Posts: 18,418

I don't see a lot of difference  between this 'law' and the "Defense of Marriage Act" - do you?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook