Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

 
Post Reply
Page 16 of 16  •  Prev 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16
Switch to Forum Live View Weather & Geological Events
2 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2015 - 11:41PM #151
Merope
Posts: 14,591

Historic flooding has hit South Carolina. 


South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley didn't mince any words Sunday about just how dangerous a situation the weather -- which was blamed for five deaths in the state by Sunday night -- had become in her state.  "We are at a 1,000-year level of rain," Haley said at an afternoon news conference. "That's how big this is."


It wasn't hyperbole.


Since weather records don't go back far enough to know if it's rained this much in South Carolina in a 1,000 years, a "thousand-year rainfall" means that the amount of rainfall in South Carolina has a 1-in-1,000 chance of happening in any given year, explained CNN meteorologist Taylor Ward.


Certain areas of South Carolina had never before been deluged with such eye-popping rainfall tallies: more than 24 inches in Mount Pleasant, nearly 20 inches in areas around Charleston and more than 18 inches in the Gills Creek area of Columbia, according to Ward.


Steven Pfaff of the National Weather Service said the "phenomenal amount of rainfall" was "a very dangerous situation."  "Flash flood warnings have been issued and many areas that received a large amount of rainfall 24 hours ago are being hit hard again," said Plaff. "This is an extremely dangerous situation in those areas."


But the torrential rain was more than just dangerous. It was deadly.


The weather is being blamed for five deaths along South Carolina roadways, according to Derrec Becker of the South Carolina Emergency Management Division.  Three of those deaths were reported by the South Carolina Highway Patrol, and two by the Richland County Sheriff's Department, according to Becker.


The weather service issued a public service announcement video reminding people not to drive through rushing waters, no matter how shallow the water appears to be. "Do not attempt to drive into flooded roadways ... it takes just 12 inches of flowing water to carry off a small car. Turn around, don't drown," it said.



"Regardless of where you are in the state, stay home," implored the governor. "Stay off the roadways."  But many didn't heed their call.


Becker said that 315 vehicle collisions occurred in one 12-hour period on Sunday, and Haley said that more than 750 motorists called for assistance during that same stretch.


Perhaps that is why Haley went beyond simply urging South Carolinians to stay off the roads in some areas. In Columbia, for example -- a city that had the rainiest day in its history Sunday according to the National Weather Service -- Haley made sure of it by closing all interstates in and around the capital city.


"This is an incident we've never dealt with before," she said.


Haley announced Sunday that in addition to the eight swift water rescue teams and 11 aircraft, 600 National Guardsmen had been deployed to assist in rescues and evacuations, and that hundreds more were on standby.


The day before, President Barack Obama signed a statewide emergency declaration retroactive to Thursday, authorizing federal aid in anticipation of more rain.


Haley also said several fellow states, including North Carolina, Tennessee and Florida had lent resources as well.


The weather service forecast "catastrophic flash flooding" overnight into Monday in Berkeley County in South Carolina, where more than 18 inches of rain had fallen in 24 hours, according to the CNN Weather Center.  "It's not over," warned Haley. "We are in the middle of it...we have another 24 hours of this."


The wet misery isn't just limited to South Carolina; as of Sunday evening, both Carolinas, New Jersey and Virginia were under states of emergency, and the weather service has issued flood watches stretching from Georgia to Delaware.


But Hurricane Joaquin, downgraded to Category 3 strength earlier in the day Sunday and only expected to continue to weaken, isn't necessarily the culprit -- it's coming from two sources.


The low pressure area associated with the rain soaking the Carolinas is funneling heavy tropical moisture into the region, creating the torrential rainfall, the CNN Weather Center said.  www.cnn.com/2015/10/04/us/east-coast-rai...

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2015 - 3:15PM #152
Merope
Posts: 14,591


The National Weather Service now expects El Niño to bring wetter-than-average rains to virtually all of California, forecasters said for the first time today.


The new forecast is significant because it raises the chance that El Niño will send big storms not only to Southern California and the San Francisco Bay Area — as has already been forecast — but also to the mountains that feed California’s most important reservoirs, which fuel water for much of the entire state.  California’s largest reservoirs, Shasta Lake and Lake Oroville, are in the northern edge of the state.


Federal officials said they expect El Niño rains to ease drought conditions in California, but they're not expected to eliminate the drought because the state is so far behind on precipitation.


The chance of heavy rain is strongest in Los Angeles and San Diego, where there is a 60% chance of a wet winter, a 33% chance of an average winter, and less than a 7% chance of a dry winter.


In Silicon Valley, there is more than a 50% likelihood of a wet winter and less than a 17% chance of a dry winter.  Farther north, there is a greater than 40% chance of a wetter-than-average rainy winter in San Francisco and Sacramento, and less than a 27% probability of a drier-than-normal winter.


With the latest prediction, the far northern parts of California — now reaching the border with Oregon — are expected to have a 33% to 39% chance of a wetter-than-average winter, and a 28% to 33% chance of a dry one.  Last month, the climate forecast for that area was only equal chances of a wet or dry winter.


The power of the upcoming El Niño likely will be comparable to the 1982-83 and the 1997-98 El Niños.  Those winters brought dramatic weather changes worldwide and extensive damage and flooding throughout California. “The Sierras got double their snowpack in ’83 and ’98, and places like Sacramento and San Francisco got double their rainfall.  So the whole state got hosed,” said Bill Patzert, climatologist at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in La Cañada Flintridge. 


www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-el-...


Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2015 - 6:35AM #153
Merope
Posts: 14,591

Typhoon Koppu could bring 6 feet of rain to the Philippines as it hovers over the country this weekend and into next week.  Koppu was expected to make landfall by Saturday night local time (Saturday morning EDT).


Typhoon Koppu — which is known as "Lando" in the Philippines — had estimated maximum sustained winds of about 120 mph by 11 PM EDT Friday. That's the equivalent of a Category 3 storm.


The Weather Channel is warning of a potential "catastrophic flood threat" from a days-long deluge.


President Benigno Aquino III appeared on national television Friday to warn the country to prepare for the incoming storm, warning that an estimated 7.5 million people would likely need of assistance during and after the storm.  Aquino has not issued a storm warning on national television since 2013 when Typhoon Haiyan ripped through the country leaving more than 7,300 people dead and missing in its wake.


www.nbcnews.com/news/world/typhoon-koppu...

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2015 - 9:21PM #154
Merope
Posts: 14,591

Hurricane Patricia is expected to make landfall on Mexico's west coast Friday afternoon, according to the National Hurricane Center.  The NOAA is calling Patricia "an extremely dangerous" Category 4 hurricane.  


By Saturday afternoon, the center of Patricia is expected to be in the middle of Mexico. 


A hurricane watch is in effect from San Blas to Punta San Telmo and east to Lázaro Cárdenas


www.newsweek.com/hurricane-patricia-cate...

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2015 - 11:56AM #155
Merope
Posts: 14,591

Patricia is "the strongest hurricane on record in the National Hurricane Center's area of responsibility (AOR) which includes the Atlantic and the eastern North Pacific basins," according to the National Hurricane Center.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2015 - 6:57PM #156
mountain_man
Posts: 44,029

Patricia is now depressed. Anyone having to go to Texas is depressed.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2015 - 2:32PM #157
Stardove
Posts: 17,597

Huge quake jolts north Afghan range; more than 215 dead across region    
    
KABUL - A massive earthquake rocked northeastern Afghanistan on Monday with devastating tremors rippling across the region, leaving more than 215 dead amid collapsed buildings, panicked stampedes and fears of landslides.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove


People change for two main reasons: either their minds have been opened or their hearts have been broken.
---Anonymous

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2015 - 7:46PM #158
Merope
Posts: 14,591

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 16 of 16  •  Prev 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook