Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View It's Getting Closer
4 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2013 - 12:00PM #1
mountain_man
According to Scientific American; "Safe Limit for Global Warming Is Lowered Dramatically by Experts."

From the article: Unless significant, steady reductions in the emissions of carbon dioxide from burning fossil fuels begin extremely soon, the Earth might be much closer to potentially catastrophic warming than is widely believed. So argues climatologist James Hansen of the Columbia University Earth Institute and an international team of colleagues in a new analysis published today in the journal PLOS One. Their paper further underscores other recent studies showing that even small delays in shrinking the industrial output of carbon dioxide (CO2) could steeply complicate not only attempts to temper climate change but also any attempts by future generations to adapt to it.

Here's the rest of the story.
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2013 - 1:58PM #2
SeraphimR

Dec 4, 2013 -- 12:00PM, mountain_man wrote:

According to Scientific American; "Safe Limit for Global Warming Is Lowered Dramatically by Experts."

From the article: Unless significant, steady reductions in the emissions of carbon dioxide from burning fossil fuels begin extremely soon, the Earth might be much closer to potentially catastrophic warming than is widely believed. So argues climatologist James Hansen of the Columbia University Earth Institute and an international team of colleagues in a new analysis published today in the journal PLOS One. Their paper further underscores other recent studies showing that even small delays in shrinking the industrial output of carbon dioxide (CO2) could steeply complicate not only attempts to temper climate change but also any attempts by future generations to adapt to it.

Here's the rest of the story.

Yawn.

“So long as there is squalor in the world, those obsessed with social justice feel obliged not only to live in it themselves but also to spread it evenly.”

http://takimag.com/article/the_ugly_truth_theodore_dalrymple
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2013 - 1:59PM #3
TemplarS

What is this guy, a Marxist?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2013 - 2:04PM #4
mountain_man

Dec 4, 2013 -- 1:59PM, TemplarS wrote:

He must be since he disagrees with the fascist Regressives.

Have you noticed that it is only Regressives that make this political? To everyone else this is science.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2013 - 2:05PM #5
SeraphimR

Just a guy who makes a living out of scaring the rubes with the eco-apocalypse.  He is the Harold Camping of the secularists.

“So long as there is squalor in the world, those obsessed with social justice feel obliged not only to live in it themselves but also to spread it evenly.”

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2013 - 4:56PM #6
MMarcoe

Dec 4, 2013 -- 2:04PM, mountain_man wrote:

He must be since he disagrees with the fascist Regressives.

Have you noticed that it is only Regressives that make this political? To everyone else this is science.

Lol. Only someone blind to reality would think that "only Regressives" make this political. The rest of us live in reality. The truth is, both sides make it political.

Must be nice to live in a world where the Left can do no wrong.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is the original nothingness of the universe.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2013 - 5:01PM #7
mountain_man

Dec 4, 2013 -- 4:56PM, MMarcoe wrote:

Lol. Only someone blind to reality would think that "only Regressives" make this political. The rest of us live in reality. The truth is, both sides make it political.

Not true, and you know it.

Must be nice to live in a world where the Left can do no wrong.

I have never said any such thing, but I understand your ego needs to see it that way.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2013 - 5:17PM #8
TemplarS

Well, yeah, there are maybe a few on the left who actually want what this gentleman says to be true.

As for me: I really, really, really, really, really hope he is wrong. I would be delighted if he were wrong. I would dance in the street if global warming turns out to be a fiction.  I would not wish this on our planet for all the political capital in the galaxy.

But all the wishing and hoping I can muster cannot convince me that he is in fact wrong. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2013 - 5:41PM #9
MMarcoe

Dec 4, 2013 -- 5:01PM, mountain_man wrote:

Dec 4, 2013 -- 4:56PM, MMarcoe wrote:

Not true, and you know it.

This is something that is or is not verifiable, and you know it. We've heard both Democrats and Republicans make it a political issue.

You can't hide from the fact that your beloved Left makes a lot of things political.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is the original nothingness of the universe.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2013 - 6:31PM #10
SeraphimR

Dec 4, 2013 -- 5:17PM, TemplarS wrote:

Well, yeah, there are maybe a few on the left who actually want what this gentleman says to be true.

As for me: I really, really, really, really, really hope he is wrong. I would be delighted if he were wrong. I would dance in the street if global warming turns out to be a fiction.  I would not wish this on our planet for all the political capital in the galaxy.

But all the wishing and hoping I can muster cannot convince me that he is in fact wrong. 

His predictions have turned out wrong in the past.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook