Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 33  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 33 Next
Switch to Forum Live View White Smoke in Rome
5 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2013 - 2:51PM #1
DotNotInOz

About a half hour ago, white smoke signaled that a new pope has been selected. I propose retiring the Benedict Resigns thread along with the now replaced pope. usatoday.com/article/news/1983463

Note to mods: I'm on my mobile and tried to modify the mobile link which may not have worked. If this thread is kept, I hope one of you will fix it. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2013 - 2:52PM #2
Erey

I don't know why I am excited, but I am a little.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2013 - 2:55PM #3
CoolWarrior

I sincerely pray that the new guy has the balls to clean up the Augean Stables of a mess that JP2 and B16 made of the Priest-Perps Sexually Abusing Children.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2013 - 3:16PM #4
DotNotInOz
Jorge Mario Bergoglio, an Argentinian and the first Jesuit to become Pope.

Francis I, the name.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2013 - 3:20PM #5
DotNotInOz
How peculiar that the name of one of the most beloved of the saints, Francis of Assisi, has never before been chosen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2013 - 3:29PM #6
CoolWarrior

From an article on seven of the top runners before the conclave:

___

CARDINAL JORGE MARIO BERGOGLIO:

Bergoglio, 76, has spent nearly his entire career at home in Argentina, overseeing churches and shoe-leather priests.

The archbishop of Buenos Aires reportedly got the second-most votes after Joseph Ratzinger in the 2005 papal election, and he has long specialized in the kind of pastoral work that some say is an essential skill for the next pope.

In a lifetime of teaching and leading priests in Latin America, which has the largest share of the world's Catholics, Bergoglio has shown a keen political sensibility as well as the kind of self-effacing humility that fellow cardinals value highly.

Bergoglio is known for modernizing an Argentine church that had been among the most conservative in Latin America."

Heck he's 76.

But maybe just maybe he will be a reformer based on his work in modernizing the formerly very conservative Argentine church?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2013 - 3:48PM #7
jane2

IDBC  told this boad first.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2013 - 3:58PM #8
CoolWarrior

Mar 13, 2013 -- 3:20PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

How peculiar that the name of one of the most beloved of the saints, Francis of Assisi, has never before been chosen.

I know. I've always wondered about that.

I am praying that he can live up to the name particularly in how he treats the victims of the Priest Sex Abuse.

Maybe we should send him a plaque to put on his desk that says:

"WWFD?"
What would Francis (of Assisi) do?"

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2013 - 4:08PM #9
CoolWarrior

Because of the short amount of time this took it's obvious I was right about this being a pre-done deal.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2013 - 4:10PM #10
CoolWarrior

Oh shoot:

"Bergoglio is seen an unwaveringly orthodox on matters of sexual morality,

staunchly opposing abortion, same-sex marriage, and contraception. In 2010 he asserted that gay adoption is a form of discrimination against children, earning a public rebuke from Argentina's President, Cristina Fernández de Kirchner."

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 33  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 33 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook