Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 25 of 25  •  Prev 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25
Switch to Forum Live View Pakistani Couple Murder Daughter with Acid
5 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2012 - 8:55PM #241
Erey

Nov 16, 2012 -- 6:52PM, Miraj wrote:

Nov 16, 2012 -- 4:11PM, Shusha wrote:

Mouse,

I think you are reading things into my posts that aren't actually there.

I am in no way suggesting that women should be more slutty.  The sexual objectification of women is a MAJOR problem in western society.  This is the last thing I would advocate.  Though I wonder how you would define "slutty". 

What I am asking is for men to be more responsible in accepting a gatekeeping role which will protect women in the long run. 

But, women, and men, ARE more slutty these days.  Sexual objectification has worked across the board.  Even children are portrayed as sex objects in the media.

I think increased sexual freedom is mostly a good thing.....mostly.  I think what I noticed with the women I grew up with is that we sort of tore down all the boundaries.  Boundaries of race, religion, class, manners and sex.  Alot of this was productive and positive. However when it comes to sex I think it left alot of my female peers very vunerable, without protective boundaries and sort of heart-torn and hurt.  The old boundaries were no good, invalid sort of belief, but then no new boundaries were not really in place so the women were so vunerable on alot of different emotional, sexual and societal levels. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2012 - 9:18PM #242
Miraj

Nov 19, 2012 -- 3:35PM, Shusha wrote:

I have to thank all of the participants of this thread.  This has certainly been one of the most productive threads I've seen here on Bnet.

Does anyone care to discuss what we can do to find a solution to these problems?

Personally, I don't think that sex is the problem, per se.  The problem in the west is the objectification of women and especially the dicotomy of women as having to be both "pure" and enticing. 

My sense of more religiously traditionalist societies (all religions) is different.  I hope Miraj, or others, chime in. 

What you said.

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2012 - 9:19PM #243
Miraj

Nov 19, 2012 -- 8:55PM, Erey wrote:

I think increased sexual freedom is mostly a good thing.....mostly.  I think what I noticed with the women I grew up with is that we sort of tore down all the boundaries.  Boundaries of race, religion, class, manners and sex.  Alot of this was productive and positive. However when it comes to sex I think it left alot of my female peers very vunerable, without protective boundaries and sort of heart-torn and hurt.  The old boundaries were no good, invalid sort of belief, but then no new boundaries were not really in place so the women were so vunerable on alot of different emotional, sexual and societal levels. 

What Erey said is really good, too.  You gals did all the work for me :-D

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2012 - 4:09PM #244
klm

[

You can say this kind of problem has nothing to do with Islam and you can say it is because of Islam.  I don't really think that matters at all.  But what is clear to me is that changing hearts and minds in that area will necessitate the need to change the religious education in that area.  These pople need to hear from their local scholars and Imams and from the lectures in the mosques.  I don't think the government is highly prized in that part of the world and western volunteers and charity groups are not highly thought of either.    These people go to mosque, they get some kind of religious education which varyies but it is rather typical.  If Islam is or is not the problem is not what is important when Islam can be part of the solution.  

[/quote]

I agree they need to hear it from the Imams but it seems the local imams might like the status quo.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 25 of 25  •  Prev 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook