Page 5 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Today is a Black Day in U.S. History
2 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2012 - 8:53AM #41
TENAC
Through those actions, this "wretched" country saved over four times the number of lives the actions cost
Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2012 - 9:52AM #42
loveontheair

Hello,

Where are the liberals here who are center-left? May I see a show of hands? Are all the posters here who are liberal, far left wing-nut nut jobs? Many of the comments I have read are *white trailer trash and some from *distinguished posters...insult those who fought in this war. If our past bothers you may I suggest a good doctor. I find in your attempts to re-write History nauseating.

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2012 - 10:21AM #43
amcolph

Aug 9, 2012 -- 9:52AM, loveontheair wrote:

Hello,

Where are the liberals here who are center-left? May I see a show of hands? Are all the posters here who are liberal, far left wing-nut nut jobs? Many of the comments I have read are *white trailer trash and some from *distinguished posters...insult those who fought in this war. If our past bothers you may I suggest a good doctor. I find in your attempts to re-write History nauseating.

love

I really don't see why a policy decision taken late in the war by Truman and his close advisors could be an insult to those who fought in it.

Catboxer has made a plausible suggestion as to what may have influenced that decision.  If you google around you will find that there is at least some evidence that he is correct.

Just being insulted is not a reasonable rebuttle. 

This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2012 - 10:23AM #44
amcolph

Aug 8, 2012 -- 11:42PM, Mlyons619 wrote:

You COMPLETELY forget what the psychology of the times was.

Careful now, that argument cuts both ways. Undecided

This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2012 - 10:56AM #45
loveontheair

Aug 9, 2012 -- 10:21AM, amcolph wrote:

Aug 9, 2012 -- 9:52AM, loveontheair wrote:

Hello,

love

I really don't see why a policy decision taken late in the war by Truman and his close advisors could be an insult to those who fought in it.

Catboxer has made a plausible suggestion as to what may have influenced that decision.  If you google around you will find that there is at least some evidence that he is correct.

Just being insulted is not a reasonable rebuttle. 

Hello,

As far as policy is concerned we are playing armchair quarterback. It was a different time then and I'm sure they did not want to regret not ending the war as they did. To second guess our leaders and Vets is insulting.

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2012 - 11:20AM #46
catboxer

What I said insults no one except the orthodox believers in sanitized history.

I care nothing for the official version of American history, with its "settlers," and just wars and Muslim terrorists. And there is no bigger crock of bull than the official version of World War II. Neither do I care what true believers think of me, personally, because nothing matters but the truth.

That said, I can't be certain I know the truth. No human being can be. But I work to find the truth as I understand it, which can't be said for the passive ones who accept whatever is handed to them from up above, and for whom thinking and questioning are either too hard, or frightening in the way that only heresy and blasphemy are.

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2012 - 11:23AM #47
arielg

To second guess our leaders and Vets is insulting.

Why? Do they have some sort of special insight into the human condition?

Many of the comments I have read are *white trailer trash and some from *distinguished posters...insult those who fought in this war.

Everyone who fought a war deserve to be insulted. Wars are the lowest enterprise  human beings have come up with. Nothing about it is noble, deserving of respect.  (Unless one perceives through the narrow minded, patriotic, tribalistic mindset)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2012 - 11:26AM #48
TENAC
The Vets definitely special insight.
Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2012 - 11:31AM #49
catboxer

Veterans know what they're told, and one of the things they're told is "You're not paid to think." And that's as it must be, of necessity. I insulted no veterans here, one of whom was my own father, who told me the worst moment of his life came when his platoon was pinned down for hours by machine gun fire at the Bayreuth airport in 1945.

Anybody who doesn't question and second guess leaders -- any leaders, anywhere -- is a fool.

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2012 - 11:41AM #50
Erey

Aug 9, 2012 -- 11:20AM, catboxer wrote:

What I said insults no one except the orthodox believers in sanitized history.

I care nothing for the official version of American history, with its "settlers," and just wars and Muslim terrorists. And there is no bigger crock of bull than the official version of World War II. Neither do I care what true believers think of me, personally, because nothing matters but the truth.

That said, I can't be certain I know the truth. No human being can be. But I work to find the truth as I understand it, which can't be said for the passive ones who accept whatever is handed to them from up above, and for whom thinking and questioning are either too hard, or frightening in the way that only heresy and blasphemy are.

I believe there is such a thing as santitized history, yes that exists.  But Cat there is also such a think as agenda oriented history and sanctimonious history and I think you are guilty of that.  In short, I am saying your history is very far from pure or even striving towards noble ends.  You might think it does but your history is nothing more than a leftist cultural meme.

Question, yes of course.  And sometimes history as more light is shed and more time has passed with the immediacy removed will change a bit.  I think you need to consider are you really accusing the rest of us here of NEVER questioning WW2?  Because I am looking at a group of people that might not be WW2 history buffs (I am not but a few here are) but the group here by and large likes to consider other points of view and are pretty good at questioning.  I don't see anyone here concerned with blasphemy.  Nobody here is religious about WW2.  I would say there are too many holes in your version of the truth, but it seems to meet your cultural identification needs so you cling to it. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook