Page 8 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Switch to Forum Live View Today is a Black Day in U.S. History
2 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2012 - 8:38PM #71
solfeggio

There is really no connection between the bombing of Japanese cities to end the war and America's nuclear programme today.  But, although they are two separate issues, one led into the other. 

What people today should understand is that today's bombs are thousands of times more powerful than those dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  Also, since in 1945 America had only three atomic bombs, the dropping of two of them was not going to start a nuclear war.

The problem, of course, was the proliferation and development of nuclear weapons after WWII.  We know, for instance, that German-born rocket scientist Wernher von Braun, a member of not just the Nazi party but the SS (!!) was allowed escape any sort of punishment for his war crimes (!) so that he could be taken to the U.S. to work on the development of nuclear weapons. 

And he was just the most well-known of the Nazi butchers who were allowed to prosper in the U.S. after the war.  There were plenty of others, too.  If you were involved in the V-2 project in just about any capacity, they wanted you.

So, instead of people being horrified at what had been wrought, and therefore thinking that there must not be anymore atomic bombs, nuclear power became a national priority in not only Japan and America but other countries as well.

In America, it was called Atoms For Peace.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atoms_for_Peace

Where will it all end?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2012 - 9:55AM #72
catboxer

Aug 11, 2012 -- 8:38PM, solfeggio wrote:

So, instead of people being horrified at what had been wrought, and therefore thinking that there must not be anymore atomic bombs, nuclear power became a national priority in not only Japan and America but other countries as well.

In America, it was called Atoms For Peace.

I think it'll take the human race about 500 years to recover from the insanity that we collectively fell into during the 20th century. And I'm not using "insantiy" as a figure of speech or hyperbole here; I mean real, clinical, measurable and observable mental illness.

Of course, we may not live long enough to recover. Our craziness could kill us yet.

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2012 - 2:07PM #73
Mlyons619

Instead, America was horrified when the Soviets detonated their own nuclear bomb in 1949.  That was the beginnings of the A-bomb stockpiling, then the deveopment of the H-bomb, and the missile race.

Of course we see no nuclear protests in Russia...

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2012 - 2:59PM #74
withwonderingawe

I found this article which is interesting. I do think one has to be very careful about the quotes. I find people with an agenda very often take things out of context and add words with intentions which were never said nor felt.

There is this line;

“The proposals advocated signaling Japan that the U.S. was willing to consider the all-important retention of the emperor system; i.e., the U.S. would not insist upon "unconditional surrender"

And then;

"His Majesty is extremely anxious to terminate the war as soon as possible", said one communication. "Should, however, the United States and Great Britain insist on unconditional surrender, Japan would be forced to fight to the bitter end."

newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Uk/uk.p...

Unconditional surrender and the total oblivion of their emperor system is what we were insisting on. I meaning the emperor was almost treated as god or something.

I don’t know that the second bomb was needed but my Dad was sitting in one of those boats off the coast of Japan knowing they were about to go on a suicide mission. I’m glad he didn’t have too.

Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2012 - 8:21PM #75
Mlyons619

And that was the rub.  That would mean keeping the Imperial Government in place, including the Imperial War Cabinet that had authorized all the atrocities that made Japan so hated by the Allies.  Again, such was completely unacceptable to the Allies.

As to "fighting to the death" the Allies were more ythan familiar with how the Japanese surrendered.  From Buna to Tarawato Guadacanal to the Philipines to Iwo Jima and more, the Imperial Japanese Army had literally fought to the last man, and if unable to fight, more often than not chose suicide to surrender.  Approaching a Japanese-held island meant enduring a swarm of kamikazis, all bent on trading their lives for the opportunity of crashing onto American and Allied ships.  At Okinawa, the civilian population joined the Japanese soldiers into hurling themselves at the Allies, and Marines were horrified to see Japanese parents hurling their children over cliffs and then jumping after them, rather than surrender.

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 8 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook