Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Cabinet to speed up Jewish immigration from Ethiopia
2 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2012 - 7:36AM #21
shmuelgoldstein

Jul 12, 2012 -- 6:36PM, CharikIeia wrote:

Jul 12, 2012 -- 4:47PM, Shusha wrote:

Chari and Miraj,

What should immigration be based on, do you think?

I am opposed to nation states. Migration should generally be free.

Good to know.

Do you apply this to other countries as well? Like the U.S., Japan, Switzerland?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2012 - 7:37AM #22
shmuelgoldstein

Jul 16, 2012 -- 5:57AM, NahumS wrote:

Israel is far more than a refuge for persecuted Jews.

It is the only place where Jews can be part of a majority. It is the only country where the Jewish calendar is used, where Jewish holidays are also national holidays, where Hebrew is the main language (although Arabic is also an official language, and English, French and Russian are widely spoken).

It is also the only Jewish community that is growing because of natural increase. Most Diaspora Jewish communities are in demographic decline and shrinking. They are also plagued by assimilation - in many cases they cannot maintain the critical mass necessary for survival.

Israel is, in a sense, a nature reserve for the Jewish people.

It produces a vibrant Jewish culture, both religious and secular. There are more Torah scholars in Israel than anywhere else - and probably more Jewish artists, sportsmen and writers as well.

Israel is essential to the survival of Jewish civilization and identity in today's world - and makes a significant and unique contribution to world culture and civilization.

The remnants of the Ethiopian Jewish community left there are largely those who have been pressured to convert to Christianity over the years, but who have continued to identify as Jews. They wish to return to their people and reunite with their relatives in Israel.

It's not easy to absorb them. They require a great deal of help and resources. Yet Israel accepts them out of a feeling of family obligation and gives them a tremendous amount of help in acclimating to life here.

I believe Israel should offfer sanctuary to persecuted individuals from all nations who make their way here - but in a proportionate manner. How many are being accepted by Canada, Australia, the US, European countries? Build a proportionate algorythm that includes resources, poulation and land mass and figure out how many Israel should accept as well.

What he said.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2012 - 9:07AM #23
BDboy

Jul 12, 2012 -- 11:40PM, LeahOne wrote:

It was bad enough helping the kid file tax form for 2 different states - I can't imagine what it'd be like to file for 2 or 3 different countries!

Chari, perhaps there will be no nation states in the future - but how do we get there peacefully, and what's to keep people from 'drowning' certain most desireable areas of the planet.

And how do we insure public health safety if everyone's free to go everywhere with no checks whatsoever?

>>>>>>> lol

I think we can start by looking at our problems in global perspective. Today we live in a time which allows us to be "Connected" from all corners of the globe.

Therefore problems in one corner becomes "Concerns" from another corner. So a good start will be looking at our "Common concerns" and "Common values" with common sense solutions.

Even fifty years ago, India and Pakistan fought with each other bitterly. Today they are signing treaties (Still have a long way to go but it started) to open up.

We have seen similar ideas flurishing in Europe as well. I am sure it will be hard to work out the "Glitches" and "Issues" but at the end we'll benifit by focusing on the globe than certain corner of the world.

For example, if there is a computer virus, it is common to see people from several countries are working in a team to solve this problem. Often we get the best results. Similarly if we look other challenges and work as a team to solve it, I am sure we can do better.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2012 - 11:21AM #24
Miraj

It is the only place where Jews can be part of a majority. It is the only country where the Jewish calendar is used, where Jewish holidays are also national holidays, where Hebrew is the main language (although Arabic is also an official language, and English, French and Russian are widely spoken).

It is also the only Jewish community that is growing because of natural increase. Most Diaspora Jewish communities are in demographic decline and shrinking. They are also plagued by assimilation - in many cases they cannot maintain the critical mass necessary for survival.

It produces a vibrant Jewish culture, both religious and secular. There are more Torah scholars in Israel than anywhere else - and probably more Jewish artists, sportsmen and writers as well.

Israel is essential to the survival of Jewish civilization and identity in today's world - and makes a significant and unique contribution to world culture and civilization.

The remnants of the Ethiopian Jewish community left there are largely those who have been pressured to convert to Christianity over the years, but who have continued to identify as Jews. They wish to return to their people and reunite with their relatives in Israel.

It's not easy to absorb them. They require a great deal of help and resources. Yet Israel accepts them out of a feeling of family obligation and gives them a tremendous amount of help in acclimating to life here.

I believe Israel should offfer sanctuary to persecuted individuals from all nations who make their way here - but in a proportionate manner. How many are being accepted by Canada, Australia, the US, European countries? Build a proportionate algorythm that includes resources, poulation and land mass and figure out how many Israel should accept as well.

Actually, NahumS, as an Israeli, I have no problem with there being a predominantly Jewish country in the ME.  In fact, I think it's cool since I appreciate Jewish culture and history.  What I find less appealing is the politics, the occupation (yes, it does exist), imposed cultural divisions, and the dualing premises "We're the best", "We're the victims", that are well represented on this board.

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2012 - 12:35PM #25
rocketjsquirell

Miraj

If you have no problem with the Jewish State in the Middle East why are you working so hard to destroy it? Why do you support those who wish to eliminate the State of Israel?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2012 - 4:30PM #26
Miraj

Jul 16, 2012 -- 12:35PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

Miraj

If you have no problem with the Jewish State in the Middle East why are you working so hard to destroy it? Why do you support those who wish to eliminate the State of Israel?

I like you, Rocky, but, I don't support you.

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2012 - 5:31AM #27
NahumS

Jul 16, 2012 -- 11:21AM, Miraj wrote:

Actually, NahumS, as an Israeli, I have no problem with there being a predominantly Jewish country in the ME.  In fact, I think it's cool since I appreciate Jewish culture and history.  What I find less appealing is the politics, the occupation (yes, it does exist), imposed cultural divisions, and the dualing premises "We're the best", "We're the victims", that are well represented on this board.

Miraj -

I'm pretty fed up with politics myself. As citizens, we can vote - and that has some effect on the political scene.
I disagree, as you know, with the concept of occupation. But I will agree that the Arabs of Judea and Samaria are not citizens, and that this is not a democratic situation.  At present, the PA refuses to negotiate with Israel -and that is foiling any sort of progress. I would like to see them absorbed into Israel - but only if they would cease being hostile and agree to recognize Israel as the nation-state of the Jewish people. Then they could have full and equal civil rights.

I'm afraid that, in our neighborhood, we are the best -except in size, pupulation, natural resources and wealth. I think that our neigbors realize this, and that is the problem. Jealousy and resentment are a source for hatred. Too bad - if our neighbors would cooperate, we could help raise their standard of living as well.

As to victimhood - when missiles are coming from Gaza and threats of anihilation from Iran, and delegitimization from everywhere else - then it's not hard to see yourself as a victim. 

We're all victims of this conflict - and ending it would be the only way to change that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook