Post Reply
Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Scranton, Pa. city employees (including police) now earning minimum wage
2 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2012 - 3:27PM #11
Find1Answer
Posts: 7,287

Jul 10, 2012 -- 1:45PM, Mlyons619 wrote:


I have no problem with this...


That is, IF Scranton's employment standards for police, fire, clerical, is now to be that of a mall cop or unskilled janitorial workers.


This is a GREAT opportunity to employ teens for summer help, and to get high school dropouts, and the unskilled homeless working.


Of course, if Scranton has any expectations of hiring or retaining highly skilled, highly qualified candidates, then their expectations have no basis in any reality, and they should not be at all surprised if the quality of their workforce takes a significant nosedive. 


But I'm sure that the Scranton taxpayers will appreciate getting their public services so cheaply and will have no problems with this at all...




got nothing to do with whether Scranton feels their cops are only worth minimum wage or you get what you pay for.    Scranton is broke.   this action will continue service for a few months before their unfunded liabilities and unpaid bills come due.


    scrantonisbroke.blogspot.com/


Here is an interesting blog from a citizen who has taken the time and expertise to explore Scranton's budget woes.      If you keep clicking on older posts you will get an eyeful. 

Bush's "de-Bathification program" eliminated all vestiges of Sunni power in Iraqi society and set the stage for the Sunni insurrection against American occupation and the new Shiite-led government. Bush disbanded the entire Sunni-dominated Iraqi Army and bureaucracy. He didn't change it. He didn't make it more inclusive of Shiites and Kurds. He just disbanded it. It is no accident that two of the top commanders of today's ISIL are former commanders in the Saddam-era Iraqi military.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2012 - 4:07PM #12
MMarcoe
Posts: 16,892

Interesting blog posts.


So the mayor's big property tax increase would have brought in a mere pittance.


 

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2012 - 4:15PM #13
Erey
Posts: 18,940

Jul 10, 2012 -- 3:27PM, Find1Answer wrote:


Jul 10, 2012 -- 1:45PM, Mlyons619 wrote:


I have no problem with this...


That is, IF Scranton's employment standards for police, fire, clerical, is now to be that of a mall cop or unskilled janitorial workers.


This is a GREAT opportunity to employ teens for summer help, and to get high school dropouts, and the unskilled homeless working.


Of course, if Scranton has any expectations of hiring or retaining highly skilled, highly qualified candidates, then their expectations have no basis in any reality, and they should not be at all surprised if the quality of their workforce takes a significant nosedive. 


But I'm sure that the Scranton taxpayers will appreciate getting their public services so cheaply and will have no problems with this at all...




got nothing to do with whether Scranton feels their cops are only worth minimum wage or you get what you pay for.    Scranton is broke.   this action will continue service for a few months before their unfunded liabilities and unpaid bills come due.


    scrantonisbroke.blogspot.com/


Here is an interesting blog from a citizen who has taken the time and expertise to explore Scranton's budget woes.      If you keep clicking on older posts you will get an eyeful. 




You seem to have explored this more thouroughly do you think some of the woes are over unsustainable public union arrangements?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2012 - 4:38PM #14
Hatman
Posts: 9,634
The first thing that Scranton employees should do is to demand to see the CAFR for Pennsylvania.

With goodwill to all the People(save scumsucking oathbreakers)-

Hatman
"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2012 - 7:19PM #15
Bodean
Posts: 9,590

Jul 10, 2012 -- 4:15PM, Erey wrote:


You seem to have explored this more thouroughly do you think some of the woes are over unsustainable public union arrangements?





Uh-Oh .....


Here comes another Union Battle ... where the People say they've finally had enough of over paid public servants with lavish pensions and healthcare ...and the Union [and leftist abroad] scream "it's our right to have all of your money".


Paging Scott Walker ... Scott Walker ... Mr Walker, your assistance is needed in PA.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2012 - 7:23PM #16
Find1Answer
Posts: 7,287

Jul 10, 2012 -- 4:15PM, Erey wrote:

Jul 10, 2012 -- 3:27PM, Find1Answer wrote:


Jul 10, 2012 -- 1:45PM, Mlyons619 wrote:


I have no problem with this...


That is, IF Scranton's employment standards for police, fire, clerical, is now to be that of a mall cop or unskilled janitorial workers.


This is a GREAT opportunity to employ teens for summer help, and to get high school dropouts, and the unskilled homeless working.


Of course, if Scranton has any expectations of hiring or retaining highly skilled, highly qualified candidates, then their expectations have no basis in any reality, and they should not be at all surprised if the quality of their workforce takes a significant nosedive. 


But I'm sure that the Scranton taxpayers will appreciate getting their public services so cheaply and will have no problems with this at all...




got nothing to do with whether Scranton feels their cops are only worth minimum wage or you get what you pay for.    Scranton is broke.   this action will continue service for a few months before their unfunded liabilities and unpaid bills come due.


    scrantonisbroke.blogspot.com/


Here is an interesting blog from a citizen who has taken the time and expertise to explore Scranton's budget woes.      If you keep clicking on older posts you will get an eyeful. 




You seem to have explored this more thouroughly do you think some of the woes are over unsustainable public union arrangements?


I don't really understand unfunded public union arrangements.      It could be the liabilities are unsustainable but the unfunded part confounds me.     Why did they not set aside the retirement and insurance premiums as they occured?    Was the system unsustainable way back then,  if so why did they not change it up then.     But letting liabilities run up in case of a sunny day is foolish.   If you look at the blog the author has questions about the outsized legal fees appropriated as well as other costs and liabilities.   I guess the stand off between the council and the mayor was the mayor wanted a tax increase and the council wanted to restructure and borrow again.   The council did not borrow and now Scranton is on the ropes.


It also states the city has unfunded workers compensation claims.   I don't understand this either,  does the city own it's own worker compensation plan?   Is the city in the business of running it's own fund?     and where did the worker compensation premiums get paid to?      


Seems to me that many were gliding and not fixing any unsustainable liabilities and when revenue dropped due to the recession they realized they had a problem.   The city is paying alot of interest aside from bonds.   

Bush's "de-Bathification program" eliminated all vestiges of Sunni power in Iraqi society and set the stage for the Sunni insurrection against American occupation and the new Shiite-led government. Bush disbanded the entire Sunni-dominated Iraqi Army and bureaucracy. He didn't change it. He didn't make it more inclusive of Shiites and Kurds. He just disbanded it. It is no accident that two of the top commanders of today's ISIL are former commanders in the Saddam-era Iraqi military.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2012 - 7:34PM #17
Bodean
Posts: 9,590

Jul 10, 2012 -- 7:23PM, Find1Answer wrote:


Why did they not set aside the retirement and insurance premiums as they occured?





Because .. that is a conservative philosophy that never occurrs to Socialists.


S.S. is funded the same way.  As is Medicare/Medicaid ... as is just about everything in our liberal government.


They "pledge" 100 Billion dollars for X ... but then they don't have the money to pay for it.  It's called an "unfunded mandate".


Scranton PA overwhelmingly voted for Obama and his "Hope and Change".  LOL .. how's it working out for ya Scranton?? ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2012 - 7:39PM #18
amcolph
Posts: 17,691

Jul 10, 2012 -- 7:34PM, Bodean wrote:


Jul 10, 2012 -- 7:23PM, Find1Answer wrote:


Why did they not set aside the retirement and insurance premiums as they occured?





Because .. that is a conservative philosophy that never occurrs to Socialists.


 




I thought it was Conservative philosophy not to give that much to the working classes in the first place.


Why should you?  The rich can afford their own higher wage private security and fire services, and leave the rest of us with minimum wage cops and firemen.

This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2012 - 8:24PM #19
Bodean
Posts: 9,590

Jul 10, 2012 -- 7:39PM, amcolph wrote:


 


I thought it was Conservative philosophy not to give that much to the working classes in the first place.


Why should you?  The rich can afford their own higher wage private security and fire services, and leave the rest of us with minimum wage cops and firemen.




Absurdity gives way to insanity.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2012 - 8:27PM #20
aarroottoonn
Posts: 3,128

Jul 10, 2012 -- 2:23PM, amcolph wrote:


What about the mayor's salary? 




He also is getting minimum wage. All employees are. The city is broke. Period. But in PA a city can't declare bk unless the state says they can.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook