Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Huntsman Challenges party, will not attend GOP Convention
2 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2012 - 5:25PM #1
Druac
politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/06...

(CNN) – In an act of protest, Jon Huntsman will not attend the Republican national convention this August in Tampa.

The former Republican presidential hopeful, Utah governor and ambassador to China said in a statement that he won't participate in the convention or others in the future until his fellow conservatives start tackling the bigger issues.

Huntsman said that despite being asked repeatedly about his attendance, this year's convention will be the first he has not attended since serving as a delegate for Ronald Reagan in 1984.

"I will not be attending this year's convention, nor any Republican convention in the future, until the party focuses on a bigger, bolder, more confident future for the United States – a future based on problem solving, inclusiveness, and a willingness to address the trust deficit, which is every bit as corrosive as our fiscal and economic deficits," Huntsman said in a statement, reported first by the Salt Lake Tribune.

Huntsman is the first of Romney's former rivals from the Republican primaries to indicate they would not attend the convention. But a smattering of other Republicans have already indicated they will not be there.

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
---------------------------------------------
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2012 - 5:44PM #2
Jasr

Wow...I always liked that guy...now I know why.

A sane, practical, can-do Republican. A real collector's item nowadays.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2012 - 7:16PM #3
mecdukebec

A sane Republican, in a Party, gone nutzoid in and after Iraq.  He's going to have to wait a long time for another Sane Convention. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2012 - 7:53PM #4
aarroottoonn

Wow, liberals like liberal republicans. Huntsman makes Bush seem conservative by comparison. Anyway, I don't know anyone who cared what Huntsman was planning on doing for the convention, so I can attribute this piece to simple right wing bashing. Nonetheless, he won't be missed, now or in the future.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2012 - 7:54PM #5
Girlchristian

Huntsman was the candidate I wanted to win the primary. Good for him.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2012 - 8:02PM #6
Jasr

I would definitely have liked to see Huntsman as the Republican candidate, since he is a Republican I could have lived with if he won.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2012 - 8:03PM #7
Jasr

Jul 6, 2012 -- 7:53PM, aarroottoonn wrote:

Wow, liberals like liberal republicans. Huntsman makes Bush seem conservative by comparison.

What do you mean by this?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2012 - 8:11PM #8
aarroottoonn

Jul 6, 2012 -- 8:03PM, Jasr wrote:

Jul 6, 2012 -- 7:53PM, aarroottoonn wrote:

Wow, liberals like liberal republicans. Huntsman makes Bush seem conservative by comparison.

What do you mean by this?

The first sentence should be self explanitory, but I will rephrase.

Liberals love conservatives that attack other conservatives. They love Meagan McCain, Joe Scarborough, David Frum, etc, etc. If you claim to be part of the right, but only bash your side, you are good to go. So, if they are forced to deal with the right at all, liberals tend to prefer those that mirror themselves as much as possible. The equivalent opposite would be me saying how much I loved Zell Miller, and if the left just had 100 more of him, how much better they would be.

As to the second part, Huntsman is to the left of George Bush. Bush was no centrist, but he was a moderate republican, much like his father. I doubt you could find Bush saying that government is the problem, and with things like the Prescription Drug Care Bill, and No Child Left Behind, neither being a conservative position (and don't get me started on "compassionate conservativism") Bush showed he wasn't hard right, but moderate right.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2012 - 8:17PM #9
mecdukebec

Jul 6, 2012 -- 8:02PM, Jasr wrote:

I would definitely have liked to see Huntsman as the Republican candidate, since he is a Republican I could have lived with if he won.

Yes, but he speaks Mandarin, and he is not a Know-Nothing, and, as far as I know, he doesn't kow-tow to Rush. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2012 - 8:57PM #10
TENAC

Jul 6, 2012 -- 5:25PM, Druac wrote:

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/06...

(CNN) – In an act of protest, Jon Huntsman will not attend the Republican national convention this August in Tampa.

The former Republican presidential hopeful, Utah governor and ambassador to China said in a statement that he won't participate in the convention or others in the future until his fellow conservatives start tackling the bigger issues.

Huntsman said that despite being asked repeatedly about his attendance, this year's convention will be the first he has not attended since serving as a delegate for Ronald Reagan in 1984.

"I will not be attending this year's convention, nor any Republican convention in the future, until the party focuses on a bigger, bolder, more confident future for the United States – a future based on problem solving, inclusiveness, and a willingness to address the trust deficit, which is every bit as corrosive as our fiscal and economic deficits," Huntsman said in a statement, reported first by the Salt Lake Tribune.

Huntsman is the first of Romney's former rivals from the Republican primaries to indicate they would not attend the convention. But a smattering of other Republicans have already indicated they will not be there.

LOLOL....Jon who?!

Huntsman?

Who cares if HE's at the convention?! 

He has like a delegate?  Two?

Huntsman has no voice, no standing.  The fact that most of the Left finds him acceptable determines he shouldnt be the nominee.

Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook