Page 1 of 20  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Supreme Court upholds individual mandate
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 10:19AM #1
MMarcoe
Get ready to see your premiums climb even higher as a result of this. A captive market always leads to higher prices.

news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/supreme-cour...
There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 10:23AM #2
Girlchristian

I found this interesting:

The court ruled that the mandate is unconstitutional, but it can stay as part of Congress's power under a taxing clause. The court said that the government will be allowed to tax people for not having health insurance.

"The Affordable care act's requirement that certain individuals pay a financial penalty for not obtaining health insurance may reasonably characterized as a tax. Because the Constitution permits such a tax, it is not our role to forbid it, or to pass upon its wisdom or fairness," the court said in the ruling.

abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/supreme-cou...

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 10:24AM #3
Druac

LOL...CNN was reporting it was struck down...but just posted a correction:

"Correction: The Supreme Court backs all parts of President Obama's signature health care law."

Someone really screwed the pooch there! :)

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 10:38AM #4
Druac

news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/28/how-will-s...

Question: Is the requirement that people have health insurance - the so-called individual mandate - constitutional?

The court's answer: The mandate is constitutional, rendering moot further questions on the rest of the law.

Question: Can the federal government force states to expand their share of Medicaid costs and administration?

The court's answer: Yes, but the justices ruled that the federal government cannot remove existing Medicaid funding if the states choose not to participate in the new program.

[Updated at 10:26 a.m. ET] Because the individual mandate has been upheld, and is essentially the funding behind everything else, this can be seen in large part as a major victory for President Obama, CNN Supreme Court Producer Bill Mears said.

[George Carlin]
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 10:43AM #5
CharikIeia

Congratulations, America!

That was quick! Just 129 years and 1 month delay after Germany did it...

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 10:54AM #6
Nepenthe

Jun 28, 2012 -- 10:23AM, Girlchristian wrote:

I found this interesting:

The court ruled that the mandate is unconstitutional, but it can stay as part of Congress's power under a taxing clause. The court said that the government will be allowed to tax people for not having health insurance.

It is interesting since neither Obama nor the lower courts believed this.

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 10:54AM #7
mecdukebec

I understand the Court found the individual mandate as Constitutional due to its being a tax.

Beyond that, having interacted with Wingos in times past, I would be concerned with what the Right will do about this.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if fundagelical preachers this Sunday thunder down with sermons to "pray the Court home" (i.e. dead).    

The judiciary, not being an arm of the Church, is going to garner lots of hostility. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 10:56AM #8
Nepenthe

Well, I would have to say this puts to rest any notion of seeing single-payer health care within the next several decades. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 10:59AM #9
Druac

Jun 28, 2012 -- 10:56AM, Nepenthe wrote:

Well, I would have to say this puts to rest any notion of seeing single-payer health care within the next several decades. 

Agreed...but I couldn't see that happening in the current political environment, regardless.

[George Carlin]
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 11:04AM #10
Nepenthe

Jun 28, 2012 -- 10:59AM, Druac wrote:

Jun 28, 2012 -- 10:56AM, Nepenthe wrote:

Agreed...but I couldn't see that happening in the current political environment, regardless.

I would argue that it very well could have happened if anyone in the white house or upper levels of Congress actually fought for it, which they didn't.  Instead, people may now be 'taxed' if they do not hand their money over to private insurers, who are run by some very rich people who will be more than happy to become wealthier.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 20  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook