Page 20 of 20  •  Prev 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20
Switch to Forum Live View Supreme Court upholds individual mandate
2 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2012 - 3:40PM #191
REteach

I am normal weight.  Last month I went to a continuing education program on obesity. It is much easier to say "lose weight" than to do it.  The take-home message I got was that susceptible people become obese in a toxic environment, and the only good way to lose it at that point is gastroplasty. Yes, a very few people lose weight and keep it off by exceptional diligence.  However, in research studies with personal trainers, most participants didn't get it off and keep it off.

It is so easy to assume "they deserve it" than to admit "I got lucky."  If I just got lucky, I am under more obligation than if I can assume the others are simply getting what they deserve. 

By definition, half of all people are below average in cognitive abilities--just how, exactly, are they suddenly supposed to get smarter? 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2012 - 3:54PM #192
mecdukebec

Jul 3, 2012 -- 3:07PM, Jasr wrote:

Jul 3, 2012 -- 12:00PM, Bodean wrote:

Jul 3, 2012 -- 9:33AM, Cesmom wrote:

In a perfect world, health insurance and healthcare would all be nonprofit.

Well Cesmom ...

You could say in a "perfect world" healthcare, food, energy, shelter, clothes, transportation, communication, etc ... would all be non-profit.

The only problem is, in your perfect world, little would exists, because there'd be no incentive to create new medicine, better energy, more efficient transportation, or communication.

Mediocrity would be "good enough" in a perfect world.

Bo, I strongly disagree.

New medicines are not developed because insurance companies can profit from health care without adding appropriate value. They are developed because they solve medical problems. New Medicines are purchased by public and non-profit health care systems just as they are purchased by private ones.

The province of Quebec is almost completely powered by the massive hydroelectric assets of Hydro Quebec. The Baie James project was developed under the auspices of Hydro Quebec, a corporation wherein the province retains a controlling interest.

Train travel in Europe is quite efficient, and far from mediocre.

The internet was originally a DARPA project.

The profit motive does not have to exist at every stage of economic activity. In fact, the profit motive adds considerable friction and waste in some situations...the best example being unregulated banking and health insurance.

Bombardier.

The massive biotech industry in Montréal.

CEGEPs, drivers of innovation...UQAM.....

Get to know the world outside of Slocumville, USA.   It couldn't hurt. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 20 of 20  •  Prev 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook