Switch to Forum Live View 10 Questions For One-Staters
2 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2012 - 1:50PM #1
rocketjsquirell
I came accross this and thought, you know, this would make a great discussion. To all supporters of the so called 1 State Solution please provide your answers to these 10 questions (and their subparts as listed in the article).

This should be interesting.

Questions For One-Staters
by Ziad J. Asali Jun 26, 2012 12:00 PM EDT

Supporters of the two-state solution are often told that this vision is unrealistic and has become unachievable. Young, idealistic seekers of justice and equality are increasingly offering what they claim is a more "realistic" solution: a single state for all Israelis and Palestinians, including refugees.

Here are ten questions that might help these single-staters think through the feasibility of the project they have in mind:

1- How do we negotiate, implement or impose a single state in “Israel-Palestine”?
. . .

2- Remembering that it is advocated by those Palestinians most opposed to Israel, what are the realistic prospects of gaining significant support for this idea among Jewish Israelis?
. . .

3- Should the Palestinian Authority disappear altogether? Would it be replaced by the Israeli bureaucracy or would the PA and the Knesset somehow merge, or be forced together by outside powers, and if so, how and by whom?
. . .

4- Would all citizens of this state become instantly equal before the law, with all rights and responsibilities of the citizen, without discrimination? Who will define these terms and implement them, and who will oversee the process?
. . .
5- Would the current educational systems be merged after the establishment of the single state?
. . .
6- Would the armed forces of this state result from a merger of the existing forces?
. . .
7- Would there be an affirmative action program to integrate the disadvantaged into various systems, public and private?
. .  .
8- Would land ownership revert to the status quo in 1948 and 1967? How would competing property claims be managed and by whom?
. . .
9- What would be the national symbols, holidays and anthems of this new state?
. . .
10- What would happen regarding the occupation and settlements while these questions remain unaddressed?
. .  .
full article:
www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/06/2...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 12:40PM #2
rocketjsquirell

I thought we had some people on this board who supported the so called "One State Solution." I guess I was wrong. Either that or they have repented. Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 11:01PM #3
Miraj

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm pretty busy out here in firetown.  I also have state end of fiscal year business to attend to.

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2012 - 9:45AM #4
rocketjsquirell

Miraj

I did not realize you were close to the fire. Please stay safe.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook