Switch to Forum Live View London 2012 Olympics: Saudis allow women to compete--BBC
2 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2012 - 3:10PM #1
BDboy
Now to get away from politics for a sec. Saudi Arabia decided to "Allow" women to compete in Olympics. King Abduallah has been working on reform against popular "Culture" of K.S.A.

London 2012 Olympics: Saudis allow women to compete

Saudi Arabia is to allow its women athletes to compete in the Olympics for the first time.

Officials say the country's Olympic Committee will "oversee participation of women athletes who can qualify".

The decision will end recent speculation as to whether the entire Saudi team could have been disqualified on grounds of gender discrimination.

The public participation of women in sport is still fiercely opposed by many Saudi religious conservatives.

There is almost no public tradition of women participating in sport in the country.

Saudi officials say that with the Games now just a few weeks away, the only female competitor at Olympic standard is showjumper Dalma Rushdi Malhas.

.......................Click here to read rest of the article.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2012 - 6:00PM #2
Merope

This is great news!  Thanks for posting this.  I'd thought the issue was closed because the entire IOC would have to meet to force the issue and they weren't scheduled to meet till after London and yada, yada, yada.  So glad I was wrong!

There will certainly be one equestrian to watch; hope she qualifies.  (I don't really follow the horse events, so I don't know whether the Saudi equestrian trials have been held, completed or what.)  She'll be, like, "KSA Velvet" Tongue Out  I love it!

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2012 - 6:14PM #3
Merope

This is the equestrian I'm talking about - Dalma Rushdi Malhas.

According to the linked article, she's the only Saudi female competitor expected at London 2012.  She competed at the Summer Youth Olympics in Singapore two years ago under the IOC flag.  She won a bronze at those Games and is considered "an outstanding prospect."   

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2012 - 7:35PM #4
rocketjsquirell

I hope she does well. Wouldn't it be great if she got the gold? Now that would be a wake up moment for the Saudis.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 10:58AM #5
BDboy

Jun 24, 2012 -- 7:35PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

I hope she does well. Wouldn't it be great if she got the gold? Now that would be a wake up moment for the Saudis.

>>>>>>>>> There is no doubt Saudis have a lot of opportunities in this area. At the same time, we have to remember the people who live in the country are not used to this. So the king is making slow progress and kept the country stable.

Saudi Abaria had only ONE school (Secular) in the whole country around 70 years ago. Today they have world class universities, world's largest petrochemical complex and couple of very large industrial complex.

I hope they keep opening up more opportunities for their citizens and be a good example for rest of the world.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2012 - 5:14AM #6
Merope

Bad news :-(  Malhas has, unfortunately, failed to qualify and won't compete, the International Equestrian Federation (FEI) said Monday.

"There have been some reports in the media, but regretfully the Saudi Arabian rider Dalma Rushdi Malhas has not attained the minimum eligibility standards and consequently will not be competing at the London 2012 Olympic Games," FEI Secretary General Ingmar De Vos said in a statement out of Lausanne.

Malhas, 20, had been aiming to achieve the minimum eligibility standard required for the Olympic Games by the June 17 deadline.  However, her horse was sidelined by injury and missed a month's work during the qualifying period.  Her 12-year-old Swedish mare Caramell KS, which was bought from Swedish rider Svante Johansson at the end of 2011, was found to be suffering from a back problem, putting an end to Malhas' hopes of competing in London.

However, Malhas has her sights set on Rio in 2016.

In other, non-Saudi, Olympic news, Qatar will send a three-woman team to London made up of shooter Bahia Al-Hamad, swimmer Nada Wafa Arakji, and Noor Al-Malki, a 100m and 200m sprinter.

Brunei will send a woman to London as part of its two-athlete delegation - 400m hurdler Maziah Mahusin.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2012 - 3:15PM #7
BDboy

Jun 26, 2012 -- 5:14AM, Merope wrote:

Bad news :-(  Malhas has, unfortunately, failed to qualify and won't compete, the International Equestrian Federation (FEI) said Monday.

"There have been some reports in the media, but regretfully the Saudi Arabian rider Dalma Rushdi Malhas has not attained the minimum eligibility standards and consequently will not be competing at the London 2012 Olympic Games," FEI Secretary General Ingmar De Vos said in a statement out of Lausanne.

Malhas, 20, had been aiming to achieve the minimum eligibility standard required for the Olympic Games by the June 17 deadline.  However, her horse was sidelined by injury and missed a month's work during the qualifying period.  Her 12-year-old Swedish mare Caramell KS, which was bought from Swedish rider Svante Johansson at the end of 2011, was found to be suffering from a back problem, putting an end to Malhas' hopes of competing in London.

However, Malhas has her sights set on Rio in 2016.

In other, non-Saudi, Olympic news, Qatar will send a three-woman team to London made up of shooter Bahia Al-Hamad, swimmer Nada Wafa Arakji, and Noor Al-Malki, a 100m and 200m sprinter.

Brunei will send a woman to London as part of its two-athlete delegation - 400m hurdler Maziah Mahusin.

>>>>>>>> Since we are talking about opportunities for women in this part of the world. It would be proper to remind readers that, some of the neighbors of Saudi Arabia have quite a few women in cabinet (Holding duty of ministies).

Wife of Qatar's amir is known for her interest in education.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2012 - 1:26PM #8
Roodog

I can see the Beach Volleyball:

Bikinis vs Burqas

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook