Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Morsi declared Egypt's new president
2 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2012 - 3:36PM #11
BDboy

Jun 27, 2012 -- 3:02PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

BDboy

Nope, just the guy who was introducing him. It would have been a great time for Morsi to say, "Our goal is a peaceful, successful Egypt and we have no designs on other lands" but, he did not.

The goal of the Brotherhood has not changed.

>>>>>>>> Well, do understand that people of Israel's neighbors do not share your love for Israel. As long this type of statement does not come from anyone with responsibilities, we can ignore them.

They waited around 70 years for this and I am going to study them a little more before I formulate an educated opinion of them.

So far Mursi started well. He want to address the people who opposed him in recent election and it is a good start. I hope he continue to use wisdom and fairness in his future steps. He said he will respect peace treaty with Israel as well.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2012 - 3:50PM #12
Shusha

As long this type of statement does not come from anyone with responsibilities, we can ignore them.

It was a call for martyrs to march on Jerusalem.  And it looked to me to be pretty enthusiastically received.  Are we to ignore the suicide bombers too, then?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2012 - 3:34PM #13
BDboy

Jun 27, 2012 -- 3:50PM, Shusha wrote:

As long this type of statement does not come from anyone with responsibilities, we can ignore them.

It was a call for martyrs to march on Jerusalem.  And it looked to me to be pretty enthusiastically received.  Are we to ignore the suicide bombers too, then?

>>>>>>> Nope.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2012 - 2:43PM #14
BDboy

Going back to the topic. Allow me to share the latest update on Egypt's march towards democracy...

Brotherhood's Mursi sworn in as Egyptian president

Field Marshal Tantawi shook the hand of the new Egyptian president after saluting him

Mohammed Mursi has been sworn in as Egypt's first civilian, democratically elected president at a historic ceremony in Cairo.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2012 - 3:18PM #15
rocketjsquirell

Just another way you can tell that the Muslim Brotherhood is unchanged and unrepentant. They want the US to release terrorists.

NY mayor opposes Morsi call to free 1993 World Trade Center bomb plotter
Bloomberg against any effort to ‘undermine’ Omar Abdel-Rahman serving a life sentence

full article:

www.timesofisrael.com/ny-mayor-opposes-m...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2012 - 8:58PM #16
KindredSai

Am I correct in thinking that there are some here who believe that Muslim nations cannot become democracies unless they have approval from Americans and Israelis?

I'm sorry but it doesn't work that way.

Instead of condemning the Muslim Brotherhood, who the Egyptians obviously want to see in some kind of power, we must ask the more pertinent question why do Muslim nations vote in parties such as Hamas and MB?

The answer lies in the heart of American and Israeli policy, i.e. intransigience.

If you don't want Muslims voting in these parties, change your foreign policy and strengthen the moderate position.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2012 - 9:50PM #17
rocketjsquirell

KS

The internal politics of any particular Arab country have little or nothing to do with the US or Israel or the policies of the US or Israel. The internal politics of Arab countries also do not include anything approaching moderation or moderate political parties. Good luck finding a "moderate". Neither of the final candidates for Egyptian President were moderates. Moderation was not on the menu.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2012 - 9:54PM #18
LeahOne

Jun 30, 2012 -- 8:58PM, KindredSai wrote:

Am I correct in thinking that there are some here who believe that Muslim nations cannot become democracies unless they have approval from Americans and Israelis?

Absolutely not.  So the rest of your post is moot. 

US foreign policy, like Israel's is properly predicated on what citizens feel is the nation's best interest.  If you don't think the Arab states should make policy decisions based on what the US wants, then how can you suggest we make decisions based on what parties in Arab states would prefer?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2012 - 12:45PM #19
rocketjsquirell

Peres shows the world how to be a class act.Smile (Chari, this is how you do it in international affairs)

Peres to Morsi: Israelis greatly respect the Egyptian people
President sends friendly letter of congratulations to his new Islamist counterpart, who was sworn in Saturday in Cairo

President Shimon Peres sent a letter of congratulations to his new Egyptian counterpart, reassuring him of Israel’s desire to maintain peaceful relations and telling him that all Israelis respect the Egyptian people.

Peres sent the letter to the Muslim Brotherhood’s Mohammed Morsi, who was sworn in Saturday as the Arab world’s first freely-elected Islamist leader, on Thursday afternoon. On Sunday, Peres’s office said it got confirmation that the letter had been received in Cairo.

“As someone who took part in the process that led to the signing of the peace agreement between your country and mine, I know that both Egypt and Israel see with utmost importance peace and stability in our region as something that serves the interests of all peoples of the region,” Peres wrote in the letter, which was written and signed in Arabic

. . .

full article:
www.timesofisrael.com/peres-to-morsi-all...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2012 - 2:36PM #20
BDboy

Jul 1, 2012 -- 12:45PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

Peres shows the world how to be a class act.Smile (Chari, this is how you do it in international affairs)

Peres to Morsi: Israelis greatly respect the Egyptian people
President sends friendly letter of congratulations to his new Islamist counterpart, who was sworn in Saturday in Cairo

President Shimon Peres sent a letter of congratulations to his new Egyptian counterpart, reassuring him of Israel’s desire to maintain peaceful relations and telling him that all Israelis respect the Egyptian people.

Peres sent the letter to the Muslim Brotherhood’s Mohammed Morsi, who was sworn in Saturday as the Arab world’s first freely-elected Islamist leader, on Thursday afternoon. On Sunday, Peres’s office said it got confirmation that the letter had been received in Cairo.

“As someone who took part in the process that led to the signing of the peace agreement between your country and mine, I know that both Egypt and Israel see with utmost importance peace and stability in our region as something that serves the interests of all peoples of the region,” Peres wrote in the letter, which was written and signed in Arabic

. . .

full article:
www.timesofisrael.com/peres-to-morsi-all...

>>>>>> good deal. Instead of starting with bitchin, Preres decided to act like a leader. I am glad he did this way. Mursi also shared his desire to be a leader of ALL Egyptians (Including those who opposed him).

Let us wish the best to all countries in the region. Hope they find a path to peaceful solutions.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook