Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next
Switch to Forum Live View THE BIASED REPORTING AWARD THREAD
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 1:14PM #1
rocketjsquirell

THE BIASED REPORTING THREAD 

Since there is just so much of it, I have decided to start a single thread for reports of biased and just plain bad reporting.

First up is the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting)

Oops! Canada TV Fails to Notice 400 Rocket Attacks
CBC News issues vague correction after it tells viewers there were no rocket attacks from Gaza in the past year.

Canada's CBC television issued an on-air apology Wednesday, a day after it misled its viewers by telling them that the recent Gazan rocket attacks on Israel were the first such attacks in a year's time.

In fact, 405 rockets have been fired at Israel from Gaza in the last 12 months (according to the Elder of Zion website), and 130 have been fired over the past month – most of them this week.
. . .

full article:
www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.asp...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 1:38PM #2
LeahOne

Having been interviewed - and misquoted! - by the network press a couple of times,  I know that even well-intentioned reporters can get important details wrong. 

However, I believe there's been a deterioration of the quality of news reporting in recent decades, as the line between 'news' and 'entertainment' has been ignored far too often.  Likewise, there's been a distressing tendency for reporters to confuse themselves with 'advocates' and do more editorializing than reporting.

We notice that in the PressTV and 'reporting' from such 'national news outlets' - there's always attribution of motives and reference to 'conspiracies' and 'plots' for which there is no actual documentation nor supporting evidence.  The SANA article on a wildfire in the Golan which I used was a shining example of such 'editorializing'.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 1:48PM #3
CharikIeia

Here's a link to a site known for very one-sided reporting: CLICK.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 3:14PM #4
browbeaten

Jun 22, 2012 -- 1:48PM, CharikIeia wrote:

MEMRI translates broadcasts from the Arab, Farsi, etc languages.  It is mostly concerned with what is said in Arabic that people, who don't speak the language, should know.  It obviously does not interpret all broadcasts, but only those that we would be "shocked" to hear.  Is that one-sided?  If the translation is accurate, is it one-sided?  Now, you can complain that they are selective in what they interpret and print, but that is not one-sided?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 4:11PM #5
CharikIeia

Jun 22, 2012 -- 3:14PM, browbeaten wrote:

Now, you can complain that they are selective in what they interpret and print, but that is not one-sided?

No? Why not?

If I portray a certain group only negatively, I create dangerous stereotypes.

How would that NOT be one-sided?

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 4:20PM #6
browbeaten

Jun 22, 2012 -- 4:11PM, CharikIeia wrote:

Now, you can complain that they are selective in what they interpret and print, but that is not one-sided?

No? Why not?

If they simply interpret was is being said and that portrays a certain group in a negative manner, well, it would seem that if the shoe fits...  You can't control what people say, you can only report what they are saying.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 5:36PM #7
BDboy

Jun 22, 2012 -- 1:48PM, CharikIeia wrote:

>>>>>> No kidding. :-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 5:39PM #8
Mlyons619

So what sites do you offer that translate Arabic/Islamic media that you do NOT consider "biased"?

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 5:43PM #9
BDboy

Jun 22, 2012 -- 4:20PM, browbeaten wrote:

Jun 22, 2012 -- 4:11PM, CharikIeia wrote:

No? Why not?

If they simply interpret was is being said and that portrays a certain group in a negative manner, well, it would seem that if the shoe fits...  You can't control what people say, you can only report what they are saying.

>>>>>>> If I ONLY collect pictures and stories of prostitution in Israel, it may overlook many positive aspects of Israeli community (Like science and research etc).

Memri website has been discussed. Memri is as good in commentary and honesty as Jewwatch.com in documenting positive contribution of Jewish population.

It seems many members still wish to support it. I say it is a free world, some people like distorted views.

Canadian media is not known to be anti-Jewish. But many folks see Haaretz and BBC as anti-Jewish.

I'll like to add that, current Israeli policy of human right abuse and land theft is genuinely working against Jewish people everywhere. If you want to fix something first, it should be the first priority.

Moderated by Merope on Jun 24, 2012 - 12:59PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 5:46PM #10
BDboy

Jun 22, 2012 -- 5:39PM, Mlyons619 wrote:

So what sites do you offer that translate Arabic/Islamic media that you do NOT consider "biased"?

>>>>>>> There are tons of news services (AP, Rauter, BBC, CBC, Arab news, bloomberg and many government run media) who do good most of the time.

You need not to read arab media only.

I read both arab and non-arab media to get views from all sides.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook