Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View America's third-world family values
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 11:08AM #1
Kwinters

It's time to do something about the lack of paid parental leave in the United States. Does anyone realize that this deprivation leaves us in the company of such under-developed countries as Papua New Guinea and Swaziland?

By Christina Caldwell

'As I look ahead to giving birth for the first time, I find myself, strangely, thinking about the new parents of Papua New Guinea.

And those of Swaziland.

And the United States.

For all of the differences in all our millions of lives we have one thing in common: Out of 181 countries studied by Harvard and McGill, we are the only three countries with no paid parental leave.

I currently work for an organization that is listed as, not one of, but the No. 1 business in the country for providing optimal employee benefits. So I was shocked to discover I had no paid parental leave.

Yes, I can take 12 weeks off, which I understand is way more than many parents get. But it's all unpaid....'

Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 11:11AM #2
Nepenthe

Yes, there is paid parental leave in the United States.  What there isn't is paid parental leave mandated by law with the violent backing of government.  But then, some of us still believe in the equal application of freedom.

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 11:21AM #3
Cesmom

Why on earth would someone think that paid parental leave should be mandated by the government?

See, there's this thing called 'family planning'...that is, you plan for your family.  If paid parental leave is a priority to you, then you work for a company that offers it (mine does...it's not that uncommon).  If you work for a company that doesn't offer paid parental leave, then maybe the hubby needs to take on a temporary part time job to keep the bills paid or you cut expenses.  You do whatever you need to do to make it work.  

Imagine the mom and pop company struggling to get by who now has to pay their employee for 6-12 weeks off in addition to hiring someone to replace her?  Not every company is in a realistic position to offer this benefit.  That's why, if it's important to you, you go work for a company that does offer it.

Edit:  Unpaid parental leave, however, should be mandated by the government.  A mother (or a father) should not have to fear losing their job when taking time off to have a child.  FMLA is a good thing.

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 11:58AM #4
Kwinters

Jun 22, 2012 -- 11:21AM, Cesmom wrote:

Why on earth would someone think that paid parental leave should be mandated by the government?

Actually the question is what is wrong with Americans that they let themselves be screwed over by the private sector?

Clearly paid parental leave has nothing to do with economic competitiveness, since Americans have a crappy economy AND no benefits, and the booming economies of the world all require paid parental leave.

If the GOP really valued families then paid parental leave would be law.

And it is dupes and tools who defend their own economic exploitation.

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 12:03PM #5
Kwinters

Jun 22, 2012 -- 11:11AM, Nepenthe wrote:

Yes, there is paid parental leave in the United States.  What there isn't is paid parental leave mandated by law with the violent backing of government.  But then, some of us still believe in the equal application of freedom.

Some people believe slavery is freedom, and that crushing families financially is the way to prosperity.

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 12:06PM #6
Kwinters

Paid Family Leave has been available as a legal right and/or governmental program for many years, in one form or another, in most countries – with the exceptions of the United States of America, Papua New Guinea and Swaziland.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paid_family_leave

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 12:07PM #7
amcolph

Jun 22, 2012 -- 11:58AM, Kwinters wrote:

Jun 22, 2012 -- 11:21AM, Cesmom wrote:

Actually the question is what is wrong with Americans that they let themselves be screwed over by the private sector?

Clearly paid parental leave has nothing to do with economic competitiveness, since Americans have a crappy economy AND no benefits, and the booming economies of the world all require paid parental leave.

If the GOP really valued families then paid parental leave would be law.

And it is dupes and tools who defend their own economic exploitation.

Well, all that money that the Conservatives pay over to the clergy of the Religious Right must be buying something.

This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 1:54PM #8
Roodog

Let's be reasonable:

If we have paid parental leave in this country, that would cut into the profits, corporate welfare and taxbreaks for the corporations and the uber rich.

We really can't have that, now can we?UndecidedUndecidedUndecidedUndecidedUndecided

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 1:58PM #9
Nepenthe

Jun 22, 2012 -- 12:03PM, Kwinters wrote:

Jun 22, 2012 -- 11:11AM, Nepenthe wrote:

Some people believe slavery is freedom, and that crushing families financially is the way to prosperity.

Slavery is slavery and is actually not at all freedom, regardless of what some people believe.  Using violence to force an organization to provide a service that it does not wish to provide is also not an equal application of freedom.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 2:00PM #10
Nepenthe

Jun 22, 2012 -- 1:54PM, Roodog wrote:

If we have paid parental leave in this country, that would cut into the profits, corporate welfare and taxbreaks for the corporations and the uber rich.

Yes, it would certainly do that, and it should be something that the working class embraces through unionization so that they can contract for better services and wages.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook