Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Straw Buyers Walking
2 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2012 - 8:17PM #1
voice-crying

Why would the ATF make it easy for gun dealers to illegally sell weapons to criminals?
Whose bright idea was that?
OK, I know it started in 2006 and it was called: wide receiver   
Later the name was changed to: fast and furious 
I also know that AG: Eric Holder stopped the practice.
What I don't understand is: who benefited from gun trafficing? Was it the NRA or was it the gun dealers...? It makes no sense!!! 

STRAW PURCHASES:

FEDERAL LAW PROHIBITS ANYONE PURCHASING A FIREARM FOR ANOTHER INDIVIDUAL WHO IS UNDER AGE OR NOT A RESIDENT OF ARIZONA, OR OTHERWISE PROHIBITED FROM POSSESSING A FIREARM. THIS IS TERMED A "STRAW PURCHASE", AND IS ILLEGAL UNDER FEDERAL AND STATE LAWS.

Moderated by Merope on Jun 22, 2012 - 10:07PM
"Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."Proverbs 18:21
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2012 - 9:08PM #2
Ed.W

Well their stated idea was that they would "track" these firearms and perhaps follow them to the "big guys" in the drug cartels. 

But all the testimony has been that there never was any way to track the weapons once they went across the border.

No one can imagine how they intended on tracking them.

By the time a couple of U. S. agents ended up dead and the guns used to kill them were some of these walked guns, I think nearly 2000 guns had been walked across the border.

Your guess is as good as mine what they were doing.

Since the NRA is getting a blackeye from this I thought LaPierre may be motivated to tell the story without sugar-coating.  (6 minutes)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKqbGZ8hmJI

It could be as simple as what Limbaugh said:

“The whole point of Fast and Furious was to create mayhem in Mexico among drug cartels with American-made weapons easily procured so that you and I would stand up in outrage and demand tighter gun laws,” Limbaugh said.

“It would be no different than if they wanted to ban airplanes, to engineer a bunch of crashes,” he continued, providing an analogy. “If this bunch wanted all airplanes grounded, [they] sabotage a bunch so they crash, and the people [of] the country demand that all airplanes be grounded.  They wanted these guns that were used in these crimes to come from America. They made it easy for the drug cartels to get American guns.”

And given that the reaction from congressional democrats is to lobby for stricter gun laws (rather than call the ATF on the carpet), he may be right.

‘Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.’ --Lao Tzu
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2012 - 10:10PM #3
voice-crying

Jun 20, 2012 -- 9:08PM, Ed.W wrote:

Well their stated idea was that they would "track" these firearms and perhaps follow them to the "big guys" in the drug cartels. 

But all the testimony has been that there never was any way to track the weapons once they went across the border.

No one can imagine how they intended on tracking them.

By the time a couple of U. S. agents ended up dead and the guns used to kill them were some of these walked guns, I think nearly 2000 guns had been walked across the border.

Your guess is as good as mine what they were doing.

Since the NRA is getting a blackeye from this I thought LaPierre may be motivated to tell the story without sugar-coating.  (6 minutes)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKqbGZ8hmJI

It could be as simple as what Limbaugh said:

“The whole point of Fast and Furious was to create mayhem in Mexico among drug cartels with American-made weapons easily procured so that you and I would stand up in outrage and demand tighter gun laws,” Limbaugh said.

“It would be no different than if they wanted to ban airplanes, to engineer a bunch of crashes,” he continued, providing an analogy. “If this bunch wanted all airplanes grounded, [they] sabotage a bunch so they crash, and the people [of] the country demand that all airplanes be grounded.  They wanted these guns that were used in these crimes to come from America. They made it easy for the drug cartels to get American guns.”

And given that the reaction from congressional democrats is to lobby for stricter gun laws (rather than call the ATF on the carpet), he may be right.

I just heard (a few minutes ago) that Mike Vanderboegh brainwashed the right into thinking that President Obama is against the 2nd amendment and that's why the republicans are trying to destroy Eric Holder over this gunrunner project, that he nor the President had anything to do with (it was there when they got there; Holder got rid of it).

I'd really like to know who decided to break the law by allowing guns to get into the hands of the cartel.

[The] they were trying to get to the big guy excuse isn't working because...every time a "big guy" was gunned down another guy took his place. That gunwalking trick helped the gun sellers and the NRA; and, it was probably paid for by tax payers. Only the ATF can tell us who paid the tab!!! (Who bought the guns?)      

"Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."Proverbs 18:21
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2012 - 10:39PM #4
Bodean

Jun 20, 2012 -- 8:17PM, voice-crying wrote:

Why would the ATF make it easy for gun dealers to illegally sell weapons to criminals?
What I don't understand is: who benefited from gun trafficing? Was it the NRA or was it the gun dealers...? It makes no sense!!!   

STRAW PURCHASES:

FEDERAL LAW PROHIBITS ANYONE PURCHASING A FIREARM FOR ANOTHER INDIVIDUAL WHO IS UNDER AGE OR NOT A RESIDENT OF ARIZONA, OR OTHERWISE PROHIBITED FROM POSSESSING A FIREARM. THIS IS TERMED A "STRAW PURCHASE", AND IS ILLEGAL UNDER FEDERAL AND STATE LAWS.

VC ... the simple fact remains.  ALL the guns that got out of control were sold under Obama oversight.  Not a single gun used was from the previous effort ... probably because it was sincere.

Think what you like about "brainwashing" the right.  It's not that Obama is anti-gun ... as much as it is Democrats in general, and Obama is a puppet for the Leftist regime.

I not going to say I agree with Limbaugh ... but given how the Democrats manipulate just about everything they touch, ... a would be suprised.

The bottom line .... Holder, as an officer of the US Constitution, and answerable to the people and charged with upholding "truth" ... should have in the interests of discovery handed over the requested documents without pause.  The fact that he didn't leaves the window open for all kinds of speculation ... a characteristic that has become "common" with this administration.

It could just as easily be a "bait" ... to get Republicans "speculating" so that they can release the documents later to throw a few eggs at them. ... which is no more ethical that if they were trying to manipulate public sentiment.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 9:23AM #5
voice-crying

Jun 20, 2012 -- 10:39PM, Bodean wrote:

STRAW PURCHASES:

VC ... the simple fact remains.  ALL the guns that got out of control were sold under Obama oversight.  Not a single gun used was from the previous effort ... probably because it was sincere.

Think what you like about "brainwashing" the right.  It's not that Obama is anti-gun ... as much as it is Democrats in general, and Obama is a puppet for the Leftist regime.

I not going to say I agree with Limbaugh ... but given how the Democrats manipulate just about everything they touch, ... a would be suprised.

The bottom line .... Holder, as an officer of the US Constitution, and answerable to the people and charged with upholding "truth" ... should have in the interests of discovery handed over the requested documents without pause.  The fact that he didn't leaves the window open for all kinds of speculation ... a characteristic that has become "common" with this administration.

It could just as easily be a "bait" ... to get Republicans "speculating" so that they can release the documents later to throw a few eggs at them. ... which is no more ethical that if they were trying to manipulate public sentiment.

Didn't you find it strange that Darrell Issa did not want to get to the bottom of this gunwalking maratton? I still don't know whose bright idea it was to allow drug dealers to (illegally) buy guns from certan gun sellers in the USA (that's where any investigation should start).

[If it's true that three people die every hour from gun shout wounds]; why would anyone be sounding the alarm over the death of one human being (Bian Terry) who was killed in the line of duty? This whole thing is no more than a diverson. The NRA is using this administration to sell more guns to those who are fearful of losing the gun arsenals they're accumulating in their basements. What they don't know is that President Obama is not going to ever interfer with their 2nd amendment rights. [I would] if I were president because too many people die every second because of nuts with guns.

The democrats aren't dishonest. I respect them, but I have totally lost respect for those who appear to be the right wing cartel (they live in the pockets of the NRA).

It would cause WWIII, if President Obama says a word about the NRA's livelihood; the President knows that; he's a very intelligent caring man.

thehill.com/homenews/administration/1787...

www.allgov.com/Official/Melson__Kenneth

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_th...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 9:33AM #6
Bodean

Jun 21, 2012 -- 9:23AM, voice-crying wrote:

STRAW PURCHASES:

Didn't you find it strange that Darrell Issa did not want to get to the bottom of this gunwalking maratton? I still don't know whose bright idea it was to allow drug dealers to (illegally) buy guns from certan gun sellers in the USA (that's where any investigation should start).

[If it's true that three people die every hour from gun shout wounds]; why would anyone be sounding the alarm over the death of one human being (Bian Terry) who was killed in the line of duty? This whole thing is no more than a diverson. The NRA is using this administration to sell more guns to those who are fearful of losing the gun arsenals they're accumulating in their basements. What they don't know is that President Obama is not going to ever interfer with their 2nd amendment rights. [I would] if I were president because too many people die every second because of nuts with guns.

The democrats aren't dishonest. I respect them, but I have totally lost respect for those who appear to be the right wing cartel (they live in the pockets of the NRA).

It would cause WWIII, if President Obama says a word about the NRA's livelihood; the President knows that; he's a very intelligent caring man.

Well .. there ya have it.  You and I will agree to disagree, because I see NOTHING honest about this administration.  Nothing at all.

It probably comes down to the fact that you support his positions, and thus the means justifies the end, whereas you hated Bush, and thus are falsely trying to saddle this on him.

Fact remains, no guns under Bush killed any border agents that I'm aware of.  I see the merit in the program as a tracking program.  Obama forgot to do the tracking. ... either due to incompetence, or on purpose.  [neither answer is a positive].

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 10:32AM #7
voice-crying

Jun 21, 2012 -- 9:33AM, Bodean wrote:

Jun 21, 2012 -- 9:23AM, voice-crying wrote:

STRAW PURCHASES:

Well .. there ya have it.  You and I will agree to disagree, because I see NOTHING honest about this administration.  Nothing at all.

It probably comes down to the fact that you support his positions, and thus the means justifies the end, whereas you hated Bush, and thus are falsely trying to saddle this on him.

Fact remains, no guns under Bush killed any border agents that I'm aware of.  I see the merit in the program as a tracking program.  Obama forgot to do the tracking. ... either due to incompetence, or on purpose.  [neither answer is a positive].

I don't hold what you just said against you because you had no way of knowing that I voted for GWB twice and that I was a republican until last year (although I voted for Obama in 2008 and will vote for him again this year). I was fooled by GWB, I won't let that happen again.

Also, we have no way of knowing that: "no guns under Bush killed any border agents." What we know is that two AK-47's were found near the scene where patrol agent Brian Terry was found dead (along with about 40 Mexicans).   

During the 1980s War on Drugs, BORTAC worked with the Drug Enforcement Administration conducting counter narcotics operations in South America during Operation Snow Cap.[citation needed]

In April 2000, the BORTAC conducted Operation “Reunion,” in which it executed a raid on a home in Miami, Florida, and safely returned Cuban refugee Elian Gonzalez to his family in Cuba.[citation needed]

Following the World Trade Center Attack in September 2001, BORTAC personnel were sent to high-risk areas around the country to help secure against future attacks.[citation needed]

In 2002, BORTAC worked jointly with the United States Secret Service securing sports venues at the Salt Lake City Winter Olympic Games.[citation needed]

Recent natural disasters have vaulted BORTAC personnel into tactical relief operations (TRO) by providing hurricane relief aid to Gulf Coast residents and law enforcement support to law enforcement agencies affected by Hurricane Katrina.[citation needed]

In December 2010, a BORTAC agent was killed while pursuing members of a gang that operated along the border of Mexico and Arizona.[3]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BORTAC

BORTAC

Heckler and Koch (Theodor Koch)

HK has been accused of shipping small arms to conflict regions such as Bosnia[16] and Nepal,[17] and has licensed its weapons for production by governments with poor human rights records such as Sudan, Thailand and Burma.[18] It has been argued that the company effectively evaded EU export restrictions when these licensees sold HK weapons to conflict zones including Indonesia,[19] Sri Lanka[20] and Sierra Leone.[21]

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 6:50PM #8
voice-crying

OK, getting closer to the truth...maybe.

But...I'm still waiting for someone to explain why two weapons just happened to be left at the scene (to be used at this time as a diversion). I guess the 40 other people who were killed didn't have guns; sooooo, at least one walking gun was either found or planted.   

I'd rather be talking about passing laws to put people back to work!!!

Nothing to see here, Congress! Get back to workSurprised

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 9:28AM #9
Bodean

Jun 21, 2012 -- 6:50PM, voice-crying wrote:

But...I'm still waiting for someone to explain why two weapons just happened to be left at the scene (to be used at this time as a diversion). I guess the 40 other people who were killed didn't have guns; sooooo, at least one walking gun was either found or planted.   

I think they can multitask just fine.

It's no small issue when your government is lying.  Nixon got impeached because he lied about something as trivial as having knowledge about the breakin of the DNC [yeah .. that's a national catastrophy].

What puzzle's me still ... is that with Wide Receiver, under Bush, the guns were sold from one location and actually tracked, and the operations involved small numbers of guns.  Under Fast and Furious, they were sold from multiple locations and lost.  Gratned, as noted in Wiki's depiction of it all, the Mexican Government was mostly at fault in losing the guns.

Your accusations against Issa are false.  As noted ......

"After hearing of the incident [Terry's death], Agent Dodson reached out to ATF headquarters, ATF's chief counsel, the ATF ethics section and the Justice Department's Office of the Inspector General, none of whom immediately responded. He and other agents then contacted Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa (R–IA), ranking member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, who would become a major figure in the investigation of "gunwalking." At the same time, information began leaking to various bloggers and Web sites"

Issa didn't get involved in this thing until Holder started stumping his toe on this issue.  What I find really troubling, is that you, a US Citizen, are more interested in bashing a poltical opponent than getting to the bottom of the truth of what went wrong on this operation.  You'd rather exonerate Holder for obstructing justice, than get to the bottom of the real issue.

And then you ask what's wrong with this country??  Well, there ya have it.  Apparently, in your mind, Socialized Medicine, Killing the Oil Insustry, a vendetta against the rich, and all other departments of Leftist Thinking is more important than having a "Truthful Government" that is sincere in its representation of the People.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 3:32PM #10
voice-crying

Jun 22, 2012 -- 9:28AM, Bodean wrote:

Jun 21, 2012 -- 6:50PM, voice-crying wrote:

I think they can multitask just fine.

Apparently not, they're not voting to help the economy.

It's no small issue when your government is lying.

How do we know that the government is lying? 

Nixon got impeached because he lied about something as trivial as having knowledge about the breakin of the DNC [yeah .. that's a national catastrophy].

Based on what I heard a few days ago...Nixon was a crook from way back. 

What puzzle's me still ... is that with Wide Receiver, under Bush, the guns were sold from one location and actually tracked, and the operations involved small numbers of guns.  Under Fast and Furious, they were sold from multiple locations and lost.  Gratned, as noted in Wiki's depiction of it all, the Mexican Government was mostly at fault in losing the guns.

I don't know but I have a feeling that nothing changed but the name: Wide Receiver-Fast and Furious. If I had to guess (and I do) the whole thing was started to support gun dealers using government funds. No one can declare that guns were lost just because they haven't turned up in gun battles.  

Your accusations against Issa are false.

My accusations are what I say not what someone else says.

As noted ......

"After hearing of the incident [Terry's death], Agent Dodson reached out to ATF headquarters, ATF's chief counsel, the ATF ethics section and the Justice Department's Office of the Inspector General, none of whom immediately responded. He and other agents then contacted Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa (R–IA), ranking member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, who would become a major figure in the investigation of "gunwalking." At the same time, information began leaking to various bloggers and Web sites"

Issa didn't get involved in this thing until Holder started stumping his toe on this issue.  What I find really troubling, is that you, a US Citizen, are more interested in bashing a poltical opponent than getting to the bottom of the truth of what went wrong on this operation.  You'd rather exonerate Holder for obstructing justice, than get to the bottom of the real issue.

And then you ask what's wrong with this country??  Well, there ya have it.  Apparently, in your mind, Socialized Medicine, Killing the Oil Insustry, a vendetta against the rich, and all other departments of Leftist Thinking is more important than having a "Truthful Government" that is sincere in its representation of the People.

"this operation"  is not the full story it is only a tiny piece of the puzzle.
I'd like to know who, what and why anyone who calls themselves a leader
in our country could think that gunwalking was a good idea. We knew exactly
where the drug dealers were (along the border) we didn't need to supply
them with guns.  

I didn't know that Issa was a crook until...I think it was a day or two ago
(but just because someone says he's a crook doesn't make it so). They
were laughing at the fact that someone with his lack of character would
have the nerve to call anybody on the carpet.  They gave cases and dates...
I haven't looked it up. It's all going to come out.

Also, common sense tells us that the AG can't let us know everything 
they are doing in order to bring crooks to justice.
Moderated by Merope on Jun 22, 2012 - 10:03PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook