Switch to Forum Live View Most Corrupt States? Least Corrupt States?
2 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2012 - 8:04PM #1
Druac
I found this article interesting...I first found it on FoxNews.com:

From the study...it looks to me like most of the top "Most Corrupt" states are Red states and most of the "Least Corrupt" states are Blue states.

Top Corrupt States:

Michigan
North Dakota
South Carolina
Maine
Virginia
Wyoming
South Dakota
Georgia

Top Scorers (Least Corrupt)

Nebraska
California
Washington
Connecticut
New Jersey

247wallst.com/2012/03/22/americas-most-c...

Makes you wonder a little about the whole right's push for states rights and a weaker centeral government. :)

Then again, it could mean nothing....but still interesting.

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2012 - 8:12PM #2
loveontheair

Hello,

I found it interesting as well. Hoorah for NE. That was no surprise.

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2012 - 8:20PM #3
voice-crying

I wonder why fox would give an honest assessment?

"Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."Proverbs 18:21
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2012 - 11:13PM #4
Bodean

Ah yes ... yet "another" thread putting up suspect numbers put together by a Liberal Study to frame "Red States" to be bad, and Blue States to be good.

Problems I have with this ....

1) It ranks the existence of an "ethics agency" as part of the grade.  No suprise, ALL of the top five best get good grades on this aspect with the top ranked having a "A".

2) It is a "snap shot" in recent time.  Though I'll give it credit that it does mention the corrupt reputation of the "top spots".

Guess we can file this one right along with those other liberal studies that show Conservatives to be knuckle draggin, retarded, corrupt, hateful, bigoted degenerates.

But .. I guess if it makes you feel good about yourself ... so be it. [rolls eyes]

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 1:05PM #5
Girlchristian

The study is based on protection measures put into place that would prevent corruption. According to the link:

Surprisingly, most of the states that received high marks have big governments with long histories of corruption and political machinery. Connecticut and California fit this description. New Jersey, where it seems former and current officials are indicted every year on ethics charges, received the highest grade in the country. Despite its colorful political past and present, New Jersey received a perfect score in areas such as lobbying disclosure and internal auditing. According to the report, the reason states with historical problems with corruption now have high accountability scores is precisely because of their former offenses. Those past problems led to strict enforcement measures that have kept politicians honest and information readily available.

Many of the states with the worst corruption scores have not had the same public issues with corruption that trigger reform. These states, according to the report, are among the most sparsely populated in the country. Reporters sent to conduct research for the State Integrity Investigation found these smaller populations lead to a relaxed, “everybody-knows-everybody” attitude. This environment leads to a lack of reporting by elected officials, a look-the-other-way approach regarding campaign finance and lobbying, and an underfunding (or nonexistence) of political oversight groups.

So the blue states that scored high did so because they have a history of corruption that forced them to put protective measures in place; whereas, the states that scored worse havent yet had that issue and therefore haven't put protective measues in place.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 2:46PM #6
Jasr

Jun 21, 2012 -- 1:05PM, Girlchristian wrote:

So the blue states that scored high did so because they have a history of corruption that forced them to put protective measures in place; whereas, the states that scored worse havent yet had that issue and therefore haven't put protective measues in place.

That about sums it up. The presence of Maine and the Dakotas on the list makes the study immediately suspect.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 11:14AM #7
drawout

Jun 20, 2012 -- 11:13PM, Bodean wrote:

Guess we can file this one right along with those other liberal studies that show Conservatives to be knuckle draggin, retarded, corrupt, hateful, bigoted degenerates.

But .. I guess if it makes you feel good about yourself ... so be it. [rolls eyes]

so you consider Fox and theWall Street Journal  to be liberal sites?

'When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.' - Mark Twain
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 11:17AM #8
Cesmom

Jun 20, 2012 -- 8:12PM, loveontheair wrote:

Hello,

I found it interesting as well. Hoorah for NE. That was no surprise.

love

I second that Hoorah!

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 4:37PM #9
Find1Answer

I see that Utah is not mentioned.   prolly in a class of it's own

Bush's "de-Bathification program" eliminated all vestiges of Sunni power in Iraqi society and set the stage for the Sunni insurrection against American occupation and the new Shiite-led government. Bush disbanded the entire Sunni-dominated Iraqi Army and bureaucracy. He didn't change it. He didn't make it more inclusive of Shiites and Kurds. He just disbanded it. It is no accident that two of the top commanders of today's ISIL are former commanders in the Saddam-era Iraqi military.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook