Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
Switch to Forum Live View Christians call to end the U.S.-backed Israeli occupation
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 7:43PM #31
Miraj

Jun 22, 2012 -- 9:36AM, ted08721 wrote:

Jun 22, 2012 -- 9:02AM, habesor wrote:

Ted,

Matti Peled was a powerful witness for peace. The Palestinians with whom he negotiated were not only powerful witnesses for peace but a good deal braver that Miko. Unfortunately you can't go see them unless you visit their graves as they were assassinated by other Palestinians who did not share their views on peace and reconciliation.

Ted, over here we live in the real world. Someone pontificating about peace from the safety of the USA  will be given a hearing but his words will not be taken very seriously. If you want to meet some serious Israeli and Arab witnesses for peace, you might want to talk to some of the people in the Parents Circle-Families Forum. 

Habesor

There are always people on both sides of the fence that do not want to live in peace for various reasons but I believe the majority of people are good regardless of race or religion.
While I have never have had the oppotunity to travel to the Middle East I have friends that have and have stayed with families throughout the region, some of these people even stayed in the homes of the Iraqis while U.S. bombs fell, they all seem to paint a different picture than the one you paint, I guess it all depends on which side of the town you live in, some have electric, running water, stores and schools while others don't.

That makes a lot of sense.  I was watching news of a violent attack on resort in Afghanistan today.  I thought WTH?  There are still resorts in Afghanistan?!  

I'm sure the folks who've been frequenting Afghan resorts have a different view of life there than those who live in huts and are ruled by the Taliban.

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 11:17PM #32
habesor

Ted, you wrote:

"There are always people on both sides of the fence that do not want to live in peace for various reasons but I believe the majority of people are good regardless of race or religion." 

Although I have no scientific evidence to support the above opinion, most people who I have met over here lead me to agree with the your statement. However, though there are some truly good and brave people whose humanitarian motivations result in some incredible accomplishments, I have come across many interlocutors on various forums arguing the pros and cons of the Arab-Israeli conflict, who prefer to maintain a certain level of ignorance about events so that they can camouflage their own personal hatreds and prejudices behind supposedly humanitarian and moral values.

Habesor  

Habesor
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 1:29PM #33
BDboy

Jun 19, 2012 -- 11:19PM, rangerken wrote:

A lot of Christians, the large majority of us I believe, support Israel Ted, and damn well do NOT support the Palestinians, and won't as long as they allow Hamas to exist among them.

Ken

>>>>>>>> Hamas and Al-quida were supported by many countries including Israel during 80's. Today Hamas is only popular in Gaza. Which is a tiny patch of land (Probably the state of Texas has single firms larger than Gaza!).

I think to make Hamas ineffective, it is easier to simply attack to their preassure points. Which is the occupation and daily humaliation of non-Jewish native civilians.

People in the west Bank are supporting secular parties and just addressing basic needs to Gazan can solve most of the issues resulting in violence.

Since occupation, supporting hamas (Then attacking Hamas), blockade etc did not work in last 60+ years, let us try to seek an alternative way to address basic issues.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 6:05PM #34
LeahOne

BDBoy, your 'analysis is seriously flawed. 

For one thing, the '80's were over a long time ago - and what HAMAS has become now is its current "leadership's" responsibility, not anyone else's.  Unless you see Palestinians as unable to decide their actions forr rthemselves?

Second, the word 'occupation' as used by HAMAS refers to exactly the continued existance of any State of Israel, of any size, with any policies.  It does NOT mean 'the presence of Israeli nilitary in the WB' (it cannot mean 'the presence of Israeli military in Gaza, as there is none - except when the IAF responds to rocket attacks on Negev civilians).

As to this bit you keep repeating about 'nonJewish native population', not all the nonJews inside Israel are 'native' - and the majority of Jewish Israelis ARE 'native' or 'local'.   As to this 'daily hardship and humiliation' - again, it depends on what exactly is being defined as such.  And with HAMAS - well, they're liable to consider it an intolerable 'humiliation' that they are expected to ride the same buses and shop at the same stores as Jews do.  

It certainly does not appear that HAMAS is composed of people who are sensible or who want peaceful co-existance with Israel.  I know there are many Palestinians who look forward to such a thing, exactly as I do - but I very much doubt a single one is involved in HAMAS, PFLP, IJ, or any such group which has been shooting at Israeli school children day after day after day.

"We all have choices to make" - and day after day after day, HAMAS chooses to toss rockets at the Negev.

Let's put your cute little shoe on the other foot, BD:  The policy of trying to destroy the State of Israel by attacking with armies has failed the assorted Arab nations for over 60 years.  Maybe it's *they* who should try something new & different......

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2012 - 10:33AM #35
Dostojevsky

Quote:

'

"We all have choices to make" - and day after day after day, HAMAS chooses to toss rockets at the Negev.'

I have always wondered about Hamas rockets, what do they look like? How big, what are they made of how are they propelled into Israel.

Likewise about Israeli rockets.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2012 - 12:07PM #36
habesor

Dos,

For someone who makes all sorts of comments about this conflict, you don't seem to possess any knowledge even though it can be easily obtained on the internet. here are two sources, there are many more, which can answer your questions:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qassam_rocket 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BM-21_Grad 

Habesor

Habesor
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2012 - 12:19PM #37
LeahOne

From the first link above:

Palestinian reaction

The firing of Qassam rockets from the Gaza Strip into Israel has been opposed by those living closest to the firing location due to Israeli military responses. On July 23, 2004 a family attempted to physically prevent the Al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades from setting up a Qassam rocket launcher outside their house. Members of the brigade shot one member of the family, an Arab boy, and wounded 5 others.[17][18][19][20] In October 2010 five children and three women were injured after a Qassam rocket training site exploded near a crowded residential area of Tel As-Sultan in Rafah. Palestinian Center for Human Rights has condemned Hamas for storing explosive material near civilians. In August a similar explosion wounded 58 and destroyed seven houses.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 12:09PM #38
BDboy

Jun 23, 2012 -- 6:05PM, LeahOne wrote:

BDBoy, your 'analysis is seriously flawed. 

For one thing, the '80's were over a long time ago - and what HAMAS has become now is its current "leadership's" responsibility, not anyone else's.  Unless you see Palestinians as unable to decide their actions forr rthemselves?

>>>>>>>> I am NOT a fan of everything done by Hamas. However I do understand they are popular because Fatah is corrupt and Israel is still an occupier (Who controls lives of Gaza).

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook