Page 64 of 64  •  Prev 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64
Switch to Forum Live View Was America Always a Christian Nation?
12 hours ago  ::  May 23, 2015 - 12:57AM #631
El Cid

May 14, 2015 -- 5:11PM, TPaine wrote:

ec: Yes, the constitution plainly protects our rights due to its biblically influenced nature and foundation, but the SCOTUS erroneous interpretation is right now, for some of us, not protecting our First Amendment rights. The free exercise clause for example. Also, the SCOTUS has ruled that certain people are not fully human twice, the Dred Scott decision and Roe vs. Wade. It at least theoretically could rule another group not fully human, such as evil fundies.

tp: The Constitution is not biblically inspired. The vast majority of founders who participated in the Constitutional Convention were influenced by Enlightenment figures such as John Locke,

Several principles in the Constitution are derived from bibilcal teaching, such as human rights to name one, and there are others. Its foundation is the DOI which plainly has incorporated biblical principles. John Locke was probably a Christian, definitely believed in the Christian worldview, and definiitely derived many of his ideas from Christianity and the bible. Read his article on Tolerance, references Christian principles multiple times.

tp:Jean-Baptiste le Rond d'Alembert, Denis Diderot, Sir Francis Bacon,

Bacon was a Christian.

tp: Sir Isaac Newton,

Believed in the Christian worldview.

tp: Voltaire, Anthony Ashley Cooper, 3rd Earl of Shaftesbury, Charles-Louis de Secondat, Baron de La Brède et de Montesquieu,

Montesquieu was a Christian.

tp: and Alexander Pope, among many others. The problem with the Dred Scott decision was corrected by the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments.

Yes, because of the incorporation of the Christian principle that all humans are created equal.

tp:As for Roe v Wade a fetus is not considered a person until it would be viable outside the womb.

They never gave a rational basis for not considering a fetus a human person. Many people are dependent on others to live and yet are still considered human persons. They just arbitrarily ruled that they are not entitled to their right to life.

tp: Thomas Jefferson wrote: "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson: Notes on the State of Virginia, 1781-1783

Exactly, this too is a Christian principle, separation of church and state. Government has no role in forcing anyone to believe any certain religion.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 64 of 64  •  Prev 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook