Page 43 of 43  •  Prev 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43
Switch to Forum Live View Was America Always a Christian Nation?
1 week ago  ::  Jan 22, 2015 - 11:25AM #421
Do_unto_others

Copying & pasting Scripture isn't making an argument. It's called circular reasoning.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 days ago  ::  Jan 26, 2015 - 11:13PM #422
Roymond

Jun 17, 2012 -- 11:53PM, mountain_man wrote:

Jun 17, 2012 -- 10:53PM, MysticWanderer wrote:

... Native Americans pre-European Invasion were no better and no worse than the Europeans themselves.

Which was pretty much my point. No matter if they were violent or not that is no reason to kill them off.

The native societies varied greatly. Some of the greatest, and some of the last, warriors were from here in California where they all got along (for the most part) peacefully. There was plenty of food to go around and the living was easy. Hunting acorns instead of buffalo didn't make them weak.

Much of our government is patterned after the Iroquois League. They were not as violent as some would have us believe.

One of the places I'd want to go to if I could journey back in time would be to the early days of the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois name for themselves) League, and provide bits of technology to boost their status with other tribes, then work to extend the League to neighboring tribes.  I'd continue to provide more technology to keep extending their reach, so that when the Mayflower finally showed up they'd be facing technological equals in a 'nation' reaching from the Carolinas to Newfoundland to Hudson's Bay, around the Great Lakes, through Ohio and down to Tennessee.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 days ago  ::  Jan 27, 2015 - 11:22AM #423
amcolph

Jan 26, 2015 -- 11:13PM, Roymond wrote:

... Native Americans pre-European Invasion were no better and no worse than the Europeans themselves.

Which was pretty much my point. No matter if they were violent or not that is no reason to kill them off.

The native societies varied greatly. Some of the greatest, and some of the last, warriors were from here in California where they all got along (for the most part) peacefully. There was plenty of food to go around and the living was easy. Hunting acorns instead of buffalo didn't make them weak.

Much of our government is patterned after the Iroquois League. They were not as violent as some would have us believe.

One of the places I'd want to go to if I could journey back in time would be to the early days of the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois name for themselves) League, and provide bits of technology to boost their status with other tribes, then work to extend the League to neighboring tribes.  I'd continue to provide more technology to keep extending their reach, so that when the Mayflower finally showed up they'd be facing technological equals in a 'nation' reaching from the Carolinas to Newfoundland to Hudson's Bay, around the Great Lakes, through Ohio and down to Tennessee.

One of the difficulties you would have to contend with would be the infectious diseases--influenza, measles, smallpox--spread by pre-Columbian contact with Europeans which devastated native populations and disrupted their society.

This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 days ago  ::  Jan 27, 2015 - 1:47PM #424
Roymond

Jan 27, 2015 -- 11:22AM, amcolph wrote:

Jan 26, 2015 -- 11:13PM, Roymond wrote:

One of the difficulties you would have to contend with would be the infectious diseases--influenza, measles, smallpox--spread by pre-Columbian contact with Europeans which devastated native populations and disrupted their society.

I figure we'd have a welcoming committee for when the Spanish showed up, ambush them all and hold them prisoner.  Then when diseases popped up we'd make vaccines.  Laughing

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 43 of 43  •  Prev 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook