Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
2 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2012 - 11:21AM #21
teilhard

Motor Vehicles have the "VIN" located in several Places ... 

Right now, Firearms have only one Serial Number ...

Whatever ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2012 - 2:34PM #22
Stardove

Prior to the laws about background checks there was no registering guns in Texas. 

It takes longer to fill out the application to purchase a gun than for the sales person to put one's name, SS#, etc. into a computer and get the results.  If one is a law abiding citizen (in TX) a gun purchase could take about 15 minutes.  Took me longer to decide what weapon I wanted to purchase than to have the background check done.

In 1977 I inherited two hand guns and not knowing I called the state office to find out about changing the registrations and was told there was no registering guns in Texas. So today when purchasing a gun legally it is not registered with the state, but with the US Federal government. 

The FBI does the background checks, so I guess in reality the FBI keeps the serial number of the guns purchased legally today on file.  The FBI gets your fingerprints as part of a background check, if you apply for a concealed handgun license (CHL), but not when a gun is purchased.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

Anger cannot occur unless you believe that you have been attacked, that your attack is justified in return, and that you are in no way responsible for it. ACIM

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2012 - 3:00PM #23
teilhard

Infamously, Lee Harvey Oswald bought his Rifle by Mail-Order ...

I don't know, but I suspect that NO Firearms are now available by such "Catalog" Sales ...

Jun 16, 2012 -- 2:34PM, Stardove wrote:

Prior to the laws about background checks there was no registering guns in Texas. 

It takes longer to fill out the application to purchase a gun than for the sales person to put one's name, SS#, etc. into a computer and get the results.  If one is a law abiding citizen (in TX) a gun purchase could take about 15 minutes.  Took me longer to decide what weapon I wanted to purchase than to have the background check done.

In 1977 I inherited two hand guns and not knowing I called the state office to find out about changing the registrations and was told there was no registering guns in Texas. So today when purchasing a gun legally it is not registered with the state, but with the US Federal government. 

The FBI does the background checks, so I guess in reality the FBI keeps the serial number of the guns purchased legally today on file.  The FBI gets your fingerprints as part of a background check, if you apply for a concealed handgun license (CHL), but not when a gun is purchased.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2012 - 3:08PM #24
Stardove

Don't know how catalog sales of firearms would be handled for sure. 

When a firearm is purchase online legally the gun has to be shipped to a registered firearms dealer or a Federal Firearms License holder (FFL).  So a firearm can be purchased without having to go to a gun store or show.  So I would imagine catalog sales would be the same.

A background check would still be done for legal purchase of a firearm either way.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove

Anger cannot occur unless you believe that you have been attacked, that your attack is justified in return, and that you are in no way responsible for it. ACIM

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2012 - 3:00AM #25
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook