Post Reply
Page 5 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Why do they hate us?
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 10:54PM #41
teilhard
Posts: 51,386

Ah ... I figured as much ...


You were just blowing-off some Traditional Anti-American "Steam" ...


I "get" it ...


We Americans have heard this Kind of Stuff for a LONG Time ...


I comes with being a Global Imperial Power ...


Jun 13, 2012 -- 10:37PM, CharikIeia wrote:


Jun 13, 2012 -- 10:10PM, teilhard wrote:


***Specific Reference, please ... ???



I won't read the news to you, of the past decades.


Life is not as convenient as that.





Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2012 - 12:19AM #42
arielg
Posts: 9,116

Jun 13, 2012 -- 9:23PM, Mlyons619 wrote:


I don't much care WHY they did it, arielg.  The fact remains they still killed 3000 INNOCENT AMERICANS.  That's ALL the reason needed to turn the whole stinking country into a parking lot and leave the Afghan people to pick up the pieces.  That we didn't do so and instead tried to rebuild their trainwreck of a country was OUR mistake 




You should care, if you want to act rationally. There is something called "proportional response" to conflicts, which means  that the punishment of a certain crime should be in proportion to the severity of it.




Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2012 - 12:27AM #43
teilhard
Posts: 51,386

Yes ...


A NON-Proportional Response to 9-11-01 would have been to NUKE Tora Bora ...


We didn't ...


Instead, we overthrew The Taliban (Hosts and Sponsors of al Qaida) and BEGAN a convoluted Judicial-Military Process of going after al Qaida ...


Jun 14, 2012 -- 12:19AM, arielg wrote:


Jun 13, 2012 -- 9:23PM, Mlyons619 wrote:


I don't much care WHY they did it, arielg.  The fact remains they still killed 3000 INNOCENT AMERICANS.  That's ALL the reason needed to turn the whole stinking country into a parking lot and leave the Afghan people to pick up the pieces.  That we didn't do so and instead tried to rebuild their trainwreck of a country was OUR mistake 




You should care, if you want to act rationally. There is something called "proportional response" to conflicts, which means  that the punishment of a certain crime should be in proportion to the severity of it.








Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2012 - 4:21AM #44
CharikIeia
Posts: 8,301

Jun 13, 2012 -- 10:54PM, teilhard wrote:


Ah ... I figured as much ...


You were just blowing-off some Traditional Anti-American "Steam" ...


I "get" it ...


We Americans have heard this Kind of Stuff for a LONG Time ...


I comes with being a Global Imperial Power ...



Apparently might makes right. In ancient Rome as much as in your case. Maybe one needs to insulate oneself from universal ethical considerations to comfortably stay a "Global Imperial Power".


What would you think of an allied nation that passes a law in which the invasion of part of the USA is prepared?

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2012 - 7:43AM #45
amcolph
Posts: 17,669

Jun 14, 2012 -- 12:27AM, teilhard wrote:


Yes ...


A NON-Proportional Response to 9-11-01 would have been to NUKE Tora Bora ...


We didn't ...


Instead, we overthrew The Taliban (Hosts and Sponsors of al Qaida) and BEGAN a convoluted Judicial-Military Process of going after al Qaida ...



 




And invaded Iraq.

This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2012 - 7:52AM #46
teilhard
Posts: 51,386

No ...


But indeed, a Nation State DOES have Capacities to defend itself and its Citizens when they are attacked ...


Jun 14, 2012 -- 4:21AM, CharikIeia wrote:


Jun 13, 2012 -- 10:54PM, teilhard wrote:


Ah ... I figured as much ...


You were just blowing-off some Traditional Anti-American "Steam" ...


I "get" it ...


We Americans have heard this Kind of Stuff for a LONG Time ...


I comes with being a Global Imperial Power ...



Apparently might makes right. In ancient Rome as much as in your case. Maybe one needs to insulate oneself from universal ethical considerations to comfortably stay a "Global Imperial Power".


What would you think of an allied nation that passes a law in which the invasion of part of the USA is prepared?





Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2012 - 7:53AM #47
teilhard
Posts: 51,386

Obviously, Gulf Wars I and II were NOT in Response to 9-11-01 ...


Jun 14, 2012 -- 7:43AM, amcolph wrote:


Jun 14, 2012 -- 12:27AM, teilhard wrote:


Yes ...


A NON-Proportional Response to 9-11-01 would have been to NUKE Tora Bora ...


We didn't ...


Instead, we overthrew The Taliban (Hosts and Sponsors of al Qaida) and BEGAN a convoluted Judicial-Military Process of going after al Qaida ...



 




And invaded Iraq.





Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2012 - 8:11AM #48
amcolph
Posts: 17,669

Jun 14, 2012 -- 7:53AM, teilhard wrote:


Obviously, Gulf Wars I and II were NOT in Response to 9-11-01 ...


Jun 14, 2012 -- 7:43AM, amcolph wrote:


Jun 14, 2012 -- 12:27AM, teilhard wrote:


Yes ...


A NON-Proportional Response to 9-11-01 would have been to NUKE Tora Bora ...


We didn't ...


Instead, we overthrew The Taliban (Hosts and Sponsors of al Qaida) and BEGAN a convoluted Judicial-Military Process of going after al Qaida ...



 




And invaded Iraq.








And everybody knew it, even the people being invaded, and they knew that Dubya was just using 9/11 as an excuse.  What do you suppose they made of that?


What's the title of this thread?

This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2012 - 8:14AM #49
teilhard
Posts: 51,386

Gulf Wars I and II  were not about "al Qaida" ... but they WERE both engaged on Basis of The Authority of The United Nations ...


Jun 14, 2012 -- 8:11AM, amcolph wrote:


Jun 14, 2012 -- 7:53AM, teilhard wrote:


Obviously, Gulf Wars I and II were NOT in Response to 9-11-01 ...


Jun 14, 2012 -- 7:43AM, amcolph wrote:


Jun 14, 2012 -- 12:27AM, teilhard wrote:


Yes ...


A NON-Proportional Response to 9-11-01 would have been to NUKE Tora Bora ...


We didn't ...


Instead, we overthrew The Taliban (Hosts and Sponsors of al Qaida) and BEGAN a convoluted Judicial-Military Process of going after al Qaida ...



 




And invaded Iraq.








And everybody knew it, even the people being invaded, and they knew that Dubya was just using 9/11 as an excuse.  What do you suppose they made of that?


What's the title of this thread?





Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2012 - 8:24AM #50
amcolph
Posts: 17,669

Jun 14, 2012 -- 8:14AM, teilhard wrote:


Gulf Wars I and II  were not about "al Qaida" ... but they WERE both engaged on Basis of The Authority of The United Nations ...




 




Gulf I was in retaliation for the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait.


Gulf II was begun on blatantly false pretenses. 


Of course, we could argue about that, but the OP question is not "Were we justified?" but "Why do they hate us?"


Hate is often a matter of perception and believe me, if you spent any time at all overseas you would "perceive" the US gov't as a bunch of Nazis portrayed by Monty Python's Flying Circus--if we weren't so dangerous we'd be a laugh riot..

This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook