Switch to Forum Live View Ultra Orthodox Grafiti... against Israel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 1:43PM #1
Amin21
timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/middle...

I thought this was interesting... We see a lot of reports of anti-semitic grafiti... and "price tag" attacks....

But just to reflect the "diversity" of view points in and about Israel I thought this was interesting.

My understanding is that these are the types who believe Israel should only have been rebuilt by the Messiah.

They remind me a bit of that crazy church that wanted to burn qurans, protest Soldiers' funeral and other things...          
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 4:56PM #2
LeahOne

Yes, Amin - I can almost guarantee you that the graffitti are the work of individuals from 'Neturei Karta' aka 'NK'.  They are of basically the same mindset and 'mainstream' as the Westboro Baptist Church whom you alluded to with the 'protesting soldiers' funerals', yes.

It's this tiny splinter group to which a very-former poster used to refer in claiming ONLY they were 'true Jews' - which was interesting as he ALSO insisted no Askenazi Jews were really 'Jewish', and of course NK are Ashkenazi (Ashkenazi/Sephardi/Mizrachi is a *cultural* and not a 'theological' difference - it's NOT like 'sects' in Cristianity or Islam)  BTW, the official Hebrew of Israel is the Sephardic/Mizrachi pronunciation.

So there was an apparent contadiction in that past poster's 'definitions', but he never explained that....he just kept insisting that since he was the *descendant* of a Sephardi family which had converted to Christianity, he should have the 'Right of Return' while Askenazi Jews should not.

Incidentally, the NK are A 'stream' of Judaism (if one can call an infant's pissing a 'stream') which might actually hold the view that 'the world was created only for Jews' .  At the same time, they regularly appear on platforms with PA and HAMAS speakers at 'rallies', and make speeches denouncing Zionism as evil.

That 'odd bedfellow' situation is one reason I have so very little respect for 'ISM' or any of the other "Pro-Palestinian" groups which indulge in such propaganda theater.  I do not see the many Druze and other 'nonJews' who are willing, even enthusiastic, participants in Israeli society as being so incredibly far out on the fringes of Islam, Christianity, whatever religion as the NK are with regard to Judaism.

I'm certain someone or other will suggest that since I'm a Recon I reject NK as 'mainstream' because they are 'Orthodox'.  Here is a view from an actual Orthodox American Jew:

failedmessiah.typepad.com/failed_messiah... (below quoting an article quoted in this article:)

Yesterday in Meredith, NH, Ron Paul shook a hand that shook Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's hand.
The hand belonged to Yisroel Dovid Weiss, an activist rabbi who leads a branch of Neturei Karta, a small and very odd sect of Haredi Jews…While many Haredim are theologically opposed to Zionism…only Neturei Karta actively side with Israel's enemies.…(Weiss, whose grandparents perished at Aushwitz, is not himself a Holocaust denier, but he happily played token Jewish friend to those who are).…

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neturei_Karta

In Israel some members also pray at affiliated beis midrash, in Jerusalem's Meah Shearim neighborhood and in Ramat Beit Shemesh Bet. Neturei Karta states no official statistics exist about numbers.[3] The Jewish Virtual Library puts their numbers at 5,000 in Jerusalem[4] The Anti-Defamation League estimates that fewer than 100 members of the community take part in anti-Israel activism.[5]

www.nkusa.org/  <-  NB:  Although they claim to be 'Orthodox' Jews, I have never come across an official O. group or association which willingly includes them, or in which they participate.  They are thus not in communication with the vast majority of actual Orthodoxy.

Not that I dislike the Amish, but NK could be compared to a splinter sect of Amish - that's how 'mainstream' their 'theology' is not.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook