Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Shame: female soldier more likely to be raped by a fellow soldier than killed by enemy
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 10:54AM #1
Kwinters

Today a female soldier in Iraq or Afghanistan is more likely to be raped by a fellow soldier than killed by enemy fire.

This staggering statistic comes to us from a new and important documentary film The Invisible War. Winner of the Audience Award 2012 at the Sundance Film Festival, The Invisible War is a groundbreaking investigative documentary about the epidemic of rape within the U.S. military.

Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 11:42AM #2
teilhard

In a similar Vein of Tragedy, the Rate of Soldier Deaths by Suicide is now higher than than by Combat ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 1:38PM #3
Girlchristian

This isn't that surprising when you look at the rape statistics by country. In the UK(England and Wales) there were 24.1 reported rapes per 100,000, in the UK (Northern Ireland) there were 22.3 reported rapes per 100,000, in the US there were 28.6 reported rapes per 100,000, in New Zealand there were 30.9 per 100,000, and many more in other countries. If rape is that high in countries where there is no war or fighting it stands to reason that it will be high in war too.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 2:14PM #4
Erey

That is a good point GirlChristian

I hope any proven perpetrators of rape are dealt with to the fullest extent of the law in the US military.  The military need to take seriously any internal safety issues affecting the troops.

However, I think it is probably a bit BETTER to be raped by a collegue than it is to be killed by enemy fire.  Ideally I wish neither would happen to anyone.  However if I had to pick.......

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 6:41PM #5
johndavid23

Jun 12, 2012 -- 10:54AM, Kwinters wrote:

Today a female soldier in Iraq or Afghanistan is more likely to be raped by a fellow soldier than killed by enemy fire.

This staggering statistic comes to us from a new and important documentary film The Invisible War. Winner of the Audience Award 2012 at the Sundance Film Festival, The Invisible War is a groundbreaking investigative documentary about the epidemic of rape within the U.S. military.

Just think about it:  a person self-selects to join an organization which specializes in perpetrating violence upon mostly innocent people (the rate in modern warfare is about 10 civilians slaughtered for every combatant killed).  This 1% of the population which is so violence prone is let loose to creeate havoc and terror in many nations around the world, mostly so that huge international corporations can plunder the resources of these nations, whether it is bananas or rare earth minerals or oil.  Any female joining such a "gang" must also be "violence-prone".  Not to say that she is asking to be raped, or to rape others; just wondering why she is surprised when it happens in this environment of screwing over powerless innocent people.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 6:54PM #6
Kwinters

Jun 12, 2012 -- 1:38PM, Girlchristian wrote:

This isn't that surprising when you look at the rape statistics by country. In the UK(England and Wales) there were 24.1 reported rapes per 100,000, in the UK (Northern Ireland) there were 22.3 reported rapes per 100,000, in the US there were 28.6 reported rapes per 100,000, in New Zealand there were 30.9 per 100,000, and many more in other countries. If rape is that high in countries where there is no war or fighting it stands to reason that it will be high in war too.

It is not surprising if we assume there is no difference between the number of sexual predators in the general population and the number of sexual predators in the military.

I would hope that our service women would be safer in the presence of our service men.

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 6:56PM #7
Kwinters

Jun 12, 2012 -- 6:41PM, johndavid23 wrote:

Jun 12, 2012 -- 10:54AM, Kwinters wrote:

Just think about it:  a person self-selects to join an organization which specializes in perpetrating violence upon mostly innocent people (the rate in modern warfare is about 10 civilians slaughtered for every combatant killed).  This 1% of the population which is so violence prone is let loose to creeate havoc and terror in many nations around the world, mostly so that huge international corporations can plunder the resources of these nations, whether it is bananas or rare earth minerals or oil.  Any female joining such a "gang" must also be "violence-prone".  Not to say that she is asking to be raped, or to rape others; just wondering why she is surprised when it happens in this environment of screwing over powerless innocent people.

Because we should have greater expectations for those whose job it is to protect each other and to protect us.

I am surprised there isn't more outrage here.  After all, if homosexual men were attacking their fellow soldiers would that warrent more discussion then men raping our heros?

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 7:06PM #8
Girlchristian

Jun 12, 2012 -- 6:54PM, Kwinters wrote:

Jun 12, 2012 -- 1:38PM, Girlchristian wrote:

It is not surprising if we assume there is no difference between the number of sexual predators in the general population and the number of sexual predators in the military.

I would hope that our service women would be safer in the presence of our service men.

I would too, but that doesn't account for human nature being what it is. Afterall, you would think that a girl would be safest with her father and yet molestation and incest happens. What needs to happen is more education on how to avoid risky situations and anyone found guilty of rape should be prosecuted to the greatest extent possible (IMO, rape should come with a mandatory life in prison without parole sentence).

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 5:30AM #9
Fodaoson

What a bunch of nonsense posts!  Of course a female soldier is “RAPED” more often by peers than by enemy. She is around the peers more and when around the enemy they are more likely to see an enemy soldier and be trying to kill the enemy soldiers. All rapes are more likely to be perpetrated by someone who knows the victim.   Just as an aside, more soldiers and veterans have died in accidents in the last decade than as a result of enemy. 

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 8:29AM #10
Nepenthe

First way to combat this problem, as well as with suicide: stop with the idiotic length of deployments.

The Army has already gone from 12 months to 9.  That is still too long.  There is absolutely no reason the Army should not be doing 6 month deployments.  Most people I have spoken to and have read have agreed that after the 6 month mark, combat readiness and effectivenss is drastically reduced.  There was simply no reason to be doing 12 month deployments, and when former president Bush did his infamous 'surge', there were 15 month deployments going on.  That should how little he and his upper levels of DOD leadership cared little to nothing for the Soldier and their well-being.

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook