Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Shame: female soldier more likely to be raped by a fellow soldier than killed by enemy
2 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2012 - 4:44PM #21
mainecaptain

Jun 12, 2012 -- 6:54PM, Kwinters wrote:

Jun 12, 2012 -- 1:38PM, Girlchristian wrote:

This isn't that surprising when you look at the rape statistics by country. In the UK(England and Wales) there were 24.1 reported rapes per 100,000, in the UK (Northern Ireland) there were 22.3 reported rapes per 100,000, in the US there were 28.6 reported rapes per 100,000, in New Zealand there were 30.9 per 100,000, and many more in other countries. If rape is that high in countries where there is no war or fighting it stands to reason that it will be high in war too.

It is not surprising if we assume there is no difference between the number of sexual predators in the general population and the number of sexual predators in the military.

I would hope that our service women would be safer in the presence of our service men.

That would be my hope as well. I am most disappointed.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2012 - 9:30PM #22
Unworthyone

Jun 12, 2012 -- 7:06PM, Girlchristian wrote:

What needs to happen is more education on how to avoid risky situations and anyone found guilty of rape should be prosecuted to the greatest extent possible (IMO, rape should come with a mandatory life in prison without parole sentence).

Your first statement implies that victims are somehow contributory to the crime.  As though a prostitute or even a woman in a provocative dress "had it coming."  Your lack of understanding of what rape is (its about power and control, not sex) is astounding. And we're talking about our service personnel, for crying out loud!

You second statement suggests that rape be punished the same as murder.  The principle of unintended consequences says that this means more rape victims will not be left alive to testify against their attacker.

I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.  Thomas Jefferson

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

You can get anything you want out of life if you will just help enough other people get what they want. Zig Ziglar

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2012 - 9:44AM #23
Nepenthe

Jun 15, 2012 -- 9:16PM, Fodaoson wrote:

Just commenting  and posting thoughts about the Total subject of combat situation behaviors.  Had to deal with them for many years..  

A male soldier in the U S. Military is more likely to be criminally assaulted while in the US  than being killed in Combat while  in Afghanistan .In Afghanistan Females are not in combat MOS/AFSCs/Ratings , They do leave live among Male soldiers who  do experience combat and  are aggressive. Combat increases the production of male hormones  as a response to danger and those hormone can influence post combat  feelings.   Islam  does not produce   many prostitutes and this war and Iraq are the first American wars that has not produced numbers   brothels close to American camps  and is not producing “war brides”    Vietnam produced 100,000 American-Vietnamese children and thousands of war brides, as did Korea and WWII in Europe
Occupied  Japan produced  thousands of war brides. 

Yes rape is a problem but probably not just in Afghanistan and the social  reasons are myriad.        

edited 6/17

Thank you for the post, I can understand what you are saying.

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2012 - 12:18PM #24
Girlchristian

Jun 17, 2012 -- 9:30PM, Unworthyone wrote:

Jun 12, 2012 -- 7:06PM, Girlchristian wrote:

What needs to happen is more education on how to avoid risky situations and anyone found guilty of rape should be prosecuted to the greatest extent possible (IMO, rape should come with a mandatory life in prison without parole sentence).

Your first statement implies that victims are somehow contributory to the crime.  As though a prostitute or even a woman in a provocative dress "had it coming."  Your lack of understanding of what rape is (its about power and control, not sex) is astounding. And we're talking about our service personnel, for crying out loud!

As someone that has survived rape, I'm very well aware what it's about, but there are things that women can do to protect themselves (including not being alone with men in area where no one would hear them if they screamed...if you're at home (not in a war zone) women can avoid walking on dark streets by themselves, leaving windows open, etc...and that's not blaming them that's being realistic. Has nothing to do with what you wear. Since we can't just kill anyone that might be a rapist, being safe and cautious can prevent women from being raped.   

You second statement suggests that rape be punished the same as murder.  The principle of unintended consequences says that this means more rape victims will not be left alive to testify against their attacker.

Yes, I've heard the arguments and I understand them, but I don't believe that anyone that rapes another person should be set free.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 19, 2012 - 10:52AM #25
Unworthyone

I don't disagree that education is important.  We taught my daughter all about 'roofies' and what not before she went off to college.

The problem with the charge of rape is that the mere accusation can ruin lives.

I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.  Thomas Jefferson

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

You can get anything you want out of life if you will just help enough other people get what they want. Zig Ziglar

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 10:44AM #26
Kwinters

Jun 19, 2012 -- 10:52AM, Unworthyone wrote:

I don't disagree that education is important.  We taught my daughter all about 'roofies' and what not before she went off to college.

The problem with the charge of rape is that the mere accusation can ruin lives.

Being raped ruins lives.

Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 12:40PM #27
Fodaoson

Most criminal activity affects the victim negatively. That is the reason it is outlawed and prosecuted. No one on this board has spoken in favor of rape no one has claimed it is not bad.

Rape is criminal and punished by means equal to murder.   Arguing over the severity of rape is not  needed; what is needed is ways to  remove the factors leading to rape.   

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 1:21PM #28
Find1Answer

Jun 22, 2012 -- 12:40PM, Fodaoson wrote:

Most criminal activity affects the victim negatively. That is the reason it is outlawed and prosecuted. No one on this board has spoken in favor of rape no one has claimed it is not bad.

Rape is criminal and punished by means equal to murder.   Arguing over the severity of rape is not  needed; what is needed is ways to  remove the factors leading to rape.   

I believe and I may need to be corrected but the problem with the rapes in the military is that there has been reported an atmosphere of don't tell if you want a career in the military.     There is a high level of fear of retaliation and intimidation present in the miliary that needs to be addressed and may be the only solution in the long run.    Maybe the military has not caught up to the problems inherent in having women serve with men,  I don't know.     But from what I get on all this reporting of the rising statistics of women being raped are that they have little to no recourse except to resign as well as carry the trauma of the assault(S).        and as far as contractors in the middle east there is even less recourse as employees are made to sign off on pressing any criminal matters and agree to arbitration in case of rape or other criminal acts.

My point,  is not that rapes happen,  or the reason rapes happen or who had it coming or who didn't have prostitutes at hand to relieve the stress.      It is the level of intimidation that is the scandal.

Bush's "de-Bathification program" eliminated all vestiges of Sunni power in Iraqi society and set the stage for the Sunni insurrection against American occupation and the new Shiite-led government. Bush disbanded the entire Sunni-dominated Iraqi Army and bureaucracy. He didn't change it. He didn't make it more inclusive of Shiites and Kurds. He just disbanded it. It is no accident that two of the top commanders of today's ISIL are former commanders in the Saddam-era Iraqi military.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 8:18PM #29
REteach

Most men seem capable of restraint.  I think they are the ones who need to go after the ones lacking self control. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook