Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 9:17PM #1
catboxer
When asked why he didn't do more to help Mayor Tom Barrett, the Democrat who opposed Gov Scott Walker in the recent Wisconsin recall contest, President Obama said he was too busy.

"The truth of the matter is that, as president of the United States, I've got a lot of responsibilities," the prez rambled discursively in an attempt to explain this inexcusable snub of people who voted for him in 2008.

He could have told the truth, something like, Yeah, I had to hang him out to dry.

So then the question becomes, and why did you have to do that? Who gains by it?
Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 9:32PM #2
TENAC

I hadnt seen that cat.

But we remember this.....

2007: Barack Obama promised to "walk on that picket line"

Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 9:47PM #3
aarroottoonn

Jun 11, 2012 -- 9:17PM, catboxer wrote:

When asked why he didn't do more to help Mayor Tom Barrett, the Democrat who opposed Gov Scott Walker in the recent Wisconsin recall contest, President Obama said he was too busy.

"The truth of the matter is that, as president of the United States, I've got a lot of responsibilities," the prez rambled discursively in an attempt to explain this inexcusable snub of people who voted for him in 2008.

He could have told the truth, something like, Yeah, I had to hang him out to dry.

I agree, he could have told the truth. The truth is Obama wouldn't have swung the election to Barrett, and the president would have looked even weaker had he campaigned for him, and he lost. That is the nature of politics.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 11:00PM #4
Fodaoson

If I had lived in Wisconsin I would not have voted to remove the sitting Governor from office . He did nothing illegal or immoral.

We had a recall election a year ago of  the mayor and council members. I had not voted for the mayor or two of the council members but didnot vote for recall.  They had annexed an area in accordance with state law. Some   people did not like it Recall is for  crimes and misdemeanors  not politics and policy 

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 9:37AM #5
catboxer

Jun 11, 2012 -- 11:00PM, Fodaoson wrote:

If I had lived in Wisconsin I would not have voted to remove the sitting Governor from office . He did nothing illegal or immoral.

Of course he did nothing illegal, but that's because he and his faction write the laws.

As for the question of whether he did anything immoral, that depends on how one feels about public employee unions, and whether they have right to bargain collectively with their employers.

If Obama and the Democrats aren't willing to take up the cause of workers and take a firm stand on this issue specifically, who do they represent? Working people in the US are fighting a class war waged against by the people who funded Scott Walker and his crew, but the Dems are pretending it's politics as usual.

What I find unacceptable is the Democrats' reliance on rules and protocol when it suits them.

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 10:01AM #6
Zaracyn

well, at least now the Obama capaign can cross "tweeting" off the list of effective social media strategies...

www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/17/oba...

...maybe they should try Facebook?  ;-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 11:19AM #7
Jasr

I agree he should probably have been more forthright.

However...does it not occur to people that there was far too much outside interference in the Wisconsin recall election as it was?

Is it a good use of presidential perks, power, and resources to interfere in a local election, when, as Aaron correctly points out, the interference would probably not have been effective anyway, and done more harm than good?

And as for the people who voted for him in 2008...remember that Wisconsin exit polls showed that even people who voted against the recall were supportive of Obama and not particularly supportive of Walker. Many just thought that the recall was inappropriate for this situation, for reasons that Fod has made clear.

The progressive cause, perhaps? The effort to reveal the noxious effects of the Citizens United decision? The effort to draw attention to Walker's mendacity, and the extent to which he is basically owned by ALEC?

And remember...the citizens of Wisconsin did take back the Senate.

It wasn't a completely disastrous outcome.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 11:49AM #8
Druac

Jun 11, 2012 -- 9:47PM, aarroottoonn wrote:

I agree, he could have told the truth. The truth is Obama wouldn't have swung the election to Barrett, and the president would have looked even weaker had he campaigned for him, and he lost. That is the nature of politics.

+1

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
---------------------------------------------
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 12:43PM #9
Girlchristian

Jun 11, 2012 -- 11:00PM, Fodaoson wrote:

+1

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 12:44PM #10
Girlchristian

Jun 11, 2012 -- 9:47PM, aarroottoonn wrote:

+1

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook