Switch to Forum Live View Syria VS. Palestine Double Standard on Media References
2 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2012 - 8:58PM #1
Amin21
It seem that there are people in this world that only accept a source when it suits them.

I did a quick search on Al Jazeera and BBC and what seemed interesting is that there were a number of people willing to quote and reference BBC articles and Jazeera articles... yet at the same time were willing to disparage the both networks entirely when it came to Assad...

In fact the networks are accused of being part of a Western Plot to deiscredit the Syrian regime and make a case for "Western imperialism"

It shouldn't be too surprising in part that this has happened, Assad's official position is that Jazeera is bought off by America (despite its strong anti-Iraq war stance for a decade... and anti-Afghanistan war stance... and pro-Palestinian anti-Israel stance to a certain extent, whether one believes these points of view are justified or not)

I admit I have a bit of a double standard myself to a certain extent, I had a lot of issues with Jazeera reporting for a while, especially in regards to the Iraq war, but that was years ago... and Jazeera has matured.  On that note, when it comes to Iraq, I always appreciated the under-reported in the US coverage Jazeera provided on Shia government officials in Iraq that were closely tied to Iran when our media in the states and administration pretended that Iran WASN'T gaining more influence than the US... but I digress.

The question becomes when we look at different sources reporting on the Middle East, Jazeera, Arabiya, BBC Sharq AlAwsat, what makes them believable and reponsible press to people in one situation vs another... and more over...

Why do people who distrust these sources on Syria trust them on Israel/Palestine
and why do some here trust the in regards to Syria and not Palestine/Israel.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2012 - 12:33PM #2
Mlyons619

Yup.  Here's another example...

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2012 - 4:03PM #3
rocketjsquirell

Amin

I am fairly sceptical of the BBC because of their pronounced anti-Israel bias. This has led me to question much of the rest of their reporting. That may or may not be fair. The same holds true for any number of supposedly reputable news agencies. 

On the other hand, I am unaware of any particular bias of any of the major news outlets with regard to Syria. In fact, until very recently we regularly saw laudatory pieces in the reputable media about the reforms being made in Syria etc.... and there was surprisingly little negative coverage of Syria's meddling in the affairs of Lebanon. Therefore, I am apt to believe reports in the media concerning recent events and the complicity in them by Assad and his regime. Until and unless someone can show me where the major news media is biased with regard to Syria I will continue to assume that the reports are fairly accurate.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2012 - 5:25PM #4
Amin21

So claims of BBC being part of a zionist conspiracy...

must seem rather hilarious to you...

I know I have found them quite funny.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2012 - 5:48PM #5
rocketjsquirell

Jun 8, 2012 -- 5:25PM, Amin21 wrote:

So claims of BBC being part of a zionist conspiracy...

must seem rather hilarious to you...

I know I have found them quite funny.

Amin

It just underscores the point that Zionists are reallllllllllly bad at conspiracies Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2012 - 11:01PM #6
Mlyons619

When it comes to substantiating the "evil deeds of the zionists" THERE ARE NO STANDARDS...

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook