Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View About That Individual Mandate
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 3:34PM #1
Jasr

OK political junkies: who wrote this?

Some of my libertarian friends balk at an individual mandate. But is it libertarian to insist that government pick up the tab for those without insurance or means to pay? An uninsured libertarian might counter that he could refuse the free care, but under law, that is impossible -- and inhumane.

Answer: Mitt Romney, in 2006!

...in an e-mailed first draft of WSJ Op Ed he penned in 2006. His staff deleted e-mails from a server when he left the Massachusetts governor's mansion...thinking that with one high-tech shake of the etch-a-sketch they could invent a new Mitt. But they reckoned without server backups and public records requests...

And now that Mitt wants everybody to forget he ever was the governor of Massachusetts, I am sure he is chagrined to see this Freudian slip come to light, as his cynical Republican colleagues attempt to sabotage health care reform with help from the activist court that elected George W. Bush for us.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 4:34PM #2
arielg

So, what are you saying?   That he believes what he said then but now he has to tow the Republican line?  A politician woudn't go anywhere if he doesn't at least pay lip service to his party's positions.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 4:38PM #3
Jasr

Jun 5, 2012 -- 4:34PM, arielg wrote:

So, what are you saying?   That he believes what he said then but now he has to tow the Republican line?

That is exactly what I am saying.

The courage of one's convictions is an admirable trait in a leader. Too bad Mitt does not have it.

Mitt and his party do not have anything, in fact, except their own fear, and the fear which they are trying to inspire in the voters.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 5:43PM #4
Girlchristian

Mitt supports a mandate by the state, but not one by the federal gov't, which is in line with the conservative position...not that hard to understand. It's the conservatives that have criticized him that are in the wrong.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 6:38PM #5
Find1Answer

So, what are you saying?   That he believes what he said then but now he has to tow the Republican line?  A politician woudn't go anywhere if he doesn't at least pay lip service to his party's positions.

Mitt was towing the republican line as the individual mandate was intellectual property of the Heritage Foundation but depending on what line is drawn in the sand by the Tea Party Republicans or the Corporate owned Republicans that line changes on a frequent basis.   Mitt is nimble but the amusing one to watch is Orrin Hatch the 80 year old,  never thought he was so light on his feet.

"I don’t care if the federal government is telling me to buy my employees Jack Daniel’s or birth control. What gives them the right to tell me that I have to do that? That’s my issue, that’s what I object to, and that’s the beginning and end of the story."

This hint that Potter had merely swaddled an anti-government rant within a "religious" blanket illustrates the main problem with Justice Samuel Alito's majority opinion in Hobby Lobby: it takes claims of religious scruples for granted.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-expanded-hobby-lobby-20140702-column.html#page=1
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 9:43PM #6
aarroottoonn

Jun 5, 2012 -- 3:34PM, Jasr wrote:

OK political junkies: who wrote this?

Some of my libertarian friends balk at an individual mandate. But is it libertarian to insist that government pick up the tab for those without insurance or means to pay? An uninsured libertarian might counter that he could refuse the free care, but under law, that is impossible -- and inhumane.

Answer: Mitt Romney, in 2006!

...in an e-mailed first draft of WSJ Op Ed he penned in 2006. His staff deleted e-mails from a server when he left the Massachusetts governor's mansion...thinking that with one high-tech shake of the etch-a-sketch they could invent a new Mitt. But they reckoned without server backups and public records requests...

And now that Mitt wants everybody to forget he ever was the governor of Massachusetts, I am sure he is chagrined to see this Freudian slip come to light, as his cynical Republican colleagues attempt to sabotage health care reform with help from the activist court that elected George W. Bush for us.

It doesn't matter what Romney said as Governor. He has said repeatedly that what is/was good for MA, is not necessarily what is good for TX. It is federalism, pure and simple. Until the left understands that simple concept, there isn't much else to talk about on this topic.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 9:44PM #7
aarroottoonn

Jun 5, 2012 -- 4:38PM, Jasr wrote:

So, what are you saying?   That he believes what he said then but now he has to tow the Republican line?

That is exactly what I am saying.

The courage of one's convictions is an admirable trait in a leader. Too bad Mitt does not have it.

Mitt and his party do not have anything, in fact, except their own fear, and the fear which they are trying to inspire in the voters.

A courage that bankrupts the nation, is not an admirable trait. Of course, I could also bring up Bush the younger, who used his convictions to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan, and is/was despised by the left for it.

And the right has the very likely fear that a) Obamacare will not only not bend the cost curve down, it will drive it almost vertically up, b) that due to a, rationing will happen, exactly as it does everywhere else there is nationalized care, and the problems associated with that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2012 - 9:18AM #8
Jasr

Jun 5, 2012 -- 9:43PM, aarroottoonn wrote:

It doesn't matter what Romney said as Governor. He has said repeatedly that what is/was good for MA, is not necessarily what is good for TX.

That sounds like a good permanent excuse for Mitt. He can distance himself from his Massachusetts record forever.

How meaningless is a state level mandate, when uninsured patients from Nashua New Hampshire can show up at Mass General and demand to be treated?

The mandate was meant to be federal when the Heritage Foundation first proposed it, and Mitt Romney knew it when he imposed it im Massachusetts.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2012 - 9:42AM #9
CharikIeia

Jun 5, 2012 -- 9:43PM, aarroottoonn wrote:

It doesn't matter what Romney said as Governor. He has said repeatedly that what is/was good for MA, is not necessarily what is good for TX. It is federalism, pure and simple. Until the left understands that simple concept, there isn't much else to talk about on this topic.

In 2004, your ilk called this degree of nuance and context-sensitivity 'flip-flopping'.

Do you remember, if I may ask?

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2012 - 9:59AM #10
amcolph

Jun 5, 2012 -- 9:44PM, aarroottoonn wrote:

And the right has the very likely fear that a) Obamacare will not only not bend the cost curve down, it will drive it almost vertically up, b) that due to a, rationing will happen, exactly as it does everywhere else there is nationalized care, and the problems associated with that.

The right has the fear that Obamacare (or, if not Obamacare then some other leftist scheme) will allow the poor to have  medical care as good as the rich.

This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook