Page 39 of 70  •  Prev 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 ... 70 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Federal court rules centerpiece of gay marriage law unconstitutional
3 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 3:12PM #381
Do_unto_others

Jun 12, 2012 -- 1:11PM, Cesmom wrote:

Jun 12, 2012 -- 12:55PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

Jun 12, 2012 -- 11:11AM, Cesmom wrote:

Children were brought up in response to the post about the state getting involved in marriage to protect it's own interests, so it is relevant to this portion of the discussion.

Just because not every same sex couple is interested in raising children doesn't mean that children are not relevant to the discussion.  The denial of marriage to same sex couples is not what's best for the children in those families.  That is a point worthy of discussion, whether you believe so or not.

I think "children were brought up" to derail this discussion - like they attempt to derail EVERY discussion of same-gender marriage - to be ONLY about the welfare of, in large part, NON-EXISTANT children.

Yes, some gay couples do have them. (And yes, those families also need the equal protections afforded to heterosexual families - and SOME here still insist this isn't about equal rights!!!) And yes, many heterosexual couples do not have any children. That is my very point. They are NOT a requirement of marriage.

So be it...maybe children were brought up to derail the discussion.  However, IMO, children are a very real part of the discussion, as they should be.

Only in the regard that any children present in same-gender parent households (or in any SINGLE parent household, for that matter) deserve the exact SAME protections as those in any opposite-gender parent households. As, of course, those LGBT parents need the exact same protections that str8 parents need.  It IS about equal rights, after all. Not if there are kids in the home, NOR how they might have got there.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 4:40PM #382
TENAC

Children are a part of the ssm discussion as the marriage itself.  The problem with those on the left is they can only view one side of an issue when it suits their purposes.  The ramifications of ssm will cause little concern in this generation.  It is the ensuing generations where it will be felt, something else our children and grand children will deal with along with the debt.

Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 6:04PM #383
Druac

Jun 12, 2012 -- 4:40PM, TENAC wrote:

Children are a part of the ssm discussion as the marriage itself.  The problem with those on the left is they can only view one side of an issue when it suits their purposes.  The ramifications of ssm will cause little concern in this generation.  It is the ensuing generations where it will be felt, something else our children and grand children will deal with along with the debt.

Crappy opinion...nothing concrete has been presented to make this statement valid.

There is nothing to "deal with" in terms of allowing same-sex marriages...other than in the heads of the self-righteous.

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 6:44PM #384
Stardove

I saw a part of this video last night on the news.  I think this is an important video to watch, if you are involved in this discussion about same sex marriage.  I hope you will take the time to watch this video.

If for some reason you can't watch the video here is an article link about it.

Prominent Pastor Preaching In Support of Gays (Video)

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The sun rises every morning and sheds light, vanquishing the night's darkness. The rooster also rises every morning only, unlike the sun, he simply makes noise. But the darkness of the night is dispelled by sunshine, not by the rooster's crowing.The world can use more light and less noise. Where I can, I want to be light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 6:50PM #385
Stardove

Speaking about children in gay families.  Here is a young wise man who was raised by two mothers.

Zach Wahls, a 19-year-old University of Iowa student spoke about the strength of his family during a public forum on House Joint Resolution 6 in the Iowa House of Representatives. Wahls has two mothers, and came to oppose House Joint Resolution 6 which would end civil unions in Iowa.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The sun rises every morning and sheds light, vanquishing the night's darkness. The rooster also rises every morning only, unlike the sun, he simply makes noise. But the darkness of the night is dispelled by sunshine, not by the rooster's crowing.The world can use more light and less noise. Where I can, I want to be light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 7:31PM #386
mecdukebec

Jun 12, 2012 -- 6:44PM, Stardove wrote:

I saw a part of this video last night on the news.  I think this is an important video to watch, if you are involved in this discussion about same sex marriage.  I hope you will take the time to watch this video.

If for some reason you can't watch the video here is an article link about it.

Prominent Pastor Preaching In Support of Gays (Video)

I like how the pastor grasped and resonated to the Preamble to the Declaration of Independence, i.e. "We hold these truths... that all men are created equal."  At that time, as we know, "all men" meant white, male property holders:  certainly not African-Americans, and not women (Thank you, Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony). 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 8:15PM #387
TENAC

It will take a while to look through, but certainly gives overwhelming credence to the concerns I posted regarding the former president of the APA.

Same-sex parenting and children’s outcomes: A closer examination of the American psychological association’s brief on lesbian and gay parenting 

Edit: smaller font

Moderated by Stardove on Jun 12, 2012 - 08:29PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 9:18PM #388
Cesmom

Jun 12, 2012 -- 8:15PM, TENAC wrote:

It will take a while to look through, but certainly gives overwhelming credence to the concerns I posted regarding the former president of the APA.

Same-sex parenting and children’s outcomes: A closer examination of the American psychological association’s brief on lesbian and gay parenting 

Don't tell me you honestly read the entire report.  Besides, it's one study intended to refute 59 others.  I'm not buying.  Overwhelming credence, it's not.

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 9:47PM #389
TENAC

Jun 12, 2012 -- 9:18PM, Cesmom wrote:

Jun 12, 2012 -- 8:15PM, TENAC wrote:

Don't tell me you honestly read the entire report.  Besides, it's one study intended to refute 59 others.  I'm not buying.  Overwhelming credence, it's not.

You are misreading the paper.

It is a paper on the APA study.  The APA (which in 2004) came out with the conclusion that there is no apparent harmful effects of ss parenting.  The APA paper pulled from the 59 studies listed in this paper.  Marks looks at the study, then the studies it pulls from and examines the variables that went into the study of the 59 studies.

I read a lot of it.  There is a lot of commonalities that surface to be flaws.

Read through the questions it poses of the studies.

Look at this as well.  I posted it back in the thread.

www.lifesitenews.com/news/former-preside...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 10:49PM #390
Do_unto_others

Children are a part of the ssm discussion as the marriage itself.

Only in so much as they deserve equal protections of the law too if they're present in the household. As do their parents. (Thanks for your 'concern'.) Meanwhile, since they aren't a requirement of anyone's marriage, they're only "a part of the discussion" if and when they EXIST.

The ramifications of ssm will cause little concern in this generation. 

And rightly so, since there aren't any except for in your over-vivid imagination.

It is the ensuing generations where it will be felt, something else our children and grand children will deal with along with the debt.

So, you're a fortune teller now? I believe the Bible has some warnings about your type.

LOL.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 39 of 70  •  Prev 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 ... 70 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook