Post Reply
Page 70 of 70  •  Prev 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 70
Switch to Forum Live View Federal court rules centerpiece of gay marriage law unconstitutional
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 8:20PM #691
REteach
Posts: 14,757

WTF is this country coming to?  We free the slaves and even given them the right to vote and use our water fountains.  We let women have the right to vote and even own their own property.  We decide that states can't tax citizens to support a religion.  We decide that fathers have to treat their daughters as least as well as they treat their dogs and cart horses.  We violate God's will by allowing White women to marry black men.  


No wonder some white men are running scared. Their whole world is just slipping away. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 8:33PM #692
mecdukebec
Posts: 14,714

Jun 28, 2012 -- 8:20PM, REteach wrote:


WTF is this country coming to?  We free the slaves and even given them the right to vote and use our water fountains.  We let women have the right to vote and even own their own property.  We decide that states can't tax citizens to support a religion.  We decide that fathers have to treat their daughters as least as well as they treat their dogs and cart horses.  We violate God's will by allowing White women to marry black men. 


No wonder some white men are running scared. Their whole world is just slipping away.





I think that Wingoism is becoming navel-gazing.  At the insistence of a dear, wounded soldier the other day, I visited his webpage where he and associated Wingos from the South were saying that the Confederacy was a "great place, because the 'Negros' [their term] had more rights than they have today."  -- Wingoreasoning, I think, is on a long slide into the drink.  Sort of like their beliefs about Iraq becoming a "Christian nation."  Of course:  Wingoism has no experience of racism, nor the experience of military service;  "as ever."  

*******

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 8:59PM #693
Druac
Posts: 12,096

Jun 28, 2012 -- 5:25PM, TENAC wrote:

With this ruling today from the SCOTUS, I think it us safe to say ssm will become the law of the land.



Yep...they might actually do the right thing, after all.

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
---------------------------------------------
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
---------------------------------------------
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 9:14PM #694
Ed.W
Posts: 9,442

Jun 28, 2012 -- 6:05PM, TENAC wrote:

Are you kidding? The past two rulings show this court has 3 reliable constitutional constructionist votes. Liberals should fast track any and all left leaning appellate court decisions to the Supremes.



Maybe not, TENAC.   The 14th amendment avenue has already been before the court... and failed.  They would be reversing themselves to uphold the 9th circus.


In the case of Richard John Baker v. Gerald R. Nelson[1] the Minnesota Supreme Court ruled that Minnesota law limited marriage to different-sex couples and that this limitation did not violate the United States Constitution. The plaintiffs appealed, and on October 10, 1972, the United States Supreme Court dismissed the appeal "for want of a substantial federal question." Because the case came to the federal Supreme Court through mandatory appellate review (not certiorari), the summary dismissal constituted a decision on the merits and established Baker v. Nelson as a precedent,[2] though the extent of its precedential effect has been subject to debate.[3]




Baker v Nelson

‘Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.’ --Lao Tzu
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 9:36PM #695
mecdukebec
Posts: 14,714

Jun 28, 2012 -- 9:14PM, Ed.W wrote:


Jun 28, 2012 -- 6:05PM, TENAC wrote:

Are you kidding? The past two rulings show this court has 3 reliable constitutional constructionist votes. Liberals should fast track any and all left leaning appellate court decisions to the Supremes.



Maybe not, TENAC.   The 14th amendment avenue has already been before the court... and failed.  They would be reversing themselves to uphold the 9th circus.





Well, it's not like the 14th Amendment has a Due Process clause that makes the Bill of Rights applicable to the states, as the Slaughterhouse Cases showed, and the 1964 Civil Rights Act also applied. 

*******

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 9:36PM #696
Do_unto_others
Posts: 8,995

Jun 28, 2012 -- 5:40PM, teilhard wrote:


Only if Congress finds a Way to "Tax" It ...


Jun 28, 2012 -- 5:25PM, TENAC wrote:

With this ruling today from the SCOTUS, I think it us safe to say ssm will become the law of the land.








Um, bridal gown sales are taxed. Ditto for tuxedo rentals. Likewise for hall rentals (when they deign to rent to us). Flowers are also taxed. Catering is taxed as well. Similarly, hotel room stays for guests and family/friends/honeymoons are taxed. Restaurant meals are taxed. Airplane tickets to the honeymoon destination are OVER-taxed. Booze at the reception? Taxed.


Heck, I think when you get the license, the state taxes that too.


What part of marriage - gay or str8 - doesn't get taxed?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 70 of 70  •  Prev 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 70
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook