Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Sesame Street Used in Interrogations?
2 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2012 - 8:08AM #1
Ironhold
link

Seriously - according to reports, the folks at Guantanamo would play Sesame Street songs 24/7 to try and break some of the inmates down there.

Believe it or not.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2012 - 8:34AM #2
Nepenthe

I do believe it.  Sleep deprivation can be a nasty form of mental and physical torture.  I would guess that it is not as bad as isolation, but still pretty bad.

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2012 - 8:40AM #3
Unworthyone

Jun 1, 2012 -- 8:08AM, Ironhold wrote:

link

Seriously - according to reports, the folks at Guantanamo would play Sesame Street songs 24/7 to try and break some of the inmates down there.

Believe it or not.

They used Sesame Street music because the Attorney General determined that Barney the Dinosaur music was inhumane torture.  This fact was established after consulting thousands of parents of three-year-olds.

I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.  Thomas Jefferson

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

You can get anything you want out of life if you will just help enough other people get what they want. Zig Ziglar

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2012 - 11:01AM #4
Ebon

Jun 1, 2012 -- 8:08AM, Ironhold wrote:

Believe it or not.

I believe it entirely. It doesn't really matter what the song is or even if there are lyrics at all, it's the monotony, the sheer relentlessness of it that makes it so terrible for the listener. Plus, sleep deprivation has all kinds of nasty effects including mental and physical illness. Which is why the US State Department and the British Foreign Office consider it a form of torture. The European Court of Human Rights classifies it as "inhumane and degrading treatment" (one step down from outright torture as a war crime) which also makes it a violation of the ECHR. We have these rules for a reason.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 1:41PM #5
mytmouse57

The "Elmo" theme song is torture even once.

Imagine having to hear it over and over.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 2:05PM #6
rabello

Of course I "believe" it.  This has been known for a long time.  It is something every American should know about.

They didn't just use the Barney Song...they used metallic rock and acid rock played over and over again at eardrum-piercing volumes, along with strobe light, sleep deprivation that lasted over a week at a time, dietary manipulations to cause cramps and things like diarrhea but without depriving the victim of needed daily nutrients -- with "Slim Fast".

Be proud, America!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 5:47AM #7
Iwantamotto

I like SST songs.  I still sing the ones I learned as a kid.  Heck, sometimes I play them on the way to work (they're upbeat, not super crappy, nonviolent ... perfect low-stress songs, LOL).

Unworthyone:  They used Sesame Street music because the Attorney General determined that Barney the Dinosaur music was inhumane torture.  This fact was established after consulting thousands of parents of three-year-olds.

LOL!  Yes, give me "Cooperation ... makes it happen ... cooperation ... working together!"   Play "I love you, you love me ..." I ... I can't even regurgitate a verse of that crap.  *shudders*

mytmouse57:  The "Elmo" theme song is torture even once.

LOL, ok, ok ... there's that one.  :D

Don't let that little red devil irritate you.  Stick to classic Street, before he became popular.  :D

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 9:46AM #8
Ebon

I love you / you love me / let's gang up and kill Barney

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2012 - 3:42PM #9
TPaine

If they really want to break the prisoners at Gitmo, they could run episodes of Jersey Shore, The Jerry Springer Show, or My Mother The Car at full volume 24/7. Either that or a compilation of all George W. Bush's speeches would work.

"The genius of the Constitution rests not in any static meaning it might have had in a world that is dead and gone, but in the adaptability of its great principles to cope with current problems and current needs." -- Justice William Brennan: Speech to the Text and Teaching Symposium at Georgetown University (October 12, 1985)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 12:58PM #10
rangerken

If it makes the GITMO inmates unhappy, uncomfortable, annoyed, and prone to whining I'm all for doing more of it.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook