Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Bob Dylan: Sell-Out or Hero?
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 4:52PM #1
rabello
War President Barack Obama awards Bob Dylan the Presidential Medal of Freedom.  And Dylan accepts!  

For me, another antiwar icon "caught the last train for the coast"

What does everyone else think?  Does anyone know of any anti Afghanistan-"War" protest songs recorded by Dylan?  
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 5:02PM #2
Jasr

I think the whole "medal of freedom" thing is a crock, frankly.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 5:05PM #3
Druac

The Medal of Freedom is the Nation’s highest civilian honor, presented to individuals who have made especially meritorious contributions to the security or national interests of the United States, to world peace, or to cultural or other significant public or private endeavors.

I would have no problem placing Dylan in that last category.

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 5:12PM #4
rabello

May 29, 2012 -- 5:02PM, Jasr wrote:

I think the whole "medal of freedom" thing is a crock, frankly.

Probably.

Awards by independent third parties have more credibility.  It was rather silly seeing Bob Dylan seemingly almost asleep accepting the award.   I prefered to see a bit of 60s-type activism and passion, myself, more like what the vets who used Chief Joseph as their reference, when they decided not to accept their awards. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 5:18PM #5
rabello

May 29, 2012 -- 5:05PM, Druac wrote:

The Medal of Freedom is the Nation’s highest civilian honor, presented to individuals who have made especially meritorious contributions to the security or national interests of the United States, to world peace, or to cultural or other significant public or private endeavors.

Valid point.  Still, I have a hard time believing that, as parents, Barack and Michelle Obama, would appreciate the cultural significance of "Lay Lady Lay" -- or most post Reagan Revolution parents, for that matter.   (sorry, I just had to throw that in)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 5:25PM #6
Cesmom

May 29, 2012 -- 5:05PM, Druac wrote:

I think he fits very nicely in that last category. 

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 5:25PM #7
Fodaoson

I just retired ( effective May 31). I hope I do not get as cynical, biased, closed minded and opinionated as some folk.   

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 6:03PM #8
catboxer

Sure old Dylan is a cynical old sellout. He's been working too hard and been on the road too long. You can still see the guy that used to be there, but there are some real hard layers laid on top of it.

Of course, I could be totally wrong. He might show up with his guitar and sing "Masters of War" to the prez. You know, it's one of his best-known songs, and it's what any self-respecting person getting a Freedom Medal or whatever it's called from Obama ought to do anyway.

It's what I'd do, even though I can't hardly play guitar any more and my singing voice is totally shot compared to what it used to be (sort of like Bob).

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 6:33PM #9
catboxer

Ah, OK, it already happened.

Closing his eyes and going to sleep, Dylan accepted the medal from the hands of the president and from a grateful nation.

(klap klap)

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 8:01PM #10
costrel

I don't know if he's a hero or not, but I don't think he's a sell-out; he just grew old. If you really want to impact the world and secure your place in history, you must do something great and then die at a relatively young age (the cut-off age seems to be no older than 50), either as the result of disease (John Keats, Emily Bronte, Anne Bronte, Charlotte Bronte, Jack London, Henry Thoreau, Lord Byron, Stephen Crane, St. Therese of Lisieux, Franz Kafka), drug and/or alcohol consumption and/or overdose (Jack Kerouac, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Amy Winehouse), or suicide, assasination, execution, war, drowning, etc. (P. B. Shelley, Sylvia Plath, Jesus, Crazy Horse, MLK, St. Joan of Arc, Anne Frank, Marilyn Monroe, Kurt Cobain). 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook