Switch to Forum Live View Pots and Pans Protest in Canada
2 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 2:09PM #1
Stardove

Montreal Pots And Pans Video Of Protest Against Bill 78 Goes Viral

A video of protesters banging pots and pans on Quebec streets is going viral on social networks.

Posted on Friday afternoon, the beautiful black and white film shows protesters of all ages taking to the streets to protest the emergency law Bill 78. The Vimeo video quickly began showing up all over Twitter and Facebook.

Bill 78 is being called a draconian attempt to quell massive student protests that have taken over Quebec streets for more than 100 days. The bill limits the ability to protest by requiring groups to get police approval for demonstrations and restricting where they can take place, among other provisions.

People took up the percussive protest Thursday night in several towns and cities including Sorel, Longueuil, Chambly, Repentigny, Trois-Rivieres and even in Abitibi -- several hundred kilometres away from the hot spot of Montreal.

They were still loudest in Montreal, where a chorus of metallic clanks rang out in neighbourhoods around the city, spilling into the main demonstrations and sounding like aluminum symphonies.

The pots-and-pans protest has its roots in Chile, where people have used it for years as an effective, peaceful tool to express civil disobedience. The noisy cacerolazo tradition actually predates the Pinochet regime in Chile, but has endured there and spread to other countries as a method of showing popular defiance.

Continued at link with video and pictures.

I don't understand the words, but the music is very nice in the black and white video.  Link to larger video.

I have made a few online friends from Canada.  I think they are such a peaceful people with their pots and pans protest about protests. Wink

Interesting to note no police in riot gear.  Wonder why that is?

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 2:40PM #2
mainecaptain

"no police in riot gear" because they are very civilised. Wink

Interesting situation though, I must research this more.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 3:22PM #3
mountain_man

It seems the USA could learn a lot from it's more civilized northern neighbour. Eh?

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 5:52PM #4
jane2

Interesting that this is occuring in French Quebec.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 27, 2012 - 8:24PM #5
Roodog

May 27, 2012 -- 2:09PM, Stardove wrote:

Montreal Pots And Pans Video Of Protest Against Bill 78 Goes Viral

A video of protesters banging pots and pans on Quebec streets is going viral on social networks.

Posted on Friday afternoon, the beautiful black and white film shows protesters of all ages taking to the streets to protest the emergency law Bill 78. The Vimeo video quickly began showing up all over Twitter and Facebook.

Bill 78 is being called a draconian attempt to quell massive student protests that have taken over Quebec streets for more than 100 days. The bill limits the ability to protest by requiring groups to get police approval for demonstrations and restricting where they can take place, among other provisions.

People took up the percussive protest Thursday night in several towns and cities including Sorel, Longueuil, Chambly, Repentigny, Trois-Rivieres and even in Abitibi -- several hundred kilometres away from the hot spot of Montreal.

They were still loudest in Montreal, where a chorus of metallic clanks rang out in neighbourhoods around the city, spilling into the main demonstrations and sounding like aluminum symphonies.

The pots-and-pans protest has its roots in Chile, where people have used it for years as an effective, peaceful tool to express civil disobedience. The noisy cacerolazo tradition actually predates the Pinochet regime in Chile, but has endured there and spread to other countries as a method of showing popular defiance.

Continued at link with video and pictures.

I don't understand the words, but the music is very nice in the black and white video.  Link to larger video.

I have made a few online friends from Canada.  I think they are such a peaceful people with their pots and pans protest about protests. Wink

Interesting to note no police in riot gear.  Wonder why that is?

Don't worry, the authorities will crack down on these protestors too. And when the parents go to enquire about what happened to their children, they'll be arrested too.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 28, 2012 - 7:55PM #6
mecdukebec

May 27, 2012 -- 5:52PM, jane2 wrote:

Interesting that this is occuring in French Quebec.

Actually, the protests have been occuring in Kebec for a while.  And, there have been substantial manifestations here between the police and the young demonstrators.   Many of us here have been disturbed at the reports on CRTC in re:  new rights of the SQ to pre-empt strikes before they happen.  Jean Charest, Premier, is very unpopular. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 28, 2012 - 8:51PM #7
farragut

I can see why John Charest would be unpopular with the PQ, and after that de-merger fiasco with everyone. Bon chance.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 3:44AM #8
Yavanna

May 27, 2012 -- 3:22PM, mountain_man wrote:

It seems the USA could learn a lot from it's more civilized northern neighbour. Eh?

In so many ways. =/

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel