Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Population will level at 10 billion and stabilize
2 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 7:18PM #1
Fodaoson

Will  the Population continue to grow  until we overcrowded ?  Here is a   TED talk that addressed the trend worldwide.    Although the speaker addresses it from a religion approach, it is really about education,  women’s social  progress and other factors.

www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosling_religions...
“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 9:10PM #2
mountain_man

May 24, 2012 -- 7:18PM, Fodaoson wrote:

Will  the Population continue to grow  until we overcrowded ?....

No one can predict the future. This guy may have an opinion, but anyone can put a bunch of factors and beliefs together and claim anything they want.

Many would say that we are "overcrowded" now.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 10:38PM #3
teilhard

The RATE of Human Population Increase has begun to slow, but there are already WAY too many of us ... I don't think we'll reach 10 Billion before we have a VERY Large Population CRASH ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 25, 2012 - 3:04AM #4
CharikIeia

The older and the more disconnected from reality people get, the more they tend to believe that they will still personally witness the prophesied end times. Such stances can be disregarded without risk, I think... according to Malthus, the 10 billion mark should have been exceeded many many decades ago already.

People who are in a position to make a rational tradeoff between procreation and other activities (have a career, travel, buy nice things, ...) typically decide against procreation above replacement level, that's what all of our species' economic history tells us.

May 24, 2012 -- 9:10PM, mountain_man wrote:

No one can predict the future. This guy may have an opinion, but anyone can put a bunch of factors and beliefs together and claim anything they want.

This is, simply speaking, a wrong and unscientific statement.

Many would say that we are "overcrowded" now.

Sure we are, compared to stone age times or antiquity. Urban living-together is an art form, sort of, and I guess it will be a "selection criterion" of growing importance for our species. It is the only way we can prevent the collapse of nature - we cannot all live in the remaining natural ecosystems. It is good to read news like recently from China, where now more than 50% of the population live in urban environments. No more sprawl, let the people live socially in the cities, not claiming land that should remain nature's and other species'!

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 25, 2012 - 2:31PM #5
mytmouse57

"Overcrowded" is a relative term.

I've lived in the rural Rocky Mountain West nearly my entire life.

And while I love to visit big metro areas, in terms of living, any place bigger than about 70,000 people is just intolerable for me. 

Also, depending on my mood and what I'm doing, my "personal space" can be in terms of hundreds of yards, or even miles. 

Fortunately, here in Wyoming, that's easily doable. Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 25, 2012 - 6:16PM #6
Ebon

Yet another reason to pour money into space research and get off this rock.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 25, 2012 - 9:37PM #7
mountain_man

May 25, 2012 -- 3:04AM, CharikIeia wrote:

...People who are in a position to make a rational tradeoff between procreation and other activities (have a career, travel, buy nice things, ...) typically decide against procreation above replacement level, that's what all of our species' economic history tells us.

That's what my ex wife and I decided; just two. However my eldest daughter decided to have five.

This is, simply speaking, a wrong and unscientific statement.

That's my point. Anyone can take some disconnected facts, connect them, mix in some conjecture, and make a claim. Of course it's not scientific. That's basically what this author did, and mixed in some religious beliefs along with it.

Sure we are, compared to stone age times or antiquity. Urban living-together is an art form, sort of, and I guess it will be a "selection criterion" of growing importance for our species....

That is not the kind of "overcrowding" I'm talking about. We have long past the sustainable limit of the Earth and it's ecosystems. We cannot sustain this kind of growth and consumption for much longer. The resources of this planet are finite. Everyone living in cities won't change that.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 25, 2012 - 11:38PM #8
Ebon

The question is, what can be done about overpopulation (short of, as I said, getting off this rock)?

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 25, 2012 - 11:43PM #9
teilhard

The Problem ISN'T "this Rock" ...

WE are The Problem ...

May 25, 2012 -- 6:16PM, Ebon wrote:

Yet another reason to pour money into space research and get off this rock.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 25, 2012 - 11:46PM #10
Ebon

May 25, 2012 -- 11:43PM, teilhard wrote:

The Problem ISN'T "this Rock" ...

WE are The Problem ...

That's as maybe but this planet and it's ecosystem are finite resources so we either need to figure out a way of scaling back the population (that DOESN'T involve massacring people) or convince people to stop having children (again, without killing them) or we expand into space.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook